Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fee to empty mini bar fridge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by potm
A lot of hotels I stay in at now have given up on the mini bar and just have an empty fridge.
There must only be a very small percentage of people who actually pay the exhorbitant prices.
I once booked into the Pullman Hotel at Brussels Midi train station. Was pleasantly surprised when at reception, I was told that the mini bar is not stocked and I was free to go to the supermarket and stock it with what I need.
Needless to say, they gained a very loyal new customer...…..(It also helped that all their TV Channels were for free)...
polkacat likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Many hotels list 'air conditioning' as a feature in the room.

How many people would be OK if the hotel said "Yes, the room HAS air conditioning- but there is a fee of $50 to actually USE it"

IMO if a hotel lists a fridge as a feature there cannot be an additional fee to use it. (Note listing a 'mini bar- fee applies' is a different story.)

Finally, I have stayed at a few hotels that will bring a second fridge to the room, no charge- if you need it. If you want, tell them you have medications that require refrigeration....iver never had to.
Actually in many parts of Asia hotels (normally budget/low end) do charge to run the AC. You get a card and top off as needed. AC is still listed as an amenity. Unless its listed as no fee/free they can charge for it.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Same thing with the mini-fridge on the cruise ships.
Beware the shelf life of some of the crap that is in the fridge !
Previous guest mad as the dickens likes his revenge "Shaken not stirred" !
Open a can of beer or carbonated beverage and have a champagne shower !
Another method is changing the themostat/temperature "Some like it HOT" !
Watch out for amber color liquors being switched with something most foul - check the seal !
Some convenience #@%&*^$ !
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by DLERT
Same thing with the mini-fridge on the cruise ships.
Beware the shelf life of some of the crap that is in the fridge !
Previous guest mad as the dickens likes his revenge "Shaken not stirred" !
Open a can of beer or carbonated beverage and have a champagne shower !
Another method is changing the themostat/temperature "Some like it HOT" !
Watch out for amber color liquors being switched with something most foul - check the seal !
Some convenience #@%&*^$ !
Which cruise line do you sail with? Remind me to avoid them if ever I go on a cruise!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by potm
A lot of hotels I stay in at now have given up on the mini bar and just have an empty fridge.
There must only be a very small percentage of people who actually pay the exhorbitant prices.
Aside from 4-5 star places, all hotels in Japan provide an empty fridge.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
I always ask that alcohol be removed from the room.
MimiB22 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
I can remember when hotels charged a "corkage" fee if you brought your own liquor in to your room.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
This probably indicates a broader nickel and diming approach to guests - i d stay away from such hotel.
Can you name the property?
It’s a Marriott. Nickel-and-diming should be assumed, and budgeted for against perceived savings.
EuropeanPete and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:10 pm

50 euros worth of labor and accounting? Ridiculous. It's a ploy to prevent people from using the refrigerators for their own things. Hotels want to charge exorbitant fees for their own stuff. However, most hotels will remove the fee if you complain. Should not be necessary, but sometimes it is.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by picturegal
I can remember when hotels charged a "corkage" fee if you brought your own liquor in to your room.
We were stung once in Europe many years ago with this. To this day, I will still walk out with a shopping bag containing the empties, and drop them off at the supermarket recycling bins.
Unless, of course, there are bins in the hotel corridors, which, in that case, they get dumped in there - a bit at a time.
cranford likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA MM
I guess the OP asked the hotel to remove the contents of the fridge? I almost always use the hotel fridge, mini-bar or not, as I try to eat healthy when I travel and often make my own salad. I just stick my stuff in there around the existing junk put there by the hotel, trying not to move their stuff due to the sensors, but sometimes I have to. It is very rare that there is an attempt to charge me, and if so, I simply say that I had to move things around to see what was available, but did not consume anything. Yes I guess some times I have had to remove some bottles to make room for my own stuff but, knock on wood, never had an issue. I would not have occurred to me to ask the hotel to remove the contents, interesting idea.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Alaska air
I never worry about this. If the property refuses to remove the charge I simply dispute it with the credit card provider I have an excellent success rate doing so. If more people would do this it might teach these properties a lesson.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
We were stung once in Europe many years ago with this. To this day, I will still walk out with a shopping bag containing the empties, and drop them off at the supermarket recycling bins.
Unless, of course, there are bins in the hotel corridors, which, in that case, they get dumped in there - a bit at a time.
For some reason this post has given me an image of you walking around with cans and bottles stuffed down your trousers and shaking them out your trouser leg one by one as you stroll around a hotel grounds...
fdem and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

For some reason this post has given me an image of you walking around with cans and bottles stuffed down your trousers and shaking them out your trouser leg one by one as you stroll around a hotel grounds...

Haha - not quite, but does sound like the making of a Comedy sketch....
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by peroorim
Staying at a Marriott (Bonvoy) autograph in France and was just quoted 50 EUR to empty the mini bar fridge in my room. We wanted to store some water bottles. Is that typical in France?
I don't understand why you are wasting your time with a conversation. Just return the room as you got it, surely?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.