Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fee to empty mini bar fridge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
LOL. Good one.

Honestly, this is my first JW stay. Actually, this is my first Marriott chain stay. (Been with Starwood for 10 years now). When they said there is a fee to it, I told my wife "it must be a Marriott thing".
Rolling on the floor laughing. I know of at least two Starwood Properties that had this fee.

I guess "anything we don't like we can blame on Marriott" must be a Starwood thing.
dgreen12 and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by guybaxy
just go to the front desk and tell them you need the fridge for the storage of you life saving medicines - works every time
Actually back when the Starwood resorts at Disney had minibars if you did this, they bought you a "medication refrigerator". It was about the size of a safe, but it worked. (Had friends with kids who needed insulin who always got one)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JBord
If this from your actual experience? I ask because there are two things wrong with your post:

1. I've never had a problem doing this or having charges wiped from my bill
2. If I were going to go to the 7-11 to buy identical booze for half the price, then why in the world would I go to all the trouble of taking from the minibar and replacing? Because it's easier to go to the 7-11 at the end of my stay rather than at the beginning?

Anyway, whether hotels like it or not, it's a very simple solution that works just fine, and is generally drama-free.
1. I agree, they pretty much always will remove the charge.
2. Yes, exactly. You go once at the end of your stay when you know exactly what you need to replace.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Although I suppose technically they could still try to charge a fee for this. Or just bring a padlock to the room . Especially when they see you sipping a cocktail at the bar that evening!

Seriously, the easiest way to do this, without needing to lie or waste a lot of time is just remove stuff, put it back before you leave and stop once at the desk to remove any charges. You can't be charged for removing stuff (if you put it back), but not consuming it.
more modern minibars, especially those electronically connected, can be remotedly locked by the front desk. this is very commonly done when guests run out of credit midstay or refuse to provide a cc preauthorization when checking-in on a prepaid booking. also, when guests request due to children staying in the room.
peroorim likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by oopl
Did they misunderstand your request?
I doubt that they miss understood my request as I called the front desk again after asking in person and the answer was the same.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oopl
Did they misunderstand your request?
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Some minibars have pressure sensors and charge you when you move things.
that’s why I have asked for them to empty the mini bar so they don’t think I used anything
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
This probably indicates a broader nickel and diming approach to guests - i d stay away from such hotel.
Can you name the property?
You are absolutely right but might be too late for our current stay. We are on a 7 night certificate at the Boscolo Exedra Nice under husband name (who has Gold status with zero recognition at this property).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I am currently staying at the JW on Cannes and was quoted the same fee for clearing the mini bar.

I then asked if I could just keep some items on top of the fridge, they said that was ok. Doesn't make any sense really.
Probably a practice in the region. I am in Nice

Last edited by peroorim; Jun 8, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
To futherr clarify...there is only one autograph property is paris...it lists BOTH:

mini-Bar for a fee

AND

mini-refrigerator

So- the hotel posts BOTH as amenities.... importantly, they list the minibar as having a fee, since their posting of an ''amenity' can be construed to be a contract, and they dont want people claiming 'they listed a minimar as an included amenity, so I drank it". By then listing a refrige, without a fee, it is -or should be- a free amenity.

Its that simple, in the case of the Paris location. IMO of course

I am staying in Nice.

Last edited by peroorim; Jun 8, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Rolling on the floor laughing. I know of at least two Starwood Properties that had this fee.

I guess "anything we don't like we can blame on Marriott" must be a Starwood thing.

Guess the guy didn't read what I wrote....the St. Regis had this fee. Maybe he will assume they just added it after the merger.

Question though, since most of these hotels aren't owned by Marriott (or Starwood before), would the be *required* to charge certain fees? Or do they just do this "because they can"?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by peroorim
Staying at a Marriott (Bonvoy) autograph in France and was just quoted 50 EUR to empty the mini bar fridge in my room. We wanted to store some water bottles. Is that typical in France?
that fee amount is ridiculous. I guess some fee is like a corkage fee.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by peroorim
Staying at a Marriott (Bonvoy) autograph in France and was just quoted 50 EUR to empty the mini bar fridge in my room. We wanted to store some water bottles. Is that typical in France?
Neither the W Opera nor the Marriott Rive Gauche have such a fee. At the Rive Gauche, in fact, the mini-bar CONTENTS are free with your stay, at least as an ambassador in a suite...not sure if this is a status and/or room type benefit or standard policy. At the W Opera, they just told me to make sure I put everything back before checkout.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
This could be so hilarious if it were not so sad. At what lengths do some hotels go to squeeze out a further dime from customers. That must be a guarantee to never have customer return.

I often have long-time stays at hotels (1-3 weeks). What I usually do at check-in is to ask them to clear out the mini bar (and snack bar) completely and openly state that I will be buying some drinks and food from a local store. Not because I am a scrooge, but because I do not want to persist on an evening diet of coke, mini-jack-daniels and potato chips.

I have NEVER had the hotel charge me (or even complain) at that request. Quite the opposite: In the last hotel in Hong Kong I stayed, they even recommended a supermarket down the street, where I could stock up on fruit.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I have eaten a $6 Snickers from the mini-bar at midnight, and replaced it with a $0.90 one from 7-11 the next morning....
You replaced a year old one with a fresh one. It sounds like you did them a favor.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Stayed at Caesars Palace in Vegas some years ago and it was fitted with a "sensor" mini bar/refrigerator. Called room service and a man was at the door with another refrigerator for me within five minutes. No extra charge and that's what I call good service.
strickerj and MimiB22 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.