Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by tommy777
Just got off the phone with Plat Concierge. The 40 bucks include local calls, wireless internet, the golf cart service, tennis, health club and free valet parking.
That's ridiculous. Having visited that property, I never used any one of those services.

A BIG .
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:21 pm

I just returned January 3rd and there was no valet service! Resort fee is total BS!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, Aeroplan
The Westin St. John Resort & Villas is moving down to Category 5 as of Mar 2, 2009 and it will require only 12K points even in peak season.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Few quick questions for those that have stayed before. I'm planning a November stay for my wife and I, plus another couple.

1. How crowded should I expect it to be in November?

2. Mostly families here, mostly couples?

3. Transit time to/from airport in St. Thomas?

4. Is this an appropriate place for a 3-night stay, or is that too short to enjoy?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Few quick questions for those that have stayed before. I'm planning a November stay for my wife and I, plus another couple.

1. How crowded should I expect it to be in November?

2. Mostly families here, mostly couples?

3. Transit time to/from airport in St. Thomas?

4. Is this an appropriate place for a 3-night stay, or is that too short to enjoy?
Been there in early Nov before.
1. Not crowded at all unless a large group is holding a conference there. Even then, the pool area would be uncrowded during much of the day. You would only see crowds on St John at Trunk Bay when the cruise ships are in port at neighboring St Thomas. Peak tourist season is from Christmas through March.
2. Mainly adults in Nov but a few families with little ones (kids under school age)
3. Depends on your choice of transit. If using the Westin ferry, then it depends on how close your flight arrival time coincides with the ferry's schedule. At best, it's 1 hour (10-min shuttle ride from airport to port, 10-min unloading/loading of ferry, 40-min ferry ride to the Westin--all rough estimates).
If you rent a car/cab it to Red Hook, can take from 20 mins to a lot longer depending on traffic (lots when cruise ships are in Charlotte Amalie), wait time, then 20-min ferry ride to Cruz Bay on St John, then a 5 min drive/cab ride to the Westin.
4. 3-nt stay is pretty darn short if you want to explore the island of St John and lounge/snorkel at all the various, wonderful beaches on the North Side as well as Coral Bay and the Southeast Side (Rams Head, Salt Pond Bay, Lamshur Bays).
IMO, a 5-nt stay would be the recommended MINIMUM for the average tourist mixing in a bit of activity (snorkel, boat trip to BVI's, sailing, hiking) with a fair amount of time to lounge around the Westin pool or North Side beaches. Then again, there are plenty of cruise ship passengers who do an excursion from St Thomas and think they've seen enough of St John in a 12-hour period or less.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I can't ever seem to score a suite upgrade at this hotel . Thought I would share some photos of a pool-view room, though...

Bed

Entryway & TV

View Through Window to Patio

Patio
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by owner1
after getting slammed by the outrageous Westin Ferry fee, I took it upon ourself to take a 2 dollar cab ride downtown and take the ferry to Redhook I believe and then take a $5 dollar cab ride to the airport from there.

The Ferry thing is just a blatant rip off, so is a $40 resort fee.

Cannot believe this property is 20k per night, and the whole island comes to use the pool for free..

We did enjoy ourselves when we stayed, but I just feel the fees are outrageous.

FV
We just returned from two weekend nights at this property on the summer award and thought that the ferry was one of the best bargins at $100 per person through the entire stay. Our AA flight from MIA was delayed for an hour, and knowing that the hotel was providing transportation for us when we arrived at 10:00 PM was reassuring. We went to the Hotel's waiting room next to baggage claim, and when other 4 Westin guests on the flight retreived their luggage, we were taken by truck-cab to Red Hook where a private boat took us to the hotel. We also took the Westin boat back to downtown Charlotte Amalie for our return where the hotel had two truck-cabs positioned to take us back to the airport. The Westin service also includes unlimited use of the ferry and we used the service on Saturday to take us to St. Thomas for shopping and then to return to the hotel. Upon arriving at the Crown Bay pier, cabs hired by the hotel were on standby to take us to the shopping area.

Checkin occurred at the airport, and the hotel representative recognized my Platinum status, and was able to upgrade us to room 1611, which had location, location, location next to the pool and a few feet from the ocean. Others asked about the resort fee, and yes, it now is $40 per day per room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are reasonably priced, and quite good. We used the golf carts to see the property, and the computer in the lobby for printing AA boarding passes. Mrs Life_PLatinum used the spa and found the services very much to her liking.

Upon having breakfast overlooking the dock, we were able to watch activities as the Westin ferries came and went. One unusual activity was that the arriving Westin workers arriving on the 7 AM and 8 AM ferries were greeted by someone in management. After watching this activity we asked the greeter what position he held at the hotel, and he said he was the recently reappointed new general manager who had been in charge of this property many years ago. He now looked forward to returning for a few months before his retirement. Another hotel employee said that the staff were delighted with this manager's return, as his expertise was customer service, and that he had taught many of the employees how they should treat guests. Needless to say we were impressed, especially when on another occasion, my wife was waiting for a ride to the spa, the manager saw her, and offered her a ride to her destination that was out of the way.

Mid-September is low season for this hotel, and the hotel appeared half-empty. Most guests were couples, although we did spot a few families with children. On Saturday when we went shopping at Charlotte Amalie, there were no boats in town (low season), and some of the stores were closed, and others closed early. However, my wife was able to find jewelry to her liking that was reduced at the world famous H Stern Outlet.

Because the restaurant noted for fine dining was closed at the hotel, we went to Cruz Bay at ate at Rhum Lines where we enjoyed the food and the entertainment. To do this required a $10 cab ride each way that took about 5 minutes. Owner 1 posted that half the island comes for free to use the pool, but it appeared to us that all using the pool on the many occasions we visited the pool were hotel guests. Security does police the grounds and we felt very secure, in contrast to a couple of upscale properties where we stayed in St. Thomas previously.

One of the interesting activities at this hotel is watching the iguanas, as the hotel has daily feeding at 3 PM for these reptiles behind the gazebo near building 10. I also visited these animals later in the afternoon and found at least 10 of them in a tree sunning themselves and another 10 on nearby rocks. Some are at least 3 feet long!!

A.L.C.O. mentioned that he has been unable to snag a suite at this property. I asked the manager, Kim Chappel why this was so as we too were not assigned to a suite, and he said that there is only 2 suites on the entire property. There was a decision made not to build suites when the newest buildings went up this year, although consideration was given to do so.

In conclusion, we found this a well maintained property, and the staff was exceptional. My wife commented that she never has been greeted by some many different staff members, all with smiles, as occurred here. We remembered a few years ago when we were at the ST. Thomas Marriott, the manager told us the biggest challange that he had was getting the hotel staff to provide acceptable service to their customers. Somehow, the Westin has solved this problem. One of the most remarkable people at the hotel is the General Manager, Kim Chappel. He was the kind of person I suspect that all of us would want to hire if we were the owners of the Westin St. John.

Although we spent only two nights at this property, and we flew down from NYC, we concluded that we would be willing to take another weekend at this property next year at the same time, barring any hurracaines.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:13 pm

food prices and roll away

Can someone give me estimates for food prices, excluding alcohol please. How many restaurants do they have? Are there restaurants outside the hotel you can walk to, or do you need a car? We would need a roll away for son, is the room still large enough to move around in? Pictures of room doesn't look too impressive! What would you rank this resort if it was located in FL? Thanks for info!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by adgtravel
Can someone give me estimates for food prices, excluding alcohol please. How many restaurants do they have? Are there restaurants outside the hotel you can walk to, or do you need a car? We would need a roll away for son, is the room still large enough to move around in? Pictures of room doesn't look too impressive! What would you rank this resort if it was located in FL? Thanks for info!
We've stayed there and rented a privately owned villa once. Staying at the Westin is nice, but you'll need to hop on a taxi to get to town (it's a long walk up and down hills) to get to other restaurants. I highly recommend using the taxi services to get to town and even to the north shore beaches if you aren't renting a car. Don't eat all your meals at the resort, there are a lot of good places to eat in town too. My wife and I can eat for about $90/day in St. John. But, we aren't big eaters so I don't know about others budgets. At $90 a day we seem to do just fine. Also, if you are staying for about a week (not a reward stay) and you're already thinking about renting a car then have you looked into renting a villa where you can cooked some of your own meals?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Delta - Platinum
Worst Hotel Ever!!!!

Whatever you do, do not stay at the Westin St. John. I am currently in the middle of a 10 night stay and if I hadn't used points, I would have caught the first flight out of here.
Here are just some of the problems I've encountered in the last 5 days.
First, as a plat member, I was given a regular room on in a SPG building of the hotel. I had hoped for a suite or a villa, but I was willing to settle with a room. Upon entering the room, I immediately saw stains on the carpet in front of the doorway and ripped carpeting in front of the bed. I spoke to the front desk manage about the problems in the room. I was told, due to the high volume of the holiday season, I could not be moved until after the new year.
Second, I had already come to terms with paying the ridiculous resort fee before I checked into the resort. However, I expect the services I am paying for to work. The internet in the rooms was so slow, I am forced to type this message on my Iphone.
Next, I was awarded beverages and snacks for my plat "gift". It didn't show up the first day, or the second. I called to check on it the second day and was told it would "be there shortly". When it didn't arrive by the end of the third day, I called again. I was told it would "be there shortly". This time it did arrive. But it wasn't what they had promised me.
On the second day I was at the resort, I stopped by the concierge desk to set up some tours and make plans for the New Years Eve holiday. After taking phone call after phone call, the concierge finally attended to my questions...only to be interrupted two more times by the phone...I made my New Years Eve plans and went on my way. The next day, I decided to change the time of my New Years Eve reservation and stopped by the concierge desk again, only to find that the original concierge had never recorded my reservation!
The icing on the cake was the false advertisement of their "New Years Eve Party". I was told by the concierge on our first day that it was $50/person. I went at my appointed time, ate, and received the bill. I was flabbergasted to see that I was charged $95/person! Immediately, I took the bill and headed to the concierge desk. No one was available, so I spoke to the front desk manager. She was extremely unhelpful telling me over and over that $95 was the price. She didn't even attempt to find out where I'd gotten the false information.
After reading the mixed reviews, I felt trepidation about staying at the Westin St. John, however, I decided to hope for the best and continue on with my plans. At this point, I admit that was a bad decision.
I'm trying to make the best of the situation, since I am "stuck" here. However, I would love to be able to stop other SPG members from making the same bad choice I have made.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:01 pm

I am also currently at the Hotel on an award stay as well and I have to say i came here wih low expectations and have been pleasnly surprised. I am here with my kids and its a total kids resort this week. I would never come here with just my wife, its a PERFECT family resort.

First of all DO NOT use the hotel ferry to come to hotel, Take a water taxi, depending on how many people in your party it may be cheeper however its on your schedule i have heard people waiting in airport for 2+hrs for ferry.

I will say the rooms are nothing to write home about however i did not expect much.

the grounds of hotel are quite beautiful and the beach is nice.

Breakfast at resturant is WAY over priced, try the deli on the property you can get coffee and bagles other things there.

as for lunch we order at 11:45 to our chairs so we beat the rush.

There are so many people on award stays, i am aware of at least 10 other people. not sure if anyone actually pays the price to be here.

If SPG had and other decent properties in Carribian i would deffintly go there, but they dont, so if you want to spend points this is not a bad place to do it.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
So it appears the key to having an enjoyable stay here is to come in with low expectations, don't eat at the hotel, don't mind torn and stained carpets, don't use the hotel ferry, order your food before you may really want it b/c of slow service during busy times, and don't stay at this hotel if there are ever other options in the carrib. That advert almost writes itself doesn't it?!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by dingo
So it appears the key to having an enjoyable stay here is to come in with low expectations, don't eat at the hotel, don't mind torn and stained carpets, don't use the hotel ferry, order your food before you may really want it b/c of slow service during busy times, and don't stay at this hotel if there are ever other options in the carrib. That advert almost writes itself doesn't it?!
[stepping on the soapbox]
That's actually a good set of tips for most resorts in the Caribbean (or at least those on a desirable locale). It's pretty obvious that service and maintenance in the Caribbean is not on par with that of other N American (Canada, US & Mexico) resorts. It's the islands mon. It's not for everyone. That's why there are cruises and the Riviera Maya all-inclusives for the masses. But some people will gladly pay the premiums and put up with certain issues to visit islands with white sand beaches and turquoise waters.
[stepping off the soapbox now]

The Westin St John has 3 important things going for SPG Members: (1) it's a SPG property, (2) nice pool, and (3) most importantly, it's on a paradisiacal island, St John USVI; two-third's of it being a national park. The only other resort option on St John is the Rosewood Caneel Bay which has significantly higher rates than the Westin and is more spartan.

Besides, lounging under the sun at one of the pristine beaches on the north side of St John has a way of drowning out all the issues back at the Westin.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:34 am

Having just returned from the Westin St. Johns I would like to share some of my experiences. Currently the hotel has an interim manager as the previous manager resigned. I spoke with someone at the front desk as she indicated to me that about 70% of all reservations at the hotel are on points year round, (I cannot confirm this number I can only repeat what was shared by a hotel employee), this might explain the $40.00 resort fee (doesn’t make the fee right). I think this hotel is a hotel that people “love to hate”, the resort in my mind is a 3.5* resort, definitely not a 5* and really not a 4* as the hotel lacks many services and amenities that make hotels 4 & 5*’s. I think many people go to this hotel expecting a 4* hotel experience and are disappointed, people need to realize its definitely not to that level and if they arrive at the hotel with realistic expectations the will like the hotel and love the island. Personally I used points for my stay and definitely would not have paid more than 275.00 per night for the rooms and service. The rate at the time I was at hotel was $550 for a garden view room + tax +service charge + resort fee, It brought the total nightly cost to over $675.00. For that price you I know many other places I would rather go, but on points 12,000 per night + $40 resort fee it was GREAT!

We were there during the week between Christmas and New Years, we always travel that week and no matter where we go, Ritz Carlton, Four Season or other luxury hotels there are generally service problems that week. Hotels during that period are running 100% and many rooms have 3 or 4 people in them when you factor kids sharing rooms with parents. This effective puts occupancy at well over 100% and this will tax the service at ANY hotel. (I am sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with this however after years of traveling during this period I have found this to be the my experience unless you go to a real small hotel). During our stay the there was a night were our building had 2 false fire alarms go off the hotel added a $100 credit to our room without asking.

First let me say the grounds of the hotel are very nice, the hotel is on a very big piece of land for the number of rooms they have it felt busy however the density of people was not bad. The pool area is HUGE and there are plenty of chairs. The beach which is nice, not as nice as some of the other beaches on the island (this is due to the fact that the beach at the hotel is manmade).

The rooms are just OK and really could use new carpeting, the bathroom in our room seemed to be recently renovated. All rooms have flat panel TV and refrigerators (the mini bars have been removed). It wouldn’t take much in my mind to “fix up” the rooms (at least the one I was in).

Breakfast at the hotel in the Beach Bar restaurant, it’s a average Westin buffet priced at $24/person, if you are not in the mood for a full heavy breakfast there is Mangos Deli on the property and you can get coffee, fruit, bagels & other items there. We opted to eat at the Deli most mornings as we are just not breakfast people.

Lunch was quite hectic at the hotel the kitchen was definitely “overwhelmed” with the number of orders. Some orders took an unreasonably long time to arrive and others were incorrect however I saw firsthand that the staff was comping the meal for tables that had problems. Again it doesn’t make the problem right; it just demonstrates that the staff and the hotel were taking responsibility for the problems.

All in all we had a great time at the hotel, my kids love it there. I would not go back there with just my wife, i think its a perfect family resort. We will be booking our trip for next Christmas as soon as flights are avalibl. Just remeber to go there with realistic expectations of a 3.5* hotel and remeber you are in the islands and things there are on "island time" and you will enjoy your trip.

Here are some suggestions for people going there

Transportation from the airport:

The Hotel has its own ferry its prices at $100 per person round trip however what they don’t tell you is that you may have to wait for the ferry up to 3 hours depending on your arrival time. They drive you to the ferry in a cab that they pack with other people. We took a water taxi; it was $175 each way (total not per person, if you are more than 3 its more economical however even with 2 I would definitely go with Dohm’s rather than the hotel boat) including the taxi transfer from the airport. We left the airport as soon as our bags we ready and went in our own cab to the water taxi which took us right to the dock at the Westin. We saw people who were on our flight arriving hours after we got to the hotel. The name of the company is Dohm’s Water Taxi 340 775-6501 http://www.virginislandswatertaxi.com call them they arrange everything.

Restaurants

We found all the restaurants on the island to be good to very good and reasonably priced. We at at the hotel one night at it was ok it was a buffet and I personally don’t like buffets. Here are some restaurant recommendations

ZOZO’s – Italian food, touted at the best restaurant on the island, you need reservations great views of St.Thomas, nice views of St Tomas

Asolare – Pan Asian food , to me this was the best restaurant on island.

Rumb Lines – Thai inspired food (personally I don’t like Thai food, however I really liked this place) in town outdoors no view its in a courtyard however it’s a lot of fun

Lime Inn – Grilled fish and Lobsters in town one of my favorites!

Uncle Joes BBQ – Awesome BBQ across from the post office on the corner, there is no sign just follow your nose and the smell will take you to outstanding ribs. REAL REAL casual
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: ALL
Laptop / Internet connection

Does anyone know if you need to your own CAT cable to connect to the internet in the room (or is there a CAT cable fixed to the desk that you must use)? I'm wondering if we can bring our own cable to browse the web from bed.

Also, can anyone comment on the size of the safes? Could a smaller laptop (ie 13'' screen) fit inside?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.