Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]

The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]

Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold

Hi all,

did anyone recently stay at the Westin St. John's? I checked some of the travel review sites and saw mixed reviews...apparently there is currently some construction going on.

I am planning to take my wife for a 7 night getaway middle of March.

Any input regarding this resort and upgrades (I'm SPG Plat) would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Steve

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 12, 2008 at 10:42 am Reason: Prior reports http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/898498-westin-st-john-usvi-2000-2006-master-thread.html
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Stayed there with the family in October. Construction was going on but wasn't at all in the way. One of the pool restaurants was closed which was a bummer. It was low season so it was pretty quiet. Can't comment on upgrades because I was using my timeshare. The grounds are beautiful, Westin Beach is OK at best. Explore the island! It is incredible.

riverdoglb
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:05 am

Was there late August. Construction not a problem if you have a room near the pool / beach. ( They are building up the top of the hill)

Had a great stay, but was booked with SPG points at 10 K a night . Not sure I would have been quite so happy at 16k a night or paying $400 a night+.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:15 am

On Upgrades ......

Has given a real crap room up near the construction firs of all. I am Plat. Was very unhappy. Phoned and was told by the desk nothing they could do as resort very busy. They would put me on a wait list for a room change as and when became available phone back early evening. I phoned back and was told still no joy.

Went out for a meal and on passing back through reception asked the front desK again. A receptionist stated nothing as yet but will try again tomorrow.... I was not aggresive or rude , but just pointed out that I had come all the way from the UK and they had given me one of the only rooms without a balcony, now a manager on the front desk semi overheard the conversation and came and asked what the problem was.

As I said " I am not very happy with my room as it is in a poor position, in a bad state of repair and has no balcony " would really like a room change when one becomes available as I am SPG plat etc. " I will sort that for you now Sir " said the manager and imeaditaly found a pool side renovated room , new plasma TV etc and even had my bags moved "

The manager did not seem to impressed with the receptionist......

So if you have a room problem , I would reccomend speaking to someone senior on the front desk.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Westin St John

The beach there stinks, but Trunk Bay is a great beach 5 minutes away.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
We'll be staying there soon too. How to you get to Trunk Bay, can you just walk, do you need a car?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by javabean
We'll be staying there soon too. How to you get to Trunk Bay, can you just walk, do you need a car?
You can either take a Taxi which are usually waiting outside the hotel check in or you can rent a car. Not wise to walk, especially at night. There are many beautiful beaches 5-15 minutes away (by car) from the hotel.

riverdoglb
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Starwood is converting a number of hillside rooms to new timeshares. I assume that is what the construction is.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
It's actually more like 20 minutes if you have your own vehicle. It takes at least 5 minutes to get into Cruz Bay.

Westin St John is a terrific family resort as long as you remember itz in the islands mon...so expect island time, island service; so better to be limin' then gettin all upset

Went there this past October and here's a link to my trip report
http://tinyurl.com/y2s5vh
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by javabean
You cant really walk anywhere. I thought I would be able to walk to town , but to do so you have to go up and down almost a mountain. By the time you get to town you will be a mess of sweat. Taxi not expensive , but we rented a small jeep which I would highly reccomend. Lets you explore the remote part of the Island and some great small beaches.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:26 am

We avoided driving into town because we heard bad things about parking. That said, I also read that there is a rental agency in Cruz Bay,. and if you rent there, they let you use their lot for parking - a big advantage.

We found it easier to rent a car at the Westin and take cabs the few times we went to Cruz Bay.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
Thanks!

Thanks all!

We went ahead and booked for 7 nights using SPG50% discount off rack rate for early March. Platinum Concierge was very helpful and entered request for upgrade away from construction site.

Will let you know how it was!

Thanks again!

Steve
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:43 am

Make absolutely certain that you book the restaurant Zozo's and arrive 30 minutes or so before sundown. You'll have a great meal as you watch the most beautiful sunset imaginable. Enjoy!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Some great restaurants on St. John - Chateaux Bordeau, Asolare, Stone Terrace to name a few. Make sure to get over to the East End and enjoy the drive, the solitude and conch fritters at Vie's Snack Shack.

A number of the car rental agencies in Cruz Bay allow you to park in their lots when in town. A 4WD is helpful if planning on exploring beyond Trunk Bay.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'll be going to St. Thomas in February and my wife wants to vist St. John which is only a 20 minute ferry ride.

Other than the great dining suggestions above, what are the highlights to see in St. John? Is is best to rent a car near the ferry dock when I get there to see these places?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.