Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
I stayed there last year and I stayed at the Westin in Grand Bahama this year that I thought was actually much better. Your 4 year old will also prefer it.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
To answer your questions, as a platinum I have received a pool view upgrade and a beachfront upgrade. This is a great property for kids and a wonderful island. Have fun!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
I would expect an upgrade to a PoolView room, which I recommend since it is so central to the property. These rooms are right in the middle, no bigger than any other room, but the location is great. The property is very well kept and beautiful in that central area.

One point to note, the "Westin Taxis" are abundant in the front circle and are easy to use to get to town but the fares seem to differ by driver. I would think this would be regulated but maybe not. Fares ranged from a flat $4 per person to $6 per person, obviously the difference of $8, $10 with tip, for a fam of four. I would ask before you get in. I'm really not that cheap, but the variation irked me.

I recommend eating off property, going to town and checking out Asolare, and our favorite: Paradiso in Mongoose Junction.

Last edited by gozetta; Oct 29, 2008 at 9:34 pm
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:46 pm

I was there this past weekend and received an upgrade to a pool view room (as SPG Gold). I was actually somewhat impressed - it was the first room on the south end of building 11 and appeared to be a little longer than the rest of the rooms in the building. About 5-10 steps to the nearest deck chair from the patio, 10-15 to the cabana my friends were renting.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:47 pm

Westin St. John, Virgin Islands = avoid

We stayed at Westin St. John on early Dec. 2008.

This was our second visit to Westin St. John, Virgin Islands in 5 years. Compared to our previous visit filled with great memories, this visit to Westin has been disappointing. This hotel does not belong in SPG 6 star category.

First of all, Westin St. John is in a dire need of updating and renovation. Rooms are very dated and dirty. Room curtains and shower curtain had blood stains on them and carpet were disgusting. Our room door (#1616) would not close properly requiring near slamming to properly close it. A loud squeaking door will waking up my wife when I try to leave for conference early morning.

Second, we are concerned about sanitary status of Beach Cafe and Snorkel's restaurants. There were 3-4 cats roaming freely within restaurant. Cats running under your dining table and brushing up on your legs during dining is not what I would expect in any hotel restaurant. This would not be allowed in any established hotel. If this is allowed in dining room, I am seriously concerned about the sanitary status of kitchen.

Third, room amenities were bare. For example, our room did not have a laundry plastic bag (when we requested, we were given a trash bag).

Has been disappointing experience.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
I've stayed there before (Nov 2006) too and have enjoyed it for what it is - a 3-4 star family resort in the Caribbean. But this rant doesn't belong in the Luxury Hotels forum. More apropos in the Starwood forum.

I don't think anyone else here (myself included) would consider the Westin St John a "luxury" resort.

For luxury on St John, USVI, you should have considered Caneel Bay, a Rosewood resort, although it too has outdated and spartan rooms but it's got seven fabulous beaches and expansive grounds. Or you should have considered one of the private luxury villas in exclusive Peter Bay.

Or try Caneel's sister Rosewood resort, Little Dix Bay, on Virgin Gorda, BVI. There's even packages that combine stays at both.

Something to consider for your next visit.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
I've stayed there before (Nov 2006) too and have enjoyed it for what it is - a 3-4 star family resort in the Caribbean. But this rant doesn't belong in the Luxury Hotels forum. More apropos in the Starwood forum.

I don't think anyone else here (myself included) would consider the Westin St John a "luxury" resort.

For luxury on St John, USVI, you should have considered Caneel Bay, a Rosewood resort, although it too has outdated and spartan rooms but it's got seven fabulous beaches and expansive grounds. Or you should have considered one of the private luxury villas in exclusive Peter Bay.

Or try Caneel's sister Rosewood resort, Little Dix Bay, on Virgin Gorda, BVI. There's even packages that combine stays at both.

Something to consider for your next visit.
If you want luxury with all the accoutrements, the Virgin Islands really isn't the spot for you, IMO. I've been going down to St. John for 30 years(helps that I have a free place to crash down there), and I go down there for the blissful calm of the beaches and some fun sailing and snorkling. But its not a place I'd expect really fine dining or spotless cleanliness(when a hurrican passes quite close by once a year, simply keeping everything intact can be a chore). Its stil very nice, but its not 5* accomadations. I'd personally recommend renting a villa(there are quite many on the island), renting a jeep, and enjoying the island that way. I'm sorry it sounds like even the service you had wasn't great, because one of the things I've always enjoyed in the islands is the very friendly atmosphere(doesn't hurt when you get free rum drinks on arrival).

But to each their own.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
As we see, the opinions on this property vary greatly. I would return for another stay, knowing some of these things are reality at most Carib locations.
Originally Posted by Chocomonsters
There were 3-4 cats roaming freely within restaurant. Cats running under your dining table and brushing up on your legs during dining is not what I would expect in any hotel restaurant.
In downtown NYC or Tokyo, I would agree. In the Carib, you see it at many outdoor eating establishments, even the "nicer" ones.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Along w/ iguanas, exotic birds, and various other island residents! It's part of the ambiance.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
If you haven't tried out the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

That would be the only place in the USVI that would be in that category, though.

Originally Posted by Deslok
If you want luxury with all the accoutrements, the Virgin Islands really isn't the spot for you, IMO. I've been going down to St. John for 30 years(helps that I have a free place to crash down there), and I go down there for the blissful calm of the beaches and some fun sailing and snorkling. But its not a place I'd expect really fine dining or spotless cleanliness(when a hurrican passes quite close by once a year, simply keeping everything intact can be a chore). Its stil very nice, but its not 5* accomadations. I'd personally recommend renting a villa(there are quite many on the island), renting a jeep, and enjoying the island that way. I'm sorry it sounds like even the service you had wasn't great, because one of the things I've always enjoyed in the islands is the very friendly atmosphere(doesn't hurt when you get free rum drinks on arrival).

But to each their own.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:48 pm

$35. resort charge on award stay

I am at the Westin St. John an an award stay. There is a daily $35. "resort charge" on my bill. Is this correct?

I was also charged $365. for the Westin ferry. Problem is, I rented a car on St. Thomas and took the car ferry here!

If you visit, be sure to eat at the Waterfront Bistro. Excellent in every way.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Schutzee
I am at the Westin St. John an an award stay. There is a daily $35. "resort charge" on my bill. Is this correct?

I was also charged $365. for the Westin ferry. Problem is, I rented a car on St. Thomas and took the car ferry here!

If you visit, be sure to eat at the Waterfront Bistro. Excellent in every way.

No that is not correct. The resort fee should be removed, but things may have changed since I last stayed there. Also, they will remove the ferry charge. Both things are computer related automated charges that they should be able to remove if you are very nice to them. I find gentleness goes a long way.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
As far as the comments about the cats that roam the resort and outdoor dining areas, this is normal for the islands. The cats are actually there for a job. They keep down the pest population at the hotels including slowing down the population growth of the small lizards. The cats are there at the blessing of the resorts. Sure, they come around the dining areas because kids tend to sneak food to them because the cats are cute. The hotel doesn't really like that, but what can they do. Guests are people and people like pets.

As far as the luxury aspect, the Westin has the best grounds of any resort on St. Thomas and St. John. I've been to both islands and stayed in different places and the Westin gardens are outstanding! If you're not into gardens and only into lush furniture in your room then head to the Ritz, although the guests at the Ritz always travel over to St. John because the beaches and island are incredibly beautiful and less crowded. Caneel Bay Resort is a more natural, rustic type of place with incredible northshore beaches. But the price is too high.

I'm also disappointed that Starwood has raised the Westin to 20,000 points per night. That is too high for this property. They also lost some very nice rooms when they remodeled them to make timeshares. Our favorite rooms were up on the hillside in the Flamboyant building. They had the best views over the property and bay. We prefered those much more than the pool side rooms. But, we don't have children and we like to walk. If you have kids, the poolside rooms are nice.

We stay at private villas now when we go to St. John. It's more cost effective, private and more spacious of course. But, I do like the Westin's pool which is the largest pool in all the Virgin Islands. It continually changes colors at night due to the fiber optic lighting. Very beautiful. Even if you don't stay at the Westin it can be nice to go there at night to stroll the grounds. They also have a nice fitness center.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 4:50 am

The front desk has refused to remove the resort charge after two requests. My reservation confirmation makes no mention of the fee. Any suggestions? I check out in a few hours to return to the frozen North.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:57 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Schutzee
The front desk has refused to remove the resort charge after two requests. My reservation confirmation makes no mention of the fee. Any suggestions? I check out in a few hours to return to the frozen North.
Contact Starwood Customer Service ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.