Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Just asking, because for 20 years we focused our hotel budget almost exclusively to SPG properties. Reason was, as Lifetime Platinum members, we received world-class service in terms of recognition and benefits. Upgrades, sometimes they were pre-allocated. If not pre-allocated, they were warmly offered at check-in. Now as Titanium for life, it's like, "where's the upgrade?" better rooms available for sale only. In terms of Breakfast, this was a most wonderful benefit at SPG's leading locations. Now, it's like "no breakfast for you, our lounge is closed and we don't offer breakfast when the lounge is closed", or if there is breakfast, the offering seems to be low quality. With SPG, there was a warm heart, and they cared, and they showed it. Now, with Marriott, there's a big fat finger telling us we just don't care about you. With SPG, you'd actually receive a nice and thoughtful local gift on arrival some times. With Marriott, that nicely wrapped red gift on the bed in the Bonvoy commercial seems to be your virtual welcome gift.

So Arne and friends, guess what, there are tons of options around the world nowadays that don't have the Marriott brand nameplates, that do have a heart and show they care, with warmth and world class hospitality. Bonvoyage.

Just my two cents.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:08 pm

Now I partially understand (although don’t fully agree) with Arne’s “noise around the edge” statement
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
2019, and I have personally experienced Marriott's "we just don't care about you"!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Remember with Bonvoy the guests are the product.
The actual customers are the hotel property owners
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
If you swap "SPG" for "Marriott" in the OP's post, I would agree. Marriott always treated me as a valued guest; SPG screwed me every time I made the mistake of staying at one of their properties.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I don't know about anti-guest, but dull, boring and far from great customer service is why back in the day, when given a choice: it was Starwood/SPG while I tried to generally stay away from Marriott's brands. It also baffled me how people put up with the lack of information on their website.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
If you swap "SPG" for "Marriott" in the OP's post, I would agree. Marriott always treated me as a valued guest; SPG screwed me every time I made the mistake of staying at one of their properties.
Were you SPG PLT?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Were you SPG PLT?
SPG treat Silver better than Marriott treat Titanium
cruisr and kodansha999 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:35 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Marriotts relationship with its membership has always been more transactional “you give us your biz stays, we give you points”. It mostly upgrades but rarely to Suites (I run about 10% suite upgrades) although that’s partly an outcome of Marriott building fewer suites into its hotels. Elite lounges and free breakfast used to be weekdays only but now free lounge/restaurant breakfast is 7 days a week but it remains, as it always has with Marriott, a rules based transactional program. It’s not as bare-bones as IHG but neither is it as fullsome as SPG was, and Hyatt is.
Anti guest? Not really, but if you come from the SPG side of the merger I imagine you’re finding the changes to Marriotts transactional arrangement pretty jarring.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Can't exactly say every hotel is anti-guest - have had good experience in some hotels. However Corporate is really anti-guest, no matter how human they sound they just follow the computer's decision.

It's like a Swedish bank declined Mr's credit card application (his income qualified), the CSR said to me that Mr. has to call and they will tell him why. So I got Mr. to call and the reason was "the computer said no" (Mr almost wanted to tell her to ask the computer why it said no). He moved on asking if there's any message or anything and she said once again "the computer said no". Marriott hasn't gotten this far yet but I think it's coming.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Nice "click-bait" thread title. It does set me off a bit when a poster makes an overly dramatic statement only to find that the "meat" of the argument are actually rather minor complaints (see airline threads titled "Is this the new norm?" when a single FA was rude). I'm not saying that Marriott is perfect (so no "Marriott defender" responses please) and certainly seem to be controlled/strongly influenced by the properties, but I would say that 90%+ of their guest interactions are warm and positive. So, to answer your question, no, I would not say that Marriott is "virulently anti-guest".
writerguyfl, ExArkie and JBord like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by bosman
So, to answer your question, no, I would not say that Marriott is "virulently anti-guest".
You're right, perhaps 'virulently anti-guest' is indeed a bit strong. What about...

Not exactly customer centric
Pathetically inept
Clueless
Confusing
Overly complex
Inconsistent
Incongruous with a positive experience
Lacking customer focus
Unable to fulfill basic expectations
Total shambles
IT disaster
Communications joke
Asleep at the proverbial switch

Feel free to add your own perspective on this, but Marriott has done little else but screw up. (And no, breakfast is not included).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
You're right, perhaps 'virulently anti-guest' is indeed a bit strong. What about...

Not exactly customer centric
Pathetically inept
Clueless
Confusing
Overly complex
Inconsistent
Incongruous with a positive experience
Lacking customer focus
Unable to fulfill basic expectations
Total shambles
IT disaster
Communications joke
Asleep at the proverbial switch

Feel free to add your own perspective on this, but Marriott has done little else but screw up. (And no, breakfast is not included).
I would accept those comments/descriptors with the possible exception of "Incongruous with a positive experience" and "Unable to fulfill basic expectations".

Last edited by bosman; Mar 14, 2019 at 6:36 am Reason: added context
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I'm a US-based legacy SPG Lifetime Plat, but MR was my backup program. My two cents:

There's a lot of selective memory in these threads. Marriott had lounges in just about all of their FS properties long before SPG properties started to offer them on a very inconsistent basis. Yes, MR lounges have typically been closed on weekends while SPG's have been open, but if lounge access was important you had to research SPG to determine if there would be any access at all. My experience was that lounge offerings were better at MR properties. As for upgrades, I agree that I got more suites in SPG properties, but most of my upgrades have been to "better rooms" and I can't say that I notice much difference. I've had more bad interactions with SPG staff than MR. One major difference that matters to me is that Marriotts have easily accessed electrical outlets while I've spent far too much time hunting for outlets in SPGs and playing contortionist or moving furniture just to plug in my laptop.

Most of the above is about US properties. My experience outside the US is that this is where SPG had a pretty big edge. I often found SPG hotels to be superior and less expensive. The Sheraton brand is no guarantee of anything in the US, but Sheratons outside the US tend to be very good.

My bottom line: it's different now. Get used to it or find something else that works better for you. I admit that I'm getting fed up with the IT issues, but I'm not going anywhere yet.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EricH
There's a lot of selective memory in these threads.
Absolutely. There are dozens of threads with hundreds of posts in the old SPG forum about how people had to beg and threaten for upgrades, yet the OP claims that upgrades were always cheerfully offered.

The bottom line is that people are blinded by nostalgia and fearful of change. And those people will forever be unhappy no matter what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.