Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:02 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Thanks for being here!

My suggestions:

1 - Know your stuff, including loyalty. Obviously as FT'ers we know a lot more than a typical guest, but it's insulting and sets a bad start when the FD person tells me things that are simply wrong. Even if said with good intent, don't give me false info on the program or elite benefits. An example: know what the breakfast benefit certificate you are handing me means; is it a buffet? credit towards an a la carte menu? is there an upcharge for hot items? Telling me you don't know leaves me walking away needing to find out and that you have not been helpful. Taking the time to find out will help you explain to hundreds of guests who follow me. And if your property's restaurant isn't telling the FD staff what the breakfast cert includes, there is a breakdown of communication.

2 - Give me some rationale for the room you assigned me. Examples: "The suite we have is on the 2nd floor with no view, so I assigned you a club room on a higher floor with an amazing view" or "we have Club level rooms available, but I want you to see one of our newly remodeled rooms on the floor just below". This tells me you know your rooms and either you or the rooms manager took some time to assign me a room with a little thought.

3 - Know what the Ambassador program is and make sure your computer systems shows you the guest profile and preferences - and act of them.

4 - If I've been 'approved' for a 4pm check-out, please make sure the key is coded to work until then. And if your crazy Marriott system is somehow unable to do that, please tell me that ahead of time so I know to allow time to return to the desk the next day to get the keys reprogrammed for 4pm.

In return, I promise to be polite, patient and appreciative of your efforts. I know the FD is not an easy job. Thanks for what you do!
Thank you! I will definitely be sharing these points with my coworkers!
rny321 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
Thank you! I agree that nothing will bring back the legacy programs, but I also want to remind my coworkers that it's the little things that count. Those special touches, per se.

And while the complaints may be directed at the program itself, the hotel staff should know that there are gripes about the program and be prepared for those who are not pleased with the changes.

Definitely, its the little things that count. I'm at a legacy Marriott property where I stay once a year or so. As an ambassador, they upgraded me to an excellent suite before I arrived. When I checked in, they told me welcome back and thanked me for being an ambassador. Later I received a note and a nice bottle of wine. The staff in the concierge lounge is friendly and engaged .... they don't sit at a desk but check on guests. I'm checking out today and last night they called, asked if I needed any assistance in making arrangements to the airport, etc. None of this is pretentious or obsequious ... just nice genuine friendly service.

What's the cost to the property in this ... a bottle of wine that they bought wholesale? Otherwise, its spending some time and attention to guests. The guests are obviously happy with the service and friendly people, and in return, it must make for a more fun place to work.

As for the program ...it's working here as intended. Late checkouts, lounge access, suite upgrades, understanding the differences between different levels in the program, etc.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't understand the problem with getting the folios emailed. Granted, I've only stayed in two Marriott hotels since the merger (SGS and Marriott LAX), but for all stays at both properties, I declined hard copies of the folio, and for all stays at both properties, the emailed folios hit my Inbox while I was still standing at the FD checking out. I gather that not everyone here has had the same experience; but I don't understand why. Since the system is obviously capable of doing it, and doing it quickly, both on the legacy SPG and legacy Marriott sides of the house, it would have to be the FDCs who aren't doing something right, yes?
I checked out of LM BKK today; and, as usual, asked for the folio to be emailed to me rather than printed. It hit my Inbox while I was still standing at the FD, then another arrived about 30 minutes later, while I was in the taxi on the way to the airport.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.