Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Millions of points, out of the blue.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Millions of points, out of the blue.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Don't fool yourself, Marriott will absolutely ignore that rule when THEY make a mistake! And given it's obviously a mistake trying to use them could be considered attempted fraud. We've all seen movies where an armoured car tosses a bag of money out the back and bills go flying. You don't get to keep them in the real world.
Actually, there are documented cases of people withdrawing/spending large sums of money from their bank accounts that had been deposited there in error. They were prosecuted for theft. No idea if the same would apply to points, but in the case of cash, if it ain't yours, don't touch it!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:29 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Call Marriott, do the right thing. Why is this even being discussed. I for one like to sleep at night.
FlyingNone, C17PSGR, b1513 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I wonder what would happen if the OP books something using points. How would they claw back? Would it be indiscriminate?
OP appears to be a repeat customer at Marriott, ...if he spends can't they take it off when he earns more ?

EDIT Ooops, just notice ,,,thought it was 70000 points. Better call Marriott, talk to a high honcho , maybe he will reward you.

Last edited by HMPS; Feb 18, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:54 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Actually, there are documented cases of people withdrawing/spending large sums of money from their bank accounts that had been deposited there in error. They were prosecuted for theft.
There is a federal law covering mistaken cash transfers
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
While it might be tempting to try and transfer the points out or otherwise spend them before Marriott notices I'd not suggest you do that. While doing so at any level is obviously dishonest, this isn't a few thousand points - the value of 70M points at what Marriott sells them would be about $875,000 (using 1,000 points for 12.50USD) and to state the obvious: Someone is going to notice that! Also given there are Marriott employees here I'm sure they are already looking for a large deposit of miles to identify you and I cannot imagine there's been >1 account that had 70M points deposited recently into it for a single transaction so it will not be hard to do so. IANAL but pretty sure since you know you didn't earn those and are not entitled to them you likely have some legal jeopardy (both criminally and civil) if you tried to use them. Best thing to do is call and let them know about the error, perhaps they will throw you a few points for being a good person.
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Between the 3 USD Times Square hotel and this, at what point will Marriott invest the tiny tiny bit that it costs to add front end data validation?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Just keep quiet and wait a few couple months. If not clawed back, it's fair game. Then you can send me 100K
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: AA Exp
Donate them all to a charity of your choosing.

That will put Bonvoy in a nice spot :-)
KRSW, CO-PLAT, svo242 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by gnargel
Donate them all to a charity of your choosing.
https://giving.marriott.com/
KRSW and narvik like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by armouredant
They mention it on their own website:

"Business plays a critical role in taking on our world's most pressing social, environmental and economic issues. With our size and scale, we have a global responsibility and a unique opportunity to be a force for good."

Go OP, go!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by FTA
There is a federal law covering mistaken cash transfers
Just out if interest, would "federal law" encompass a person, residing outside the USA, spending a MR points windfall credited by a hotel outside the USA ?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
bla bla

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
If OP doesn’t mind beeing prosecuted for wire fraud, I guess that’s what he sould do. We’re probably talking about at least $350,000 worth of points—Marriott would follow up on this and law enforcement would be involved.
wire fraud.. LOL , this is funny.
we are not talking about money but about some virtual points. I am not telling him to transfer millions to an airline. just a couple of transfers for a business or first ticket.

If I was the op I would immidiatelly start booking all ritz and st. regis hotel, buy a around the world ticket and start flying around the world with a TV crew following me .

this would give marriott good PR and the op would propably not get into any trouble with spending his points.

the otherr option is to just spend all points to marriotts charity. and make a big pr story out of it
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
nope

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just out if interest, would "federal law" encompass a person, residing outside the USA, spending a MR points windfall credited by a hotel outside the USA ?
I believe they cant do ...., its their fault and we are not talking about money here.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by derpelikan
I believe they cant do ...., its their fault and we are not talking about money here.
No, it's not cash, but it is a cash-equivalent and you are not entitled to benefit from someone else's mistake. Marriott has ways to get this back by either cancelling any transaction that took them out of the account or set the account balance negative to actually fire the customer and close out the account. It's not right and best to take the high road and let them know about the mistake.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, it's not cash, but it is a cash-equivalent and you are not entitled to benefit from someone else's mistake. ...
Sorry, but "cash equivalent" has a certain definition that is not anywhere close to Bonvoy Points!
KRSW and acrophobia like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.