Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proof of failed upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A common misconception. Anyone, even a guest with no status at all, is eligible for a suite upgrade if it makes sense for the hotel to do so. It's just like an operational upgrade on an airline.

However, if there are sufficient guests with higher status, they should definitely be upgraded before any "operational upgrades".
Hotels can indeed upgrade anyone especially above the standard suites which is not part of the Bonvoy program. So a person with no status can be upgraded to the higher level suite for a range of reasons from being relatives of the hotel owner, or government officials /elected officals that hotel need to keep good relationship with or maybe celebrities. There is no case if the suite upgraded to the no-status, or gold or silver member is not those standard suites but a higher level fancy suite.

I recall talking to a manager here in North America when this new system rolled out back in August. A platinum returning guest (ie the regulars) seem to rank at the top and totally make sense.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Inshallah! I am curious to see what upgrades the Westin Tucson offers us for next weekend since that's during an off-peak leisure period for our weekend getaway.
Well ..,. it's been a year, but I wouldn't get too excited.

When I stayed at this property, they were very low occupancy with only a few cars in the parking lot, only myself in the lobby at check-in, and only a handful of tables busy at breakfast. But ... I was told they didn't have any upgrades available even though they have numerous suites.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by JoeTPA
OK. Clarifying a little:

I checked in online 24h before arrival and was definitely assigned a room - there was a card from the staff addressed to me by name welcoming me. I don't know if my colleague checked in online.

Talked to the FD during check-out. The reason I was given is that I reserved a double queen room and they didn't want to upgrade me to a single bed suite since I might have needed the two beds. OK, I guess that's legitimate, but they could have asked me. <shrug>

Just checked in to another CY for a one-night stay - no upgrade. They show a suite is available when I go to reserve a room for tonight at the same property.
I've been Platinum for 10 years (Titanium Ambassador this year) and have never received an upgrade at a CY. As a matter of fact, I have almost never had an upgrade at a US domestic Marriott branded property except for a certain SPG property I have frequented in recent years.

I should add that when in Europe and the Middle East, I usually get an upgrade.

Last edited by SpartyAir; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:47 pm Reason: Add related information
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SpartyAir
I've been Platinum for 10 years (Titanium Ambassador this year) and have never received an upgrade at a CY. As a matter of fact, I have almost never had an upgrade at a US domestic Marriott branded property except for a certain SPG property I have frequented in recent years.

I should add that when in Europe and the Middle East, I usually get an upgrade.
I have been legacy MR platinum for 10 years and I also don’t recall getting upgraded at MR properties in mainland US other than Marriott Fremont when it first opened. I also never had much luck in EU, either. But I have been mostly upgraded in Asia with the exception of JW Seoul which never upgraded me.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:20 pm

Gold status for me. Been upgraded twice since the trainwreckmerger. First was a Springhill, got a larger room w/balcony, whereas most of the rooms at the property were smaller with small windows. Second was at a Sheraton Vistana. Booked the absolute cheapest, nastiest rate I could dig up ($124/nt) via Marriott.com. Got upgraded to a ~1200sq ft 2 bed, 2 bath, full condo w/washer/dryer and full kitchen, first floor, and they included breakfast.

Elsewhere, I've learned it pays to be nice to the FDAs and other staff. After awhile they'll remember you and take very good care of you, even squeaking out a last-minute room when every hotel in town and even that hotel is 100% booked and you don't even have status.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Also, you are correct loyalty to the property itself is more valuable than loyalty to the overall brand.
Can't agree with this more. I put thorugh between 50-80 nights a year at one hotel, and my suite upgrades are virtually guaranteed, despite me staying for a whole week and the anecdotally very large number of Plats who stay at this hotel. My upgrade strike rate at other Marriott / Starwood hotels, on the other hand, is very average.
Lizie likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I had a chance to experience this a few weeks ago as a Hilton "Gold in Status Only" (via my AmEx card, I've stayed 3 nights over the course of two years). Not only could I select the room I'd wanted on their app, but the digital key worked every time.

... that being said, I'm not sure if the "Pay now to upgrade your room" means they don't willingly hand out upgrades to elites, though.
Yeah, the digital key works really well in my experience. And, when it comes to selecting your room, the best thing is they have a real map - not just the hotel floor plan but its relation to the surroundings. Great for identifying placement of roads, etc. for those of us who are light sleepers.

Re: paid upgrades, Hilton has always offered them through NOR1. Whether there is a correlation between hotels that push those and hotels who don't upgrade elites, not really sure. I feel like I've gotten ever so slightly more upgrades from MR/SPG than from Hilton, but in absolute terms Hilton has treated me very well with upgrades over the year, especially internationally.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Talked to the FD during check-out. The reason I was given is that I reserved a double queen room and they didn't want to upgrade me to a single bed suite since I might have needed the two beds. OK, I guess that's legitimate, but they could have asked me. <shrug>

Just checked in to another CY for a one-night stay - no upgrade. They show a suite is available when I go to reserve a room for tonight at the same property.
Yes, it does feel much more rewarding when a suite/upgrade just happens, but I never have any qualms asking. Many times a friendly question is met with a nice room. What gets me when I'm assured I am already assigned to an upgraded room and the hell if I can tell any difference from a standard room.

Also, just because a suite/upgraded room is showing online does not mean it's part of the upgrade inventory or even actually available. Many properties post more inventory than they have betting on a proven track record of no-show and/or cancellations. Typically last-minute bookings cost a lot more and the property is happy to walk someone if they need too. Local agreements can make rooms elsewhere available for much cheaper than you will find on your own so they still make money off those walks.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:36 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I'm a lifetime Titanium (and that's going to take some getting used to!). Just checked into a CY along with two co-workers. We are all staying one night. One co-worker, who is Gold, got upgraded to a suite.

Now, not only should they be upgrading higher-tiered members first, but Gold members aren't even eligible for suite upgrades.

I really hate to be mad about this, but I have to admit, it's pretty frustrating.

On the phone with the Marriott Rew....errrr... BonVoy folks to inquire if there's some caveat I missed, and they put me on hold to call the property to try to ascertain what happened.
What is "Lifetime Titanium" ? How does one earn that status? Thx
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RZR
What is "Lifetime Titanium" ? How does one earn that status? Thx
The new name for LTPP which is no longer available. You had to have earned LTPP by the end of 2018 and they say will not be available after, again so they say right now.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I know some FTer's have mentioned this SPG priority list but I have asked at several different legacy SPG properties. None were familiar with such a list so I'm skeptical it has been in use for quite a while. With the exception of a recent stay (W Union Square) where I have stayed three times in 2019, I have never been pre-upgraded to a suite at a legacy SPG property and it has always been a search on what's available at check-in and, in many cases a refusal to upgrade to vacant suites (most recently at the SLS BH where they wanted a $200 upcharge to a one bedroom suite).

Agreed and I think this is fair. For example, I know a couple of Marriott's that upgrade "regulars" to suites even though they aren't platinum or above. I don't have any issue of that ... my concern is properties that want upcharges or prefer to leave the suite vacant rather than give it to their best customers under the T&C of the program.
Over the last decade or so, I've been preupraded to suites at Starwood hotels (mostly as a Plat50) many times. I can only recall one time that the preupgraded suite was withdrawn and I was given only some sort of deluxe room (IIRC one category above the standard room I booked) at check in. (It was the Scottsdale W for one night.)
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I couldn't even begin to count all the pre-blocked suites I had at Starwood properties over the years...was SOP for me
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ..,. it's been a year, but I wouldn't get too excited.

When I stayed at this property, they were very low occupancy with only a few cars in the parking lot, only myself in the lobby at check-in, and only a handful of tables busy at breakfast. But ... I was told they didn't have any upgrades available even though they have numerous suites.
I will be more than happy to follow up on here with my experience next week at this property to see if they offer us a suite upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by HollyGlen
Can't agree with this more. I put thorugh between 50-80 nights a year at one hotel, and my suite upgrades are virtually guaranteed, despite me staying for a whole week and the anecdotally very large number of Plats who stay at this hotel. My upgrade strike rate at other Marriott / Starwood hotels, on the other hand, is very average.
Exactly our experience to. At our regular hotels (140+ nights) if they can't upgrade us they're so apologetic they throw in everything except the kitchen sink to keep us happy i.e. free set dinner, drinks vouchers, free bottle of wine, free parking etc until a suite becomes available. No way is a Plat elite going to get offered a suite before we've had first refusal.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:20 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The new name for LTPP which is no longer available. You had to have earned LTPP by the end of 2018 and they say will not be available after, again so they say right now.
I've been SPG Lifetime plat since 2015. Waht status should I have with Bonvoy. Thx for your assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.