Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC

Now that they have created additional tiers like Titanium and Ambassador, what do you think the likelihood is that Marriott will take away lounge access from Platinum members during the next downgrade of the Bonvoy program (say in a year or two)? SPG used to give lounge access to their gold members but removed that benefit a few years ago. Hyatt, on the other hand, gives 4 lounge access to their Explorist tier. In addition, the current PP members are complaining that there is little differentiation for their more advanced status. Would the same happen to Platinum members down the road?

Update: Added my reasoning from Post #10 .

I think removing lounge access for Plat is a real possibility for several reasons:
  1. At the mid status level at other major hotel chains, there is no unlimited lounge access. (Plat level is now the mid-level status of the new Bonvoy program. Ambassador requires 100 nights, and Plat requires 50 nights.)
    • IHG Plat (40 nights): Gets a "raid the bar" card. ($10 food credit?)
    • Hilton Gold (40 nights): Free breakfast. No lounge access.
    • Hyatt Exploriat (30 nights): 4 lounge passes per year.
    • Club Carlson Gold (30 nights): No breakfast or lounge access.
  2. New Titanium doesn't currently offer differentiated benefits over Platinum, and many members are asking for more to justify the additional 25 nights.
  3. It looks that the merge of SPG and Marriott accounts has created a lot of LTP and LTPP members who would not have otherwise achieved the LT status in either program alone. For example, I had close to 750 LT nights before the merge, but I was nowhere close to 1.6m points. Now I'm LTP. I know a friend who was mostly MR Gold over the past 10 years, but now he is LTPP because of the nights from SPG.
I think it's very likely for Marriott to reduce Platinum's benefits down the road since I can't think of any more perks they can add to the Titanium level.

One possible solution is to remove unlimited lounge access at the Platinum level. Possibly they can take the approach of Hilton and Hyatt combined. Platinum will still have free breakfast (for whatever it is worth) and 4 lounge passes annually.

I don't like the possibility but please tell me it's not a legitimate concern.

Last edited by naumank; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I think Marriott is pretty tone deaf and short sighted. But they aren’t that stupid.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not sure why this has been suggested. Plat is now equivalent to old Marriott Gold and old Gold got lounge access.

The word is that part of the reasoning behind the change to new names is to ensure Titanium get priority over Platinum for upgrades. Although honestly under the old Marriott system upgrades seemed pretty random for Golds vs. Plats.
happygolucky_nomad and JBord like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by naumank
Now that they have created additional tiers like Titanium and Ambassador, what do you think the likelihood is that Marriott will take away lounge access from Platinum members during the next downgrade of the Bonvoy program (say in a year or two)? SPG used to give lounge access to their gold members but removed that benefit a few years ago. Hyatt, on the other hand, gives 4 lounge access to their Explorist tier. In addition, the current PP members are complaining that there is little differentiation for their more advanced status. Would the same happen to Platinum members down the road?
SPG Gold never got lounge access, at least dating back the last 15 years.

Marriott Platinum is really the old Gold. And Gold had lounge access so I’m not sure why you would be concerned
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I can't imagine Marriott dropping lounge access for Platinum Elite (50-night tier) and above.

It's a terrific incentive for guests to achieve at least 50 nights per year — even if those guests could have saved money by staying at hotels not affiliated with Marriott Bonvoy.

On top of that, it's a relatively inexpensive way of providing a breakfast benefit to frequent guests. Platinum Elite (and higher) guests can pop into the lounge, grab a few hot and cold items, and serve themselves a cup or two of coffee. It undoubtedly cost less to provide than the real restaurant breakfast.

In other words, lounge access is a cost-effective part of frequent guest marketing program. It's a great way sell more rooms at higher rates.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Although I’d say it would be pretty dumb of Marriott to remove this benefit for platinum I would actually be in favor of such a change

im looking for Marriott to distinguish titanium over lower tiers and right now there isn’t enough “do you know who I am” with titanium

if a plat shows up to the same hotel before me, they get my upgrade and they get into the lounge. Why did I spend more money at Marriott to get the same treatment as a plat

unless Marriott is willing to give a titanium more I’m in favor of taking away from others to make top status more valuable

i think how airlines do status makes sense. My upgrade for a plane seat is based on status tier and then dollar spend in that tier. If two platinums show up for a room the person who gets it should be the one who spends the most money not the first to check in. Similarily a titanium should always get the upgrade over a platinum, no questions asked

until marriott gets this right, take away platinum benefits please

for what it’s worth, I know my opinion won’t be popular

Last edited by Nuhusky; Feb 2, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Why would you even speculate about this? No one here can answer that question anyhow. Would you make booking decisions based on someone's guess?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As long as Hilton and Hyatt still offer lounge access at a similar tier, then I don't think Marriott would just drop it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Horace
...It's a terrific incentive for guests to achieve at least 50 nights per year...On top of that, it's a relatively inexpensive way of providing a breakfast benefit to frequent guests...
This makes sense. I don’t know how many elites there are in the new MR, but dropping Plats from lounge access seems likely to be a large enough reduction in lounge-users to make them cost-inefficient with respect to breakfast and appetizers (i.e., would there be enough PP/Ti or higher guests staying at any property on an average night to justify the space, staff, and consumables required to operate a lounge?).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SP03

SPG Gold never got lounge access, at least dating back the last 15 years.

Marriott Platinum is really the old Gold. And Gold had lounge access so I’m not sure why you would be concerned
I recall a colleague was telling me around the Year 2010 that SPG had removed lounge access at his tier (I believe it was gold). I could be wrong on this.

Originally Posted by yvr76
As long as Hilton and Hyatt still offer lounge access at a similar tier, then I don't think Marriott would just drop it.
I think removing lounge access for Plat is a real possibility for several reasons:
  1. At the mid status level at other major hotel chains, there is no unlimited lounge access. (Plat level is now the mid-level status of the new Bonvoy program. Ambassador requires 100 nights, and Plat requires 50 nights.)
  2. New Titanium doesn't currently offer differentiated benefits over Platinum, and many members are asking for more to justify the additional 25 nights.
  3. It looks that the merge of SPG and Marriott accounts has created a lot of LTP and LTPP members who would not have otherwise achieved the LT status in either program alone. For example, I had close to 750 LT nights before the merge, but I was nowhere close to 1.6m points. Now I'm LTP. I know a friend who was mostly MR Gold over the past 10 years, but now he is LTPP because of the nights from SPG.
I think it's very likely for Marriott to reduce Platinum's benefits down the road since I can't think of any more perks they can add to the Titanium level.

One possible solution is to remove unlimited lounge access at the Platinum level. Possibly they can take the approach of Hilton and Hyatt combined. Platinum will still have free breakfast (for whatever it is worth) and 4 lounge passes annually.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
... I don't like the possibility but please tell me it's not a legitimate concern.
It's not a legitimate concern.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:19 pm
alc

No Lounge Access for Platinum status will only work if they first let you get LTPP (or I should say LTT) again . Otherwise anyone who starting staying Marriott now will not get lounge access from the highest LTP status, which the question - why bother give Marriott the loyalty then.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I recall a colleague was telling me around the Year 2010 that SPG had removed lounge access at his tier (I believe it was gold). I could be wrong on this.

I can’t tell you it’s not a legitimate concern. I also can’t quantify just how many LTPP/Ti elites were minted in the merged MBv program. Marriott knows. And clearly that number wasn’t large enough to dissuade them from constructing the program and tiers the way they did.

I wonder if there’s a skewed view of just how many elites there are based on the relatively small sample represented here (?). I did not expect to be LTPP/Ti, but that’s not going to make me stay at Marriotts more. If anything, it makes me a free-agent, less-incentivized to always choose Marriott because I don’t have to chase the status anymore.

Maybe MBv’s plan is to “devalue PLT” in a year or two; or maybe it isn’t. But the program will change...that’s certain and always is. We’ll have to wait and see.

What else do you suppose you could do about it?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

A bigger and more realistic concern is that we are going to see more benefits to be tied to yearly qualifications. We have seen the Hyatt moving in this direction with certain benefits given after a specific threshold. Marriott is doing this with suite night awards. Hilton is piloting confirmed suite nights.

The biggest risk to those with lifetime elite status and status that comes with spending on credit cards without qualification by nights.
dw likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
think it's very likely for Marriott to reduce Platinum's benefits down the road since I can't think of any more perks they can add to the Titanium level..
I think one thing they could do for Lifetime Tits would be to give SNA awards (or whatever benefit you choose each year) so you don't have to earn 50. That would be nice. And CONFIRMED SNA at the time of booking would be even better.

I would also like to see the SNA's stretch into stays rather than nights... so you could have 5 stays of however long your stay is, say up to 7 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.