FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:02 pm
naumank

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SP03

SPG Gold never got lounge access, at least dating back the last 15 years.

Marriott Platinum is really the old Gold. And Gold had lounge access so I’m not sure why you would be concerned
I recall a colleague was telling me around the Year 2010 that SPG had removed lounge access at his tier (I believe it was gold). I could be wrong on this.

Originally Posted by yvr76
As long as Hilton and Hyatt still offer lounge access at a similar tier, then I don't think Marriott would just drop it.
I think removing lounge access for Plat is a real possibility for several reasons:
  1. At the mid status level at other major hotel chains, there is no unlimited lounge access. (Plat level is now the mid-level status of the new Bonvoy program. Ambassador requires 100 nights, and Plat requires 50 nights.)
    • IHG Plat (40 nights): Gets a "raid the bar" card. ($10 food credit?)
    • Hilton Gold (40 nights): Free breakfast. No lounge access.
    • Hyatt Exploriat (30 nights): 4 lounge passes per year.
    • Club Carlson Gold (30 nights): No breakfast or lounge access.
  2. New Titanium doesn't currently offer differentiated benefits over Platinum, and many members are asking for more to justify the additional 25 nights.
  3. It looks that the merge of SPG and Marriott accounts has created a lot of LTP and LTPP members who would not have otherwise achieved the LT status in either program alone. For example, I had close to 750 LT nights before the merge, but I was nowhere close to 1.6m points. Now I'm LTP. I know a friend who was mostly MR Gold over the past 10 years, but now he is LTPP because of the nights from SPG.
I think it's very likely for Marriott to reduce Platinum's benefits down the road since I can't think of any more perks they can add to the Titanium level.

One possible solution is to remove unlimited lounge access at the Platinum level. Possibly they can take the approach of Hilton and Hyatt combined. Platinum will still have free breakfast (for whatever it is worth) and 4 lounge passes annually.

I don't like the possibility but please tell me it's not a legitimate concern.