Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
While it was technically an acquisition by UA based on the relative stock valuations, in truth it was a CO takeover. That's why Jeff Smisek became CEO of the new entity (and quickly replaced virtually all former UA senior management with CO cronies). And CO's management kept the far inferior CO reservation system (SHARES) over UA's (Apollo) purely to save money. We're still paying the price for that decision.

So I think the analogy to what Marriott has done to SPG does have some relevance.
"Technically" matters a lot with acquisitions though. I still think it would be a more apt analogy had SPG bought Marriott and then put all the Marriott programs in place, to the detriment of their SPG customers.

I understand your point however. On the surface, you can compare a lot of large acquisitions like this. UA-CO was a total and complete disaster that impacted even daily operations and, as you noted, still impacts customers today. For the most part, the Marriott-SPG acquisition has impacted higher level SPG customers who are grumbling about the new loyalty program. Sure, there are some IT issues that affect a few people, and they haven't handled transition customer service well, but those things are temporary. As you know, with UA, the problems were never intended to be temporary, they were "features" and policies of either CO operations or intentional service cuts by the newly combined company.

I'm not a Marriott cheerleader. You can go back and read my posts during the UA-CO merger. If I saw the same thing happening here, I'd post about it...but I don't. My opinion I guess.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBord
"Technically" matters a lot with acquisitions though. I still think it would be a more apt analogy had SPG bought Marriott and then put all the Marriott programs in place, to the detriment of their SPG customers.
But in this case it truly is just "technically" based on how Wall Street defines the acquiring party. CO was in a much stronger financial position and dictated the merger terms, including takeover by its management. Recall that UA had tried to merge with US, but that was rejected by DOJ. UA was pretty desperate for a merger partner.

For the most part, the Marriott-SPG acquisition has impacted higher level SPG customers who are grumbling about the new loyalty program. Sure, there are some IT issues that affect a few people, and they haven't handled transition customer service well, but those things are temporary.
I appreciate your point of view, but don't share it. This new behemoth is customer unfriendly in a way the old Marriott was not. It's like dealing with Verizon or Comcast (both of which I'll no longer do business with).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Can anyone point me towards the ' marriot challenges' ? I swear I read somewhere about it but cant find it now. I just started to book all through marriot instead of hotels and expect about 70-99 stays this year through the site. If I was right I read that you can request a challenge to get quicker to a certain point. Anyone with good info very welcome!!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to say hello to Bon-voy, but the website linked to the email they sent me wouldn't let me. Wouldn't recognize my member number or my password, even after I reset it following their own links.
So I said hello to IHG instead.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itisme
Can anyone point me towards the ' marriot challenges' ?
Where do we start? This new program is nothing but challenges . . . from stays not posting to incorrect account info to properties denying published benefits. Oh, wait, are you asking about a status challenge? That would be here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...thread-11.html
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
But in this case it truly is just "technically" based on how Wall Street defines the acquiring party. CO was in a much stronger financial position and dictated the merger terms, including takeover by its management. Recall that UA had tried to merge with US, but that was rejected by DOJ. UA was pretty desperate for a merger partner.

I appreciate your point of view, but don't share it. This new behemoth is customer unfriendly in a way the old Marriott was not. It's like dealing with Verizon or Comcast (both of which I'll no longer do business with).
Your points are correct, but I still think people here are comparing apples and oranges, anyway. CO made decisions that negatively impacted operations (SHARES, for one). They had loads of mechanical issues right after the merger. There was at least a 12 month period where about 50% of the time, something was wrong with my flight. Anything from my seat being randomly moved to losing a reservation -- and that was the experience of most frequent customers. They made changes to the loyalty program, but in fairness, those mostly came later, and reflected the new reality in a condensed industry rather than the merging of two programs.

With Marriott, most of the changes people are griping about are with the loyalty program (or the name of that program, or the names of the metal elite levels). I can still book hotel rooms and know they will be there when I arrive. There's been no change in operations for most people. To me, that's a totally different comparison, but probably taking us way off topic anyway, so I'll stop.

As for customer service, I've had no problems at all. But I can appreciate that others have. The question remains whether it's the new normal or something they'll fix. UA had terrible customer service after the merger, and after a couple years it was almost back to pre-merger levels. Marriott is only 5 months in, so let's see what they do.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Where do we start? This new program is nothing but challenges . . . from stays not posting to incorrect account info to properties denying published benefits. Oh, wait, are you asking about a status challenge? That would be here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...thread-11.html
Thanks.. That doesn't sound very promising. I was finally convinced to start booking direct with marriots after years and hundreds of bookings through 3rd party sites. So I got excited thinking I could finally profit from booking direct... Guess i'll be keeping every single receipt.. :/
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

I understand your point however. On the surface, you can compare a lot of large acquisitions like this. UA-CO was a total and complete disaster that impacted even daily operations and, as you noted, still impacts customers today. For the most part, the Marriott-SPG acquisition has impacted higher level SPG customers who are grumbling about the new loyalty program. Sure, there are some IT issues that affect a few people, and they haven't handled transition customer service well, but those things are temporary. As you know, with UA, the problems were never intended to be temporary, they were "features" and policies of either CO operations or intentional service cuts by the newly combined company.

I'm not a Marriott cheerleader. You can go back and read my posts during the UA-CO merger. If I saw the same thing happening here, I'd post about it...but I don't. My opinion I guess.
Does anyone think it would be fair to compare the Marriott/SPG merger to the American/US merger?

American mostly absorbed US and kept AA mostly the same, but IIRC they did make a couple changes likely influenced by US, such as adding the 4th status tier. Although US did lose some benefits (the one I miss the most is MoveUp which was available to lower statuses), and with the larger program upgrades became harder to come by.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Your points are correct, but I still think people here are comparing apples and oranges, anyway. CO made decisions that negatively impacted operations (SHARES, for one). They had loads of mechanical issues right after the merger. There was at least a 12 month period where about 50% of the time, something was wrong with my flight. Anything from my seat being randomly moved to losing a reservation -- and that was the experience of most frequent customers. They made changes to the loyalty program, but in fairness, those mostly came later, and reflected the new reality in a condensed industry rather than the merging of two programs.

With Marriott, most of the changes people are griping about are with the loyalty program (or the name of that program, or the names of the metal elite levels). I can still book hotel rooms and know they will be there when I arrive. There's been no change in operations for most people. To me, that's a totally different comparison, but probably taking us way off topic anyway, so I'll stop.

As for customer service, I've had no problems at all. But I can appreciate that others have. The question remains whether it's the new normal or something they'll fix. UA had terrible customer service after the merger, and after a couple years it was almost back to pre-merger levels. Marriott is only 5 months in, so let's see what they do.
I would disagree. My status showing incorrectly and seemingly randomly on my SPG account, cancelling my SNA request, losing functionality that we had on the SPG website, the mess with elite phone lines and impossibly long holds, etc. are not matters of complaints about the loyalty program changes.
uxb, EuropeanPete and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
While it was technically an acquisition by UA based on the relative stock valuations, in truth it was a CO takeover. That's why Jeff Smisek became CEO of the new entity (and quickly replaced virtually all former UA senior management with CO cronies). And CO's management kept the far inferior CO reservation system (SHARES) over UA's (Apollo) purely to save money. We're still paying the price for that decision.

So I think the analogy to what Marriott has done to SPG does have some relevance.
Yep, I had a couple of friends that worked through the UA/CO merger and they said from the start, CO management pretty much made all the decisions and dumped the UA management....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I really could care less about what they call the program. I do wish they'd spend as much time/effort in fixing their IT issues (hotels still disappearing/reappearing during searches, no ability to search by price, no ability to search multiple rates at once, often giving the message "that information is unavailable at this time" when looking at future reservations/account activity, etc...) as they are in rolling out the new program.
Agree that the IT issues have been a problem - as someone who works in IT I certainly have my perspective on it.

As to some other issues I have brought up to the agents on the phone:

1. SPG used to post stays almost without fail the day after checkout. Marriott takes between 2-7 days and I have had a few not post without calling an agent to intervene. There is no reason why a stay should require days to post in 2019.

2. The SPG Platinum line is gone - it was nice to call a number and get a human being without trying to navigate through the voice activated system. Aside from elite members loyalty making them deserving of such treatment, it is only common sense ... if someone has 50, 75 nights or more, it is quite likely they know how to go to the website to get easy answers. Elite members calling in probably have an issue that requires CSR attention.

Last edited by quinella66; Jan 21, 2019 at 1:35 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:58 pm

I disagree also. Were you ever a top tier customer with Starwood? If so, you would have immediately seen the difference in customer service between Marriott and Starwood. I've had Starwood hotel management go out of their way so many times to accommodate me for upgrades, early check in, free happy hours or come out and greet me, leave a welcome gift in the room, invite me to property events, etc. That never happens at Marriott properties, especially in the US where they barely acknowledge your status and seems like you have to pry everthing out of them. Starwood just seemed much more generous with their customers vs Marriott.

And the Marriott website, looks really pretty with a lot of empty space but the functionality is not so good compared to SPG. SPG was so much more functional. It was very quick and easy to look up multiple properties in a city and compare up to four rates at once across all of them including points and cash/points. And that Marriott member rate where you save like $3 over regular rate, what's the point of that?

Fortunately for me, I'll be grandfathered into a the Titanium lifer tier so I no longer have to chase nights every year for status and can give other hotel chains a go..
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by quinella66

2. The SPG Platinum line is gone - it was nice to call a number and get a human being without trying to navigate through the voice activated system. Aside from elite members loyalty making them deserving of such treatment, it is only common sense ... if someone has 50, 75 nights or more, it is quite likely they know how to go to the website to get easy answers. Elite members calling in probably have an issue that requires CSR attention.
Yes. I had no idea this was even an issue until I had to call recently, probably my first call in well over a year. I did not know I'd be greeted with touch tone hell, my reason for calling not exactly fitting in with the "press this for that" and after a couple of minutes of bovine poopoodoodookaka , I finally reached an agent, who took down the information, and it took quite some time.

(And after a couple of days, I received an unsatisfactory response, requiring divine intervention from a company representative on this board.)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66

I haven't need to chat with a CSR in a while but just another Starwood amenity ditched so Marriott can save a few $. I've also noticed that rooms in the new or renovated Marriott branded properties had fairly spartan interiors akin to a Courtyard. Some of my colleagues rooms at a recent Marriott Marquis didn't even have phones. And of course the platinum lounge beers were $10. Marriott seems to be cutting corners wherever they can to pay for the Starwood takeover....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by magendim
Some of my colleagues rooms at a recent Marriott Marquis didn't even have phones.
They could have had mine. For nearly a decade among the first things I do is stick the bedside room phone under the bed so I don't accidentally bump it; it has nearly zero purpose nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.