Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:36 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Just to comment on your 2nd point manneca, the Marriott 50-night level previously called Gold is now called Platinum and includes all the benefits of old Marriott Gold. The new Bonvoy Gold level fills the previous void between the 10-night and 50-night level. So Marriott Golds haven’t lost anything, they’ve simply become Bonvoy Plats. Indeed they’re probably the biggest winners of the change to Bonvoy with the enhanced earnings and addition of welcome amenity.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:33 am

Was resisting the urge to post to this thread since this topic comes up nearly daily, but all I'm gonna say is this...

Hilton and Marriott IT are definitely headed in opposite directions. I'm 8 days out from a Marriott stay (at a $500/night property, so not some dump either) and no sign of stay or point credit. And they can't even be bothered to let me fill out an online form for another two days.

Meanwhile, over in Hilton land - just finished up this week's stay at a Conrad, where Digital Key and in-app room service ordering worked seamlessly - and I have points posted as of 18 hours after check-out. A new record.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Just to comment on your 2nd point manneca, the Marriott 50-night level previously called Gold is now called Platinum and includes all the benefits of old Marriott Gold. The new Bonvoy Gold level fills the previous void between the 10-night and 50-night level. So Marriott Golds haven’t lost anything, they’ve simply become Bonvoy Plats. Indeed they’re probably the biggest winners of the change to Bonvoy with the enhanced earnings and addition of welcome amenity.
If he got the Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold from credit cards, (Amex Plat-both, Hilton Ascend, or Marriott Visa) those have not been updated to Platinum as of now...
So technically he has been downgraded....Personally, I think Hilton really sold the Diamond and Gold statuses so cheaply via credit card offerings that makes it not worth being loyal to them.
BrightlyBob and ExArkie like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by yjc281
If he got the Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold from credit cards, (Amex Plat-both, Hilton Ascend, or Marriott Visa) those have not been updated to Platinum as of now...
So technically he has been downgraded....Personally, I think Hilton really sold the Diamond and Gold statuses so cheaply via credit card offerings that makes it not worth being loyal to them.
Fair point, I forget about the USA credit cards that provide both status and points...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't understand why anyone doing some degree of Hilton stays doesn't just get the Aspire and top tier status (competitively weak, but still) for basically free net-net.
Do you understand that there are people on this planet that don't live in the USA?
EuropeanPete, RafKa and ftrichard like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DELee
Probably a few reasons: some aren't at a point they can effectively justify the annual fee, others are just cheap, and still others don't know about the card even with all the advertising.

David
OP lives in London - no Aspire card available there.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by yurtripper
OP lives in London - no Aspire card available there.
Understood - was responding to UA-NYC's comment in general:

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't understand why anyone doing some degree of Hilton stays doesn't just get the Aspire and top tier status (competitively weak, but still) for basically free net-net.
​​​​​​​David
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input
currently trying to redeem a free night certificate on marriott for upto 25k that I got in a promotion
I'm not exactly sure how it works
if I book a night using my voucher let's say for 17.5k points would I still be paying those points or not?
because on their website it's very confusing
can someone please enlighten me on how exactly
a free night redemption voucher works?
TIA
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Palty
Thanks everyone for the input
currently trying to redeem a free night certificate on marriott for upto 25k that I got in a promotion
I'm not exactly sure how it works
if I book a night using my voucher let's say for 17.5k points would I still be paying those points or not?
because on their website it's very confusing
can someone please enlighten me on how exactly
a free night redemption voucher works?
TIA
I'm a little confused with the highlighted question.

When booking a voucher stay, you simple utilize the book with points method. If you have a voucher in your account that covers the points, an option will appear that will let you select using your voucher instead of deducting the points.

Edit: I think I understand the question. In the above example, your voucher would be used to cover 17.5 (if you select that option), and the points would not be deducted from your account.

Last edited by txpenny; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:39 am Reason: Adding
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

So I was in Cape town booked a hotel for 1 night (marriott) then had to add another night so I did that after checking out (like a brand new reservation)
however the second night didn't add on to my Marriott account and didn't get the points...
so i sent them an email
They came back to me asking me for the itemized bill from Marriott (hotel name is Westin Cape Town)
so here's my question
What the hell is an itemized bill and how do I get hold of it?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Itemized bill would be a checkout folio.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
so Marriott just sent me another email saying that since my reservation was "cancelled" they can credit it to my account
I never cancelled it
Amd I got charged the full amount
There was no refund or anything
not really sure what is happening here
But I'll keep trying I guess to get to the bottom of this
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:05 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
And this is a reason why EVERYONE should ALWAYS ask for a hard-copy of the bill when checking out. Do NOT rely on them to email it to you.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Frequent flyer and very frequent hotel stay

So my first thread. and without much here's the fine details:

A little back ground:

- I travel for work.
- Most expenses (reasonable) covered by work.
- 22-25 nights / month in hotels.
- 7-8 flights a month
- Rental car - 8-10 days a months (Top tier with National)
- Have AMEX Platinum, besides other top tier cards from Citi and Chase so automatically gold or higher status with a lot of programs
- Marriott Titanium Elite - Could be Ambassador soon.
- Hilton Diamond

Question
Q1) Hotel Loyalty: Marriott (titanium elite) or Hilton (Diamond)
- Never cared for breakfast. I am out of the hotel before 6 AM. Points work well for me. I end up using most of my points for family vacations.

Q2) Car: National (executive elite, Working fine) vs Hertz (Gold five star, wondering if any better)
- I like driving better cars. And sometimes National (at Elite level) does provide better cars. I feel the redeem rate is not fast enough.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by uscgto
So my first thread. and without much here's the fine details:

A little back ground:

- I travel for work.
- Most expenses (reasonable) covered by work.
- 22-25 nights / month in hotels.
- 7-8 flights a month
- Rental car - 8-10 days a months (Top tier with National)
- Have AMEX Platinum, besides other top tier cards from Citi and Chase so automatically gold or higher status with a lot of programs
- Marriott Titanium Elite - Could be Ambassador soon.
- Hilton Diamond

Question
Q1) Hotel Loyalty: Marriott (titanium elite) or Hilton (Diamond)
- Never cared for breakfast. I am out of the hotel before 6 AM. Points work well for me. I end up using most of my points for family vacations.

Q2) Car: National (executive elite, Working fine) vs Hertz (Gold five star, wondering if any better)
- I like driving better cars. And sometimes National (at Elite level) does provide better cars. I feel the redeem rate is not fast enough.
Q1. What hotels are in the most cities you are traveling to? Do you use the lounge in the evening if they have one? Are you US based? Travel cities?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.