Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Well, taking advantage of the one day only Jan 14 AAdvantage eShopping 10x miles for Marriott bookings yesterday, I am pretty sure I’ll make out like a bandit with Marriott. I literally had 40+ bookings already made for 2019 that I canceled and rebooked through the AA eShopping to take advantage of the offer.

Not only will I earn tons of AA miles for stays I already had booked, I actually managed to lower my rates for almost half my stays.

This on top of my amazing Ambassador.
With the exception of an agent that canceled a travel certificate and re-booked the reservation with points that took several calls to correct and absurd hold times until recently, I haven't experienced significant problems. Earning 10X AAdvantage points, which I value at 1.4 cents each and 17.5 MPG points which I value at 0.75 points each, for a total value of about 27% of the qualifying amounts was a great incentive to overlook some service failings.

Although my issues have been minor, I am sympathetic to the frustration that some of you have experienced due to inexcusable failures in either customer service or IT.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Palty
so I just put the phone down with marriott I never knew the points expire, how crazy is that? They said they I "have to" use it within a certain amount of time, have I gone mad or does this rule apply for all other hotels points Base system??
Ah, yes, almost every hotel and airline loyalty program points eventually expire if you don’t have account activity of some kind in a certain time period. Usually within a year or two, depending on the program. I think Marriott requires activity within 2 years before points expire.

EDIT: Hilton requires activity within 12 months before points expire. So Marriott is twice as generous.

https://awardwallet.com/blog/do-hilt...points-expire/

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:09 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think Marriott requires activity within 2 years before points expire.
Correct, except for points in a LT membership account. If one has a LT elite level, then "currently" Marriott won't expire the points in that account. I quoted "currently" as their T&Cs specifically point that out:

"The Points expiration policy does not currently affect Points in a Lifetime Elite Membership Account; however, the Loyalty Program may choose to apply a Points expiration policy to Lifetime Elite Membership Accounts in the future."

Quoted from: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rny321
So, a reason starting point for relative values is 1.5 HH to 1 MR point.
That's an unreasonably high valuation for Hilton (which are difficult to redeem over .4 cpp). 2:1 Marriott:Hilton would be about right, though you can get individual redemptions where value is higher or lower.

On the broader question, the biggest issue I have with Hilton is lack of high end properties. If you're used to staying at high-end SPG properties in particular, Hilton is probably not going to work as your primary program. If you're staying mostly at domestic Marriotts or Courtyards, you may not notice much difference.

The Marriott and Hilton programs each have their pluses and minues, but the first question I would ask myself is, do they have hotels I want to stay in, in the places I typically go? That's my ultimate issue with Hyatt as well (though with them it's a property of coverage rather than quality).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's an unreasonably high valuation for Hilton (which are difficult to redeem over .4 cpp). 2:1 Marriott:Hilton would be about right, though you can get individual redemptions where value is higher or lower.

On the broader question, the biggest issue I have with Hilton is lack of high end properties. If you're used to staying at high-end SPG properties in particular, Hilton is probably not going to work as your primary program. If you're staying mostly at domestic Marriotts or Courtyards, you may not notice much difference.

The Marriott and Hilton programs each have their pluses and minues, but the first question I would ask myself is, do they have hotels I want to stay in, in the places I typically go? That's my ultimate issue with Hyatt as well (though with them it's a property of coverage rather than quality).
Points valuations are subjective. As I stated before, I believe using the rate at which a company sells points is a reasonable "starting point," which is not the same as claiming that the valuations are precise. Although I have been getting better than 0.5 cpp at Hilton hotels, I wouldn't disagree on a 0.4 cpp value. I value MR points at 0.75 cpp, but I have been averaging better than 1.0 cpp.

During ski season last year, points were worth about 1.3 cpp at the Waldorf in Park City. Great redemption values, like the 1 BR suite upgrade I received at the Waldorf Park City, are admittedly rare. Perhaps I am less discerning than some of you, but I have been happy with my Waldorf and Conrad stays. Since Hilton Diamond is costless for those who have and can utilize the benefits of the Aspire card and most of my stays have been in Asia where suite upgrades are common, Hilton has been a solid 2nd program for me.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:20 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:58 am

I've never understood why people get so hung up on cents per point. It means nothing. Saying that a given program's currency is less useful because a single point is worth a smaller number of U.S. dollars is like saying that Thailand is an expensive country because a a baht is worth less than a dollar. That's not how currencies work. What matters is the cost (real or opportunity) to acquire versus the value (averted cost) gained upon redemption. Period.
SPN Lifer, JLSocks and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I've never understood why people get so hung up on cents per point. It means nothing. Saying that a given program's currency is less useful because a single point is worth a smaller number of U.S. dollars is like saying that Thailand is an expensive country because a a baht is worth less than a dollar. That's not how currencies work. What matters is the cost (real or opportunity) to acquire versus the value (averted cost) gained upon redemption. Period.
Although I don't care about precise point values, having some concept of the level where I am indifferent between using points or cash is useful to me. Similarly, I often have the opportunity to pay in USD or the local currency when traveling and knowing the correct exchange rate matters.

While I certainly consider the cost of a potential purchase, I rarely consider acquisition cost when deciding at what price to sell something I own unless it is a taxable transaction. I earned millions of points from spending on my SPG card when it yielded the equivalent of 3 MR points per dollar of spending and now that I only receive 2 MR points per dollar the same card is only used for MPG hotel spending. Without some rough concept of the value of a point, it would be impossible to decide how many points per dollar of spending was reasonable.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Agreed. Also, when listening to how people save money, it is surprising how often it has nothing to do with saving money, but something else that they convince themselves of. For example, if I spend $120 on a room, and get 10% back, am I better off financially vs spending $110 and getting 7% back? I've rarely found Marriott to be the most affordable option. That is an especially large turnoff when mid-tier properties like Courtyard, Towneplace, Fairfield, etc (things only available in lots of smaller cities) aren't offering much more of a value proposition. Yet they've trained their customers to feel like they are being treated like gods. Although Hilton can really be a miss with nicer property availability in certain areas. I've found myself impressed with far more Marriott hotels in the big city vs Hilton.

You can argue your point valuations until you are blue in the face. I stick to IHG for point return as I have been approaching about a 40-50% return on my stays, which have also largely been reasonably priced. Albeit it takes a few extra cards/programs. and selective redemptions for some of that. Point valuation isn't everything though.

Whichever program is "best" is highly subjective. As stated before, some perks mean different things to different people. For some people, their choice is just because that is the brand they landed on. There are trade-offs everywhere, and no perfect program. If you want to discuss status perks between Hilton and Marriott, I think that is a close race. The difference is more about the properties for these two.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Where are new Marriott Hotels in UK ?

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Like you I’m in the U.K. I was in a similar position to you 10 years ago, I had some experience of Hilton and of Marriott. I found prices were similar and Marriotts properties to be in better condition than Hilton’s. Marriotts points accumulated at a Lower rate than Hilton’s but redeemed at lower rates. Overall the earn and burn on points seemed similar. I went with Marriott and am now Lifetime Plat. If I’d chosen Hilton I’d be only halfway to lifetime Diamond, a status any American can get by holding Hiltons Premium credit card - and get 14 points per $ too! But we don’t get that here.

Today Hilton points are worth about half Marriotts, and that’s assuming you can get a regular room, otherwise Hilton redemption rates are crazy-mad. Luckily being in Europe does mean that it is easier to find standard room redemptions than in America. Here in the U.K. the accumulation rate is similar between the two, Marriott PP is 17.5 per $ plus 6 points per £ using the British SPG AMEX. That is 30 points per £. Hilton is 20 per $ but their anaemic U.K. credit card only pays 3 per £, so ends up at 30 per £ as well. Hilton’s promos aren’t any better than Marriotts now. Both get room upgrades, both get free breakfasts at full service, both get lounge access. The only advantage Hilton has is the 10,000 bonus points on staying 40, 50, 60 and 70 paid nights. Even so, Hilton just can’t catch up with Marriott earn and burn rates here in the UK.

One advantage Hilton had was slightly more properties than Marriott but with the SPG purchase Marriott now numbers 100 hotels here and has recently signed up a significant owner of U.K. properties which are being rebranded to Delta adding another 20. By the end if this year Marriott will number 120 U.K. properties meaning it’s ferry easy to find a place to stay and accumulate those nights.

Here in the UK, the advantage very much lies with Marriott.
My experience of Marriott Hotels in the UK, has been a significant decline over the last 10 years (at least 20 ?), adding SPG only adds more hotels around London. Whereas Hilton appears to be adding a number of new build, mainly Hampton Inns (?). Can you point me to where these 20 new Delta hotels are ?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by wenzlydale

My experience of Marriott Hotels in the UK, has been a significant decline over the last 10 years (at least 20 ?), adding SPG only adds more hotels around London. Whereas Hilton appears to be adding a number of new build, mainly Hampton Inns (?). Can you point me to where these 20 new Delta hotels are ?
A hotel group that has a couple of Hilton’s and about 20 Q hotels has thrown its lot in with Marriott and will be rebranding something like 22 of its properties to Deltas over the course of the year. The first two, in Nottingham and Gloucester are due to open as Deltas shortly.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ftrichard
That's a magnificent example of buck passing on the part of the FD manager. It's a legacy-Marriott Renaissance and has not being going through the system change that Sheratons, LeMs etc. have gone through so she should have been able to investigate directly. I'm surprised you got this response.
I emailed her again saying that the points should be posted by the hotel and asking her to investigate and a similar response again. This time it was
"I have personally sent necessary documents to Marriott Rewards Center on January 7th.

I am re-sending all the document again to make sure it posts to your account."

I have also used the contact us option on Marriott website and it's more than 10 days now, no response. Will call them.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Why don't you just call Marriott customer service? The plat line (or whatever is left of it) has fixed a recent stay of mine quickly and without issue. It's an annoyance for now, but in 8 years I've only had a handful of properties not post or post incorrectly out of 1000+ nights.
I will call Marriott in a day or two.

I don't mind intermittent problems (or temporary annoyance). This has been going ON and ON since August and it's extremely frustrating to spend hours to make each stay post. I have been maintaining an excel sheet for Marriott stays where I add stays with approximate points after each check out and strike off the row once it posts. It's been really painful so far as it has been taking me 6-8 weeks of follow ups before stays post correctly (Issues have ranged from PAG points not posting, F&B not posting, some nights missing, incorrectly calculated points, points for second room missing).

It used to be smooth before the merger (Aug 2018). I had some points not post but those were once a year kind of thing, not every stay. What I am more surprised is why even legacy Marriott properties are impacted.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:56 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I will call Marriott in a day or two.

I don't mind intermittent problems (or temporary annoyance). This has been going ON and ON since August and it's extremely frustrating to spend hours to make each stay post. I have been maintaining an excel sheet for Marriott stays where I add stays with approximate points after each check out and strike off the row once it posts. It's been really painful so far as it has been taking me 6-8 weeks of follow ups before stays post correctly (Issues have ranged from PAG points not posting, F&B not posting, some nights missing, incorrectly calculated points, points for second room missing).

It used to be smooth before the merger (Aug 2018). I had some points not post but those were once a year kind of thing, not every stay. What I am more surprised is why even legacy Marriott properties are impacted.
It's either the property or something is wrong with your account/reservations. They've had hiccups, and I'm no apologist, but things are working normally with stays posting within a few days for many of us.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
It's either the property or something is wrong with your account/reservations. They've had hiccups, and I'm no apologist, but things are working normally with stays posting within a few days for many of us.
I can only hope whatever it is gets resolved soon. I did ask Marriott customer service if anything was wrong about my account but she said no, everything was OK.

Good luck to me.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
My .2 cents

I tend to value points on the low end for the purpose mentioned, determining when to just pay cash. I use half a cent for Marriott and a third of a cent for Hilton. On the other hand, sometimes I get way more than 20 points per dollar at Hilton (as much as 40-50 on past promotions) which beats the 10-15 Marriott points (incl CC).

Now when I go to spend them, it's sure nice to have loads of both. Sometimes I get <10,000 point Marriotts, sometimes I get 25K Hilton when there are only 35K Marriotts in the same area.

As far as comparing the two, I really think I get more value for Marriott points in "nicer" (maybe "more expensive?") places (including both Rome and say, New Orleans) and get more use of Hilton in the middle of nowhere TX or OK. Hiltons in the city are crazy high, so when I spend points in say, DC I am almost always in a Marriott (e.g. Res Inn 17.5K in Alexandria).

Marriott never gives me suites. Hilton does sometimes. Marriott check-in gifts are more generous, Hilton it's mostly a bottle of water. Marriott beds seem nicer over the same level Hilton (Hampton Inns are bad for me). Hilton CS seems better, until you get to the nice places, then Marriott (E.g. Renaissance).

In the end, for me, its a wash in total...but being top tier in both I just pick based on that trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.