Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I was once a marriot gold, then switched to HH for almost 10 years and has always remain gold but I feel being a HH gold is like not having any status at all. Was wondering if Marriot is any good these days?
Funny I always felt like HH Gold wasn't a bad deal. Even kept a credit card for several years just for the HH stays to get breakfast, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't understand why anyone doing some degree of Hilton stays doesn't just get the Aspire and top tier status (competitively weak, but still) for basically free net-net.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't understand why anyone doing some degree of Hilton stays doesn't just get the Aspire and top tier status (competitively weak, but still) for basically free net-net.
Probably a few reasons: some aren't at a point they can effectively justify the annual fee, others are just cheap, and still others don't know about the card even with all the advertising.

David
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Marriott issues to be aware of:
- With 30-50 nights you won't get at the top of the Marriott elite programme, limiting your freebies and upgrades
But with 50 nights aren't you getting Platinum Elite Level (now renamed) with upgrades, 4 pm late checkout and Lounge Access included?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
But with 50 nights aren't you getting Platinum Elite Level (now renamed) with upgrades, 4 pm late checkout and Lounge Access included?
Not at 49 though
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I was once a marriot gold, then switched to HH for almost 10 years and has always remain gold but I feel being a HH gold is like not having any status at all. Was wondering if Marriot is any good these days?
Well, I can admit that two years ago I left Hilton (Diamond) in favour of Marriott, and honestly I am fully satisfied with my choice.
At some Hilton properties I never got a suite upgrade nor a 4 pm late checkout, and sometimes I have been denied lounge access.
I can talk just for my European experience (no U.S. or Asia), but I feel better welcomed and treated during Marriott stays.
It could be just my personal opinion, but surely I'll keep my loyalty to Marriott in order to requalify for Elite level.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:02 am

I’ve had the exact opposite experience with HH Gold - I’ve bounced between HH Gold & Diamond over the years depending on my traveling & have found virtually no difference between the two statuses. With Gold I was upgraded to a suite about 80% of the time (luck?) & both give free breakfast - basically I’ve found no reason to chase diamond status as I didn’t see it adding much over Gold when I had that
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by ukyank

I’ve had the exact opposite experience with HH Gold - I’ve bounced between HH Gold & Diamond over the years depending on my traveling & have found virtually no difference between the two statuses. With Gold I was upgraded to a suite about 80% of the time (luck?) & both give free breakfast - basically I’ve found no reason to chase diamond status as I didn’t see it adding much over Gold when I had that
Yeah, pretty much same here. Many years I tried to keep HH Gold and MR Plat, which seemed to hit the sweet spot for my travel. Those HH Diamond parking spots are always taken anyway
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Both programs have their pros and cons. But one thing I really like about Hilton is the ability to select your rooms on a map in advance instead of being at the mercy of the front desk.
In one case I was even given two types of upgrade options in the app one day before check in. (Hilton Fukuoka Seahawk, in the app I could select either a Suite Upgrade or move up to Executive Level)
Also in Japan I really liked that Hilton generously offered breakfast and lounge benefits for up to two rooms, which is above and beyond the standard.

I started using Hilton much more often in 2015 when I had to travel to Palo Alto every week. In that area Hilton had a brand new Homewood and one well kept HGI, both of which are priced more reasonably and in significantly better conditions than the CY Palo Alto. While there were other Marriott properties in that area (I did try them out), they were all too far away.
After that Hilton had many triple point promotions, those are on top of the Diamond bonus and I was offered several times card member specific promotions.
Given how easy it was to earn points in addition to the high quality of the hotels in the areas I visited I gave almost all of my business to Hilton.

Finally after getting LTPP, Marriott is now on-par or sometimes slightly better on point earning rate. Also Marriott has a lot more properties now especially for international locations.
Given that, most likely I would put the quality of the hotels as a top criteria when I choose where to stay. So far, I hate to say that Hilton wins more often than Marriott in that aspect.
It is though very much dependent on which city and area. So YMMV.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
While I am not overly pleased with what Marriott has dropped to - especially from SPG top tier expectations - maybe I have been around these programs a little too long but it is going to be a long time before I get too excited about HHonors ever again.

I was a long time Diamond with them and very loyal and something happened that they have been trying every trick (including giving away Diamond to anyone with a pulse it seems) to get past it for a long time as a result. Still has not worked on me getting me to come back (I use every other major hotel brand still over them) and probably never will.

For What? Two words.

Black. Stone.

Proceed with caution on getting too excited about Hilton. They intentionally destroyed a large part of their loyal Customer base (including me) in one swoop over a decade ago for short term gain and no doubt will do it again if given the opportunity.

Last edited by CoMooter; Feb 20, 2019 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:54 pm

I have stayed hundreds of nights at both Hilton and Marriott, and they are very similar. I don't have as many expectations of getting free upgrades. I care more about the room being in a quiet area of the hotel. But I am Titanium and Diamond. I like the mid tier hotels at Hilton better, though.

The main advantage for Marriott is that their points are worth more.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Because I don't think I have ever stayed at a Hilton Resort. I'm not sure I want to play the airline gift card game either as I don't have a "usual" airline I fly.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I gave up on Hilton about 7-8 years ago. I had higher status w/ MAR but consistently got Gold w/ Hilton & Hilton was my back-up chain, as both chains had properties where I traveled, whether large or small cities. Lounge access is important to me. With MAR, whether I was on club floor or not, I always had guaranteed lounge access. When Hiilton switched to the you have to book or be upgraded to club floor for Golds to have lounge access, I dropped Hilton. I didn't want to play the will I get the upgrade to club floor or not guessing game. With MAR I didn't have to guess.

With Hilton upgrades either didn't occur or were only to club floor for me. The one & only time I received a suite upgrade was at Bally's many years ago, back when they participated in the Hilton program. (It was a great suite - thank you Bally's - too bad I was at a convention & was barely in the suite).

A bit of trivia. When MAR celebrated the 20th anniversary of its rewards program, it gifted all original members Lifetime Plat status. Granted, most of us already qualified for LTP, but it was a nice gesture. When Hilton celebrated the 20th anniversary of its rewards program, it gifted all original members a paperweight of their original membership card. That also tilted me towards MAR over Hilton. LTP, paperweight, LTP, paperweight, hmm, where to stay?

And getting on the points per cent thing. I've never once in my life done that calculation. I'm pretty basic - how much is a property going to cost me in $$ & do I have the $$/does budget allow, or is it better to use points if I don't have the $$/don't want to spend absurd amounts? I'm also pretty bad at math, so that may be another reason I don't do the points/cent valuation

Cheers.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Now that Marriott downgraded AMEX Plat to a level without lounge access, Hyatt got rid of status via stays, IHG has slowly gutted Kimpton Inner Circle benefits, and Wyndham bought LaQuinta and is merging their program at the end of March, I am a free agent for 2019.

I have HH Gold through their credit card, which is useful to not get the lousiest room in the property and it gets me breakfast at an overpriced HGI. But the Hilton brands I stay at the most are Home2 and Homewood, where status doesn't matter. So I am not going out of my way for 30 stays to Diamond.

I did 17 Hyatt Cat1 award nights in January, so I guess I might try to find 13 nights to make their mid tier.

But now the only place where I stay at full service Marriotts is LA, where the Westin downtown and the Burbank airport Marriott are both convenient for me depending on my activity. Limited service Marriotts are generally inferior or more expensive than Home2, HIX, Hyatt Place, or a good LaQuinta (usually one with 4.2+ on Trip Advisor), although there are still a lot of Cat1-3 CY/FF for redemption when I am doing driving trips.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am a breakfast person, so Hilton Gold is better than Marriott Gold for me. I mostly stay in Asia or in road side motels in the US. (I travel only for pleasure.)

Some points. 1. I just redeemed 4 nights at Hilton Opera at a bit more than 0.5¢ a point. I like to get 1¢ a point but that happens mostly at the Conrad Rangali (Maldives).

2. Marriott took breakfast away from Golds which effectively ends my stays with them. Basically, Marriott Gold is worthless.

3. Overall, I think Marriott is better than Hilton in the quality of the hotels.

4. Points collect faster for Hilton than Marriott. Yes, the redemption rate is higher for Hiltons, but the effective redemption rate (points per dollar spent/points needed for redemptions) is lower for Hiltons. Marriott redemption rates are about half Hilton rates, but I get more than 2x points/dollar at Hilton. (Everyone has a different metric for this and some will disagree with my evaluation.)

5. I hate the nickel and dimeing of many full service Hiltons in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.