Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Interesting - though, I would agree on experience but that is because all of my Conrads have been international and more of my JWs have been in the US. Some JWs are amazing (Camelback Inn), but I have found that Conrad internationally is quite a good brand. I need to try out more JWs internationally. With Marriott's wide set of brands, there is usually a competing hotel in value proposition to the Conrad in a respective city, but which brand it falls into is anyone's guess.
I equate Conrad often with St. Regis. Not quite the same from an atmosphere, but overall comparable IMO
dcmike likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Conrad? St Regis?

I must be doing something wrong by earning status by staying at Courtyards......
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
I equate Conrad often with St. Regis. Not quite the same from an atmosphere, but overall comparable IMO
I can totally see this, especially in terms of the service levels, and I really have liked most of the St. Regis hotels I've stayed in. It tends to be a bit more old fashioned in terms of style than the Conrad, which would be the difference in my opinion (which is what I believe you meant in terms of the atmosphere).
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I got tossed out of my room at a Homewood today after I politely requested an additional hour at noon to do a Zoom call for work. Both the desk agent and manager were emphatic that any extension would result in a half day charge in spite of a near empty Monday morning hotel. I have been spoiled by the Marriott late checkout as a Platinum and while they are occasionally smary and deny such a benefit (that means you Fairfield in Boca Raton) 90% of the time, as a business traveler I am able to keep the room for work when I need it into the afternoon. I made lifetime Diamond a few years ago and while I use the international properties and a scant number of favorite domestic ones, I am increasingly not checking Hilton options and choose Marriott even when I am leaving early which is typical.
SPN Lifer and Polytonic like this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Sure, it is no secret that limited service properties are generally the most profitable. I honestly think Hyatt’s move towards limited service is sensible for them as a business (but obviously disappointing for customers). Hyatt clearly needed to make a change from a business perspective so I understand why they are running toward the lower end. Furthermore, I sincerely deeply respect Hilton as a business. They have some of the most profitable hotel flags for developers (home2, Hampton inn, etc) and have done a great job at creating a highly efficient hotel machine that just works.

However, I disagree with the idea that the big hotel chains have unilaterally shifted focus away from higher end properties (IHG market cap is almost the same as Hyatt’s). I think it is possible to continue to invest in these higher margin limited service properties while still focusing on high-end properties as well. Marriott’s purchase of Starwood alone was a large investment in nicer properties and the reason why they are so far ahead of the rest of the pack in this regard today. As mentioned above, IHG went out of their way to purchase Kimpton and especially Six Senses. They have also worked to revive Regent (with fine properties such as the Four Seasons Shanghai Pudong reflagging to Regent) and have created their Vignette collection soft flag. Even Hilton launched their LXR soft flag relatively recently.

Base top line revenue aside, I think there is a material benefit to having nicer properties that creates a halo effect for the entire chain. It just so happens that Hyatt and Hilton don’t seem to care about this whereas Marriott and (increasingly) IHG do. The late Arne Sorenson spoke about the idea of Marriott’s nicer flags “pulling up” the perception of their cheaper flags frequently. Only time will reveal if this approach is worthwhile in the long run. Personally, this tactic definitely works on my specifically. I am far more interested in IHG for having Six Senses and Regent than I am in Hilton (which seems fine to leave their flagship Waldorf Astoria closed indefinitely).
I imagine hotel brand development is following overall economic (class) trends. It's no secret wealth inequality is growing, and the choices hotel operators are making widely reflect that. On one hand, there's a rapidly expanding limited-service footprint (e.g. Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, HGIs) for people on a tight budget, and then on the other, very high end luxury property development where some of the "expected" business frills (e.g. club lounges, breakfast) aren't really relevant to someone dropping $1k/night on a hotel room (EDITION comes to mind).

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
These are all great responses. As a former consultant mainly staying at full-service Hyatt properties for work, I was enamored by Globalist and find it hard to leave, so been mattress running ~$1K a year or so trying to maintain it (usually during a promotion so net cost isn't terrible). Staying at luxury properties on Chase points with guaranteed suite upgrades have been awesome, but that'll probably change once the award charts inevitably go away in a couple years.

Looks like some low-effort 85K certs with the Brilliant / Ritz and mattress running Titanium during a promo might be the way to go for me. Just annoying how difficult it can be to generate Marriott points effectively without work travel.
I'm not sure Titanium is really worth mattress running over. At best, you get another 40k FNC which is helpful, but it's not exactly extraordinary. I'm at 61/75 EQN YTD and I think my Titanium status has only materially helped once so far (at the W Rome).

I'll requalify this year due to some extended stays in Lower Manhattan, but likely will give it up next year. Point redemptions are astronomical for the properties I'm interested in too (e.g. 100-120k/night in some cases) and as you point out, generating Marriott points can be challenging. The 85k FNC farm is probably the ideal way to redeem for short stays, but working around Marriott's 24 month restrictions means it'll take you 3-4 years to accrue enough cards to make it a viable redemption strategy, and who knows where Bonvoy will be in 4 years?

Originally Posted by HBlurb
I got tossed out of my room at a Homewood today after I politely requested an additional hour at noon to do a Zoom call for work. Both the desk agent and manager were emphatic that any extension would result in a half day charge in spite of a near empty Monday morning hotel. I have been spoiled by the Marriott late checkout as a Platinum and while they are occasionally smary and deny such a benefit (that means you Fairfield in Boca Raton) 90% of the time, as a business traveler I am able to keep the room for work when I need it into the afternoon. I made lifetime Diamond a few years ago and while I use the international properties and a scant number of favorite domestic ones, I am increasingly not checking Hilton options and choose Marriott even when I am leaving early which is typical.
I actually think guaranteed 4pm checkout is the most valuable Bonvoy benefit, especially as it's available at Platinum rather than the top tier (i.e. Globalist) or unpublished in the case of Hilton. Just having the option of going out for the day, coming back for a late shower or getting some work done is super valuable. Probably why I've still stuck with Marriott all these years. The Hyatt footprint is tough for me to hit without promos, and I'm not sure I want to roll the dice on requalifying every year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:31 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I imagine hotel brand development is following overall economic (class) trends. It's no secret wealth inequality is growing, and the choices hotel operators are making widely reflect that. On one hand, there's a rapidly expanding limited-service footprint (e.g. Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, HGIs) for people on a tight budget, and then on the other, very high end luxury property development where some of the "expected" business frills (e.g. club lounges, breakfast) aren't really relevant to someone dropping $1k/night on a hotel room (EDITION comes to mind).
I think developers are just realizing limited service properties are commanding similar rates to full service properties without the hassle of labor and rampant wage inflation. As we continue to see labor shortages in the service sector, I expect the trend for weaker performing chains like Hyatt toward limited service properties to continue. To be fair, this was already happening pre pandemic.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
The 85k FNC farm is probably the ideal way to redeem for short stays, but working around Marriott's 24 month restrictions means it'll take you 3-4 years to accrue enough cards to make it a viable redemption strategy, and who knows where Bonvoy will be in 4 years?
You could theoretically get an 85K farm going quickly but the opportunity cost is high. Marriott Bonvoy cards are some of the few that Chase will allow you acquire even if you don’t qualify for the SUB. You can also begin stacking Brilliants immediately and add on a Boundless every year. This costs you 5/24 slots and an Amex credit card slot so I’m not sure how worthwhile it is. However, it could be worthwhile for someone fully committed to Marriott at this point. A 35K FNC farm would be much easier/simpler to create but there is still an Amex credit card opportunity cost there.

I really hope Amex/Marriott consider revamping the business card with a 50K FNC eventually. Even making it match the Hilton Business card with $15K spend -> 85K FNC would be great. I am putting so much spend onto Hilton Business Cards every month when I’d gladly swap it out for Marriott spend in a heartbeat.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post # 167)
IHG seems interest in breaking into the upper upscale/luxury space more. They have purchased Kimpton and Six Senses relatively recently and have also worked to revive Regent. They also launched a luxury soft flag (Vignette Collection) not too long ago. However, their current hotel portfolio is very similar to Hilton’s with largely limited service properties. It will take them a long time to catch up to Marriott.
Unlike Marriott & Hilton (and Hyatt), the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has no lifetime status.

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post # 177)
I think for the <20 nights a year traveler - unless there was a long-term goal for points - as with most programs (especially the airlines these days) the benefits (even in theory) are of limited value...

My sense - and please comment if this applies to you - is that there are few non-business travelers that are staying and earning top status on their own which means that the real perks only have value if you are spending a significant amount of time in hotels and the "little things" that status brings actually mean something . . . .
I fall into that less-frequent guest category, and have earned lifetime Marriott BONV°Y™ Platinum Elite status mostly through personal credit card spend, including four years as a Titanium Elite. Now we have redirected our spend and stays to obtain the same for my spouse of 30+ years. 💚

We do not usually stay at 85K-point properties. A 25K- or 35K-point Free Night Certificate (FNC), with 15K-point top-up, suits us nicely. We find value in eating breakfast and dinner at a lounge, and in the 16:00 check-out.

Once I fully retire (for the third time), I may get a Hilton Aspire AmEx to maximize options. About half our stays are in the Philippines, and half in the U.S. (including Guam).

(We are also lifetime members of the UA United Club and AA Admirals Club, purchased around 2000.)

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 25, 2023 at 4:37 am
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:08 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Unlike Marriott & Hilton (and Hyatt), the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has no lifetime status.

The OP doesn’t mention lifetime status so not sure where that’s coming from. Nonetheless, I think Marriott and Hilton lifetime status is worthless for people that have access to US credit cards now that they have become credit card perks. Both the Brilliant and Aspire are “keeper cards” (though there’s now little reason to hold more than 1 Brilliant sadly) that provide their program’s respective achievable lifetime status. Maybe Hilton lifetime Diamond is marginally more valuable due to some data points with upgrades referencing lifetime status. It seems pointless for the most part though.

The only lifetime status I view as worthwhile right now is Hyatt. If that’s the end game, I get it. Otherwise, I still think it makes the most sense to stick to the program with hotels you actually want to stay at. Marriott dominates the segment with nicer hotels and no chain besides IHG seems even mildly interested in competing.
Jiatong likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.