Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Agreed. For 60K you might as well keep the St Regis, though it’s very far away from the part of New York that I enjoy. There are not really great “vacation quality” hotels in Marriott IMO, but if I had to pick one other I’d probably go with the W Union Square - though in no way is it at the same level as the St Regis.
I am 100% with you on location. I so much prefer downtown. But if you're going to be uptown, StR location is pretty good. And while W Union Square and Edition both have fantastic downtown locations (esp. the W), the StR is a much better property, particularly from an elites benefits perspective.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If not those, then I would avoid Marriott for this stay. The Standards or the Nomad are two cool hotel (groups)s.
Also, with Thompson Hotels joining Hyatt, the Beekman is now Hyatt affiliated. Deep downtown, but a cool property.
Originally Posted by Dav77
For those that have experienced both Marriott Marquis and Renaissance at Time Square, what would you prefer ?
Root canal?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:05 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I'll be making a trip in the summer, looking for a Cat 4/5 redemption, 1 room for a party of 3. Any thoughts on the following properties? I'm mostly wondering about the size & quality of the properties' rooms, and how well the Courtyards on this list deliver on the Platinum $10 F&B voucher benefit, as we most likely won't be staying at a property with a lounge. We've all spent some some significant time in NYC so we don't need to be in tourist-central; that being said, we'll be spending time between Midtown, the Financial District, Chinatown, and Queens, so subway access is a must.

1. Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
2. Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
3. Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
4. Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Downtown East
5. New York Marriott Downtown
6. Courtyard Long Island City/New York Manhattan View

(To contribute to the Cat 5 discussion started in post #61 , while the New York Marriott Downtown does have a $15 daily destination fee, the FD calls it a credit for hotel services, I have been able to use it towards purchasing beverages in the lounge which is a nice benefit if you were planning to do that anyways.).
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryw
I'll be making a trip in the summer, looking for a Cat 4/5 redemption, 1 room for a party of 3. Any thoughts on the following properties? I'm mostly wondering about the size & quality of the properties' rooms, and how well the Courtyards on this list deliver on the Platinum $10 F&B voucher benefit, as we most likely won't be staying at a property with a lounge. We've all spent some some significant time in NYC so we don't need to be in tourist-central; that being said, we'll be spending time between Midtown, the Financial District, Chinatown, and Queens, so subway access is a must.

1. Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
2. Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
3. Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
4. Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Downtown East
5. New York Marriott Downtown
6. Courtyard Long Island City/New York Manhattan View

(To contribute to the Cat 5 discussion started in post #61 , while the New York Marriott Downtown does have a $15 daily destination fee, the FD calls it a credit for hotel services, I have been able to use it towards purchasing beverages in the lounge which is a nice benefit if you were planning to do that anyways.).
Just stayed at Herald Square. Extremely well located to the subway (go out door and take a right and it's right there).

Room was good size for NYC, convenient to Grand Central (which was important to me this past trip), pretty quick to LGA.

Just avoid the 17th floor, big rooftop bar that stays open late, but otherwise it's likely to become a go-to for me on future work trips due to location for both office and for visiting family if I have time
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
As someone who grew up in NYC and now lives elsewhere but travels frequently back for work, based on your expected places you will visit, I’d suggest one of the hotels closer to Penn Station, which I have found to be the best location when I need to get to varied places around the city.

The FFI downtown east is well located i you want Chinatown all the time, but otherwise is pretty inconveniently located for other stuff (it is essentially located under the Manhattan Bridge over on the East Broadway section of Chinatown).

Not on your list but in the Penn Station area is the Renaissance Midtown, which is my #2 go to hotel in NY these days (among legacy Marriotts) after the JE Essex House. Nice new hotel and very conveniently located.

Nearby and typically cheaper is the FFI NY Midtown/Penn Station. Good location for transit. Standard nicer NYC rooms. Nice rooftop bar views.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:23 pm

Looking to stay for 2 nights in July in New York. Planning to pay cash rate. What a good property for lounge access + breakfast?

Westin New York Grand Central
Maxwell New York City
AC Hotel New York Times Square
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Looking to stay for 2 nights in July in New York. Planning to pay cash rate. What a good property for lounge access + breakfast?

Maxwell New York City
i know the Maxwell and the AC do NOT have a lounge. Unsure of the Westin. If lounge important to you, I might suggest you do some research on which properties actually have a lounge....only one I can think of right off the top of my head is the Sheraton TS and the Sheraton Tribeca.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christianj

i know the Maxwell and the AC do NOT have a lounge. Unsure of the Westin. If lounge important to you, I might suggest you do some research on which properties actually have a lounge....only one I can think of right off the top of my head is the Sheraton TS and the Sheraton Tribeca.
The Westin does not offer lounge access.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:11 pm

How is Maxwell?
Any good reviews of the Sheraton Tribeca?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:40 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

Maxwell New York City
None of these have a lounge. Westin and Maxwell are awful. The AC is basic but brand new and totally decent if basic.

The restaurant at the AC TS is a tapas restaurant and is awesome. The breakfast is quite decent.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I might suggest you do some research on which properties actually have a lounge....only one I can think of right off the top of my head is the Sheraton TS and the Sheraton Tribeca.
Ren Midtown, Essex House, Marriott East Side.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Maxwell New York City
Originally Posted by andrewstahl

The Westin does not offer lounge access.
This but Westin offers breakfast in restaurant (didn't get so don't know what it consists of)

Originally Posted by helvetic
None of these have a lounge. Westin and Maxwell are awful. The AC is basic but brand new and totally decent if basic.

The restaurant at the AC TS is a tapas restaurant and is awesome. The breakfast is quite decent.
Disagree that the Westin is awful (assuming you are talking about the hotel itself and not just breakfast). Have stayed at a number of different NYC Marriott properties over the past few years and the Westin has always been pretty solid -- biggest downside is location (hate being in Times Square)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Duke787
This but Westin offers breakfast in restaurant (didn't get so don't know what it consists of)

Disagree that the Westin is awful (assuming you are talking about the hotel itself and not just breakfast). Have stayed at a number of different NYC Marriott properties over the past few years and the Westin has always been pretty solid -- biggest downside is location (hate being in Times Square)
Westin that was the topic of the question is the Westin New York Grand Central so I think your comment on the location and not being awful was meant about the Westin TS which was not being discussed.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Here's what I have for lounge status for NYC properties in the exec lounge sticky. Some are current; some a bit out-dated. If anyone has updates on the property, please post in this thread or in the exec lounge sticky thread & I'll update the sticky. Thx!

* NY City / JW Marriott Essex House New York / Closed; 1,000 points only per night when closed (no cont'l brekkie option); that's the technical policy but Essex House does have the exec lounge open for brekkie on the weekends for elites; 03/19 update
* NY City / Algonquin Times Square, Autograph Collection / No Lounge; Cont'l brekkie in restaurant (3 items) or $10 upcharge for anything else on menu; 1,000 points only per night on weekends; (no cont'l brekkie option); 03/19 update
* NY City / The Lexington, Autograph Collection / No Lounge; Brekkie daily in The Mixxing Room; 1,000 points only per night on weekends; (no cont'l brekkie option); 03/19 update
* NY City / Renaissance New York Hotel 57 / Closed; 1,000 points only per night when closed (no cont'l brekkie option); might be key accessible for soft drinks; 03/19 update
* NY City / Renaissance NY Times Square / Closed; 1,000 points only per night when closed (no cont'l brekkie option); 02/18 update
* NY City / New York Marriott Downtown / No Lounge; breakfast in restaurant M-F plus 750 pts/day since no lounge open in evening; Sat-Sun breakfast in restaurant or 750 pts; 02/19 update
* NY City / Renaissance Midtown / Closed; Continental Breakfast Buffet Voucher for Elite +1 (but includes hot items); key accessible for soft drinks; technically on the 1,000 points/closed exemption list, but reports of breakfast; 03/19 update
* NY City / Marriott East Side/ Closed; M Lounge; Open for brekkie only on Sat-Sun/no eve offerings Fri-Sat nights; soft drinks etc available rest of time; 06/05/16 update
* NY City / Marriott Marquis / Closed; 1,000 points only per night when closed (no cont'l brekkie option); hotel definitely enforces the elite+1 policy when open; 03/19 update
* NY City / Renaissance NYC Chelsea / No Lounge; 04/19 update
* NY City / Sheraton Times Square / OPEN; 11/16 update
* NY City / Sheraton Tribeca / OPEN; 12/18 update
* NY City / Westin Grand Central / No Lounge; 06/16 update
* NY City / W - Union Square / No Lounge;
* NY City / W Times Square / No Lounge;
* NY City / Le Meridien Central Park / Opening June '19
* NY City / The Chatwal, Luxury Collection / No Lounge; $32 credit for breakfast; 09/18 update
* NY City / St. Regis / No Lounge; PAG option: Fixed American Breakfast for 2. If you order something different you have a credit of $55 per person (up to a max of $110 on the bill). You can also order room service and the credit is $65 per person (up to a max of $130 on the bill). Room service offers a little more due to delivery fees; 12/18 update

Cheers.
andrewstahl and clooz like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:48 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Westin that was the topic of the question is the Westin New York Grand Central so I think your comment on the location and not being awful was meant about the Westin TS which was not being discussed.
Oh that part was my bad, I thought I read the TS Westin which I find to be awful (the breakfast is an absolute joke, the hotel isn't ). I haven't stayed at the Grand Central Westin so can't speak to it.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:43 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
* NY City / New York Marriott Downtown / No Lounge; breakfast in restaurant M-F plus 750 pts/day since no lounge open in evening; Sat-Sun breakfast in restaurant or 750 pts; 02/19 update
Does anyone know why the NY Marriott Downtown property closed its lounge? (Apologies if this is the wrong place; I couldn't find a property-specific master thread). When I was there in fall 2018, they still had a lounge on one of the top floors with weekday breakfast and evening appetizers & drinks. Plus it was nice to use the stupid "destination fee" toward drinks in the lounge, which lessened the sting of the fee. Also it feels like a loss since it was one of the few NYC Cat 5 properties with a lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.