Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
FYI -- Many of the old Marriotts in midtown will be reopening -- but as Sonestas -- I walk by them every day to get to our office -- it's a shame Marriott lost so many properties in midtown....
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
Does anyone know if any of the NYC luxury hotels (formally category 8) still offer a complimentary town car service?

Last time I stayed at St Regis their Bentley was out of service so wasn’t able to take advantage. The Chantel had a red Mercedes E-class with their branded logo on the door. However those stays were a few years ago so not sure if any of the luxury brands kept their town cars and are continuing service post-Pandemic.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rubey419
Does anyone know if any of the NYC luxury hotels (formally category 8) still offer a complimentary town car service?

Last time I stayed at St Regis their Bentley was out of service so wasn’t able to take advantage. The Chantel had a red Mercedes E-class with their branded logo on the door. However those stays were a few years ago so not sure if any of the luxury brands kept their town cars and are continuing service post-Pandemic.
NY Edition has a car service as of September or so, last time I was there (some kind of big, black SUV, Suburban maybe?). I believe it's up to 10 block radius.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist

The St Regis Bentley is gone permanently (despite it still being pictured prominently on their homepage). They are still doing a house car, but it is like an Escalade or similar. It's also pretty hard to get in the evenings as it is first come first served.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

With traffic back to pre pandemic levels, it may be faster to either walk or take the subway instead of car service
oopsz likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
What's the best high-end option in lower Manhattan/the financial district? I've been trying to figure it out, but it seems like there are not a lot of choices.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dcmike
What's the best high-end option in lower Manhattan/the financial district? I've been trying to figure it out, but it seems like there are not a lot of choices.
probably one of the thompsons tbh. I've been staying at the beekman if I have to be downtown.

Stay at the W hoboken and take the ferry? Or suck it up and stay at the marriott or AC downtown.
dcmike likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
With traffic back to pre pandemic levels, it may be faster to either walk or take the subway instead of car service
Traffic is actually beyond pre-pandemic levels because a lot of people still don't want to take the subway. More than 100% of pre-pandemic on the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan.

Personally I prefer the Citibike. But if it is raining, I'll take the subway.
lsquare and GW McLintock like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by stimpy
Traffic is actually beyond pre-pandemic levels because a lot of people still don't want to take the subway. More than 100% of pre-pandemic on the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan.

Personally I prefer the Citibike. But if it is raining, I'll take the subway.
This has been my experience as well. Sometimes I will check Google Maps to see if driving or public transit is quicker, and I'd say lately it's been 50-50; this is for short distances within Manhattan, but also longer trips to Queens.

-J.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
FYI -- Many of the old Marriotts in midtown will be reopening -- but as Sonestas -- I walk by them every day to get to our office -- it's a shame Marriott lost so many properties in midtown....
Totally agree. I am in NYC several times a month. I miss the old Marriott East on Lexington. Really enjoyed that property. Great M club. Always upgraded to a large room. Rooftop gym was not too shabby.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:35 pm

Which Times Square Property? W, Sheraton, or Westin

Heading to NYC in December for a few days and we have tickets to several shows and a performance at Carnegie Hall. Dates are 12/1-12/4. I'm doing an award stay and have about 120k points to spend and 3 SNA's to apply. I'm trying to decide between the W Hotel Times Square, Sheraton Times Square, or Westin Times Square.

My preference is someplace with SNA availability as a Titanium and decent breakfast offerings and a lounge. Both Sheraton and Westin have full buffet available in the morning (which my partner likes) but W's breakfast options seems lackluster and slow. Sheraton is the only one of the three with a lounge. The Westin and the W look a lot nicer though and are slightly higher points wise. The Westin seems to have better upgrade potential based on current available rooms.

Any experience with these properties? Recommendations. WWYD?

I'm open to other options if they're similar points wise.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Go with the Westin. Direct experience. It's not amazing, but it's decently good - biggest issue is friendliness of the staff, but that's a New York thing.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:12 pm

I'd pick either the Sheraton or the Westin… actually Sheraton as I’d rate it rougly the same as the Westin but is often cheaper (both cash & points).

The W Times Square really has nothing going for them except for the fact that they’re smack dab in the middle of Times Sq. If you think you’ll enjoy walking out of the hotel to the heart of Times Sq (some ppl do like this) – then W is worth considering. Housekeeping is their weakest link. I won’t go into details…………

Sheraton is a zoo but it has a decent lounge at street level with decent breakfast and is often significantly cheaper than the rest. The last time I stayed the destination fee could be used for evening drinks (beer, alcohol) in the lounge at night which I did enjoy doing to close off my day. Watching the throngs of tourists wander around Times Sq from the comfort of the lounge with a drink in your hand can be an experience in itself.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Heading to NYC in December for a few days and we have tickets to several shows and a performance at Carnegie Hall. Dates are 12/1-12/4. I'm doing an award stay and have about 120k points to spend and 3 SNA's to apply. I'm trying to decide between the W Hotel Times Square, Sheraton Times Square, or Westin Times Square.

My preference is someplace with SNA availability as a Titanium and decent breakfast offerings and a lounge. Both Sheraton and Westin have full buffet available in the morning (which my partner likes) but W's breakfast options seems lackluster and slow. Sheraton is the only one of the three with a lounge. The Westin and the W look a lot nicer though and are slightly higher points wise. The Westin seems to have better upgrade potential based on current available rooms.

Any experience with these properties? Recommendations. WWYD?

I'm open to other options if they're similar points wise.

Thanks!!
If you are really looking to be in Times Square (there are pros and cons to this), the W is the only one that is. The Sheraton and Westin, despite having Times Square in the name, are not in TS by any reasonable definition, "Times Square adjacent", at best.

The Sheraton has a terrible rep, partially deserved, but if you go in with modest expectations you'll be fine. The W is nice enough, but not really a luxury property any more (if it ever was). The Westin is fine, pretty meh overall.

None of these properties will blow your socks off, I would just go for whichever one gives you the best rate.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
If you are really looking to be in Times Square (there are pros and cons to this), the W is the only one that is. The Sheraton and Westin, despite having Times Square in the name, are not in TS by any reasonable definition, "Times Square adjacent", at best.

The Sheraton has a terrible rep, partially deserved, but if you go in with modest expectations you'll be fine. The W is nice enough, but not really a luxury property any more (if it ever was). The Westin is fine, pretty meh overall.

None of these properties will blow your socks off, I would just go for whichever one gives you the best rate.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually prefer that the Sheraton and Westin are not in Times Square proper. I mainly wanted to be close to the Carnegie hall as that's the main purpose of our visit.
I really liked the W when I was younger but you're right it's glitz has faded a bit. I have the Sheraton booked, as it's the least amount of points for our stay and closest to our venue.

Thanks for all the replies!
Marykatesmom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.