Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Historically, Manhattan hotels that aren't Downtown have had high points costs that don't necessarily match the cash price.
That was true before dynamic pricing, but there have been some points bargains this year.

OP might consider the RI Manhattan/Central Park, which is very well located for tourism, has great views, offers free breakfast, and has fully equipped kitchenettes in the rooms.

Late August or early September is going to be pricey.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got decent points pricing at the Ritz Carlton Nomad for September. But I have no idea what to expect there.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
suggestion for a hotel for 5 nights in late August/early September? Likely on points.

My wife and I along with our 3 small boys are driving from Toronto, so we'd want to be doing the touristy things during our stay.

My wife is a platinum so we'd be booking under her account...the StR and Essex are expensive and i've heard good and bad about both. We like our suite upgrades and lounge access (though it seems most Marriott brands in NYC dont have lounges?) and she has 5 SNAs that expire by the end of the year.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
are you looking to put 5 people in one room? Most NYC hotels are very small and you may not fit.

I agree on not staying downtown because most touristy stuff, particularly for young children us not downtown.

I stay in midtown a lot because my office is right by Bryant Park. Most of midtown Bonvoy properties are just okay for a business stay. If I was bringing my wife and or kids, I would upgrade to one of the Bonvoy luxury properties because they usually have bigger rooms and better service.

are you planning to drive into the city & park? If so , be prepared for that expense. NYC parking can be very expensive
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Suggestions for places to stay midtown? Or NJ for that matter. NJ may work on multiple levels since parking in NYC is crazy expensive!
If you are considering NJ then look at the Residence Inn Weehawken Port Imperial.

Last year I was in NYC with my wife & 2 small kids when the Covid Delta wave hit & all flights to India kept getting cancelled. By the time we managed to get on a flight back home it was almost 6 weeks later. The Residence Inn became our home during the time we were stuck here & I only have positive things to say about the property. The suite was huge with ample space for all 4 of us & the location was excellent in terms of going to Midtown. The Ferry port is right outside the hotel which takes you to Midtown in under 10 minutes. Parking was also very reasonable.

If you have 3 small kids, the extra space & kitchen features in the room will be extremely handy.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:29 am

NJ may work on multiple levels since parking in NYC is crazy expensive!
I would look for something close to Hoboken or Newport PATH stations. They will be on the water right across from NYC. The PATH runs between every 5-30 minutes depending on the time of day, and runs all night. Only 2.75 per person each way.

I have never stayed at any of these personally, but looks like there is a W Hoboken and near Newport there is a Courtyard, Westin and RI.

I have stayed in multiple NYC hotels over the years and they are tiny. I couldnt imagine staying in one with kids unless we got multiple rooms. I travel with 4 kids, so if it were me, i would give the RI a serious look, but dont know your budget/needs.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That was true before dynamic pricing, but there have been some points bargains this year.

OP might consider the RI Manhattan/Central Park, which is very well located for tourism, has great views, offers free breakfast, and has fully equipped kitchenettes in the rooms.

Late August or early September is going to be pricey.
Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look!

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
are you looking to put 5 people in one room? Most NYC hotels are very small and you may not fit.

I agree on not staying downtown because most touristy stuff, particularly for young children us not downtown.

I stay in midtown a lot because my office is right by Bryant Park. Most of midtown Bonvoy properties are just okay for a business stay. If I was bringing my wife and or kids, I would upgrade to one of the Bonvoy luxury properties because they usually have bigger rooms and better service.

are you planning to drive into the city & park? If so , be prepared for that expense. NYC parking can be very expensive
Yes, 5 to a room..my 3 boys are all under 6 so a separate room is likely to create more problems then it is worth. Yes I am planning to drive...i have aeroplan points but including points and cash for taxes im looking at about $1500 for the dates being looked at...so it seems like driving is much more cost effective, even including parking. What luxury property would you suggest? I could probably swing the St Regis on points but it would deplete my pool!

Originally Posted by Keyser
If you are considering NJ then look at the Residence Inn Weehawken Port Imperial.

Last year I was in NYC with my wife & 2 small kids when the Covid Delta wave hit & all flights to India kept getting cancelled. By the time we managed to get on a flight back home it was almost 6 weeks later. The Residence Inn became our home during the time we were stuck here & I only have positive things to say about the property. The suite was huge with ample space for all 4 of us & the location was excellent in terms of going to Midtown. The Ferry port is right outside the hotel which takes you to Midtown in under 10 minutes. Parking was also very reasonable.

If you have 3 small kids, the extra space & kitchen features in the room will be extremely handy.
Thanks, I'll take a look! I imagine bfast was standard RI/continental fare? As a RI I believe no lounge or platinum upgrade but I guess it comes as a 'suite'? If im understanding what you are saying, I can get to midtown NYC (which is like Times Square and the touristy stuff?) from this RI fairly easily?

Originally Posted by Schnit
I would look for something close to Hoboken or Newport PATH stations. They will be on the water right across from NYC. The PATH runs between every 5-30 minutes depending on the time of day, and runs all night. Only 2.75 per person each way.

I have never stayed at any of these personally, but looks like there is a W Hoboken and near Newport there is a Courtyard, Westin and RI.

I have stayed in multiple NYC hotels over the years and they are tiny. I couldnt imagine staying in one with kids unless we got multiple rooms. I travel with 4 kids, so if it were me, i would give the RI a serious look, but dont know your budget/needs.
Thanks for your suggestions! Will take a look.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
The other benefit of the RI Central Park is that it is located in the tallest all-hotel building in North America. The RI occupies the top 33ish floors of the 68-story tower (the Courtyard is on bottom), and yes, while I have never stayed there, the location is very good at about 2 blocks from Central Park and probably about 10 or so blocks south down Broadway to Times Square. Columbus Circle is also about a block or two away and is a great transit hub for the subway.

I prefer the eating options closer to Downtown (basically around Houston, Lafayette, and Mulberry Streets) so often travel from Midtown to Downtown using the subway (Columbus Circle would be a good nearby hub).

RI Building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1717_Broadway
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
When the UN was in session and rates were sky high in Manhattan, I stayed at the Courtyard Jersey City Newport recently. Rooms are good size for a CY. Not sure if rollaway beds are permitted, you would have to check with the hotel. It is literally adjacent to the PATH station with very easy access to NYC. It is a CY, so very slim odds of a suite upgrade and no lounge. There is also a Westin in the same area though I haven't stayed at it yet. If the Manhattan points rates are very high, Jersey City tends to be a bit lower. Book early or it can get just as expensive as Manhattan. Finally, Jersey City area has some interesting ethnic restaurants (may not be of interest with very young kids). Hoboken is another option with a PATH stop thought I haven't stayed there yet.

Count me as a dissenting vote on not staying in downtown Manhattan. You have the 911 Memorial, Eataly (which is touristy but fun), The South Street Seaport, Staten Island Ferry, and Statue of Liberty Ferry all in the area. The Manhattan Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Tenement Museum are also close by. Finally, you can get anywhere in the city very easily by subway. Depends on your comfort level on using the subway with your family. Personally I am fine with it other than late at night. For late at night, Uber's should be less expensive since there is less traffic. The benefit of staying downtown is you can get properties with larger rooms at lower price points. New York Marriott Downtown and the Residence Inn at 4 Maiden Lane (not the newer one in the Financial District) have good size rooms (at least for NYC) at relatively reasonable price points.

If you want luxury properties with good lounges, your options will be much more limited and higher price points. Nothing wrong with that, just a personal decision on cost/benefit.

Finally, Times Square is a crowded zoo virtually 24x7. I do not recommend staying there with young children (well really at all).

Good luck and have fun!

--Jon
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
1) I continue to disagree with the comments about not staying downtown (regardless of hotel brand). Downtown has a lot of stuff, including Wall Street, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, hudson river views, and importantly, very good hotel options for families (Marriott Downtown, Conrad NYC). Plus for those that are concerned about crowds, "social issues" and the like you may see in Times Square, the area around Marriott Downtown / Conrad are among the cleanest in the city. And it is very easy to get to Midtown or other areas for broadway, museums, Radio City, whatever via subway lines or uber.

2) If you really want to be in Times Square, there are several good options - Marriott Marquis (newly renovated), Residence Inn Central Park (breakfast), Renaissance and W. I'm leaving out stuff like St Regis, Essex House, Ritz Carlton midtown as those are expensive

3) If I were staying in NYC personally, I would gravitate towards Edition or check out the new Ritz Carlton if I could swing it.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thanks, I'll take a look! I imagine bfast was standard RI/continental fare? As a RI I believe no lounge or platinum upgrade but I guess it comes as a 'suite'? If im understanding what you are saying, I can get to midtown NYC (which is like Times Square and the touristy stuff?) from this RI fairly easily?
Breakfast was decent. A few hot items, different types of bread, cereal, pancakes, juice, etc.

No lounge but the suite was huge & the full kitchen was very helpful.

The ferry will drop you off on 39th St. From there all the touristy stuff is an easy walk.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:19 pm

The other benefit of the RI Central Park is that it is located in the tallest all-hotel building in North America. The RI occupies the top 33ish floors of the 68-story tower (the Courtyard is on bottom), and yes, while I have never stayed there, the location is very good at about 2 blocks from Central Park and probably about 10 or so blocks south down Broadway to Times Square. Columbus Circle is also about a block or two away and is a great transit hub for the subway.

I prefer the eating options closer to Downtown (basically around Houston, Lafayette, and Mulberry Streets) so often travel from Midtown to Downtown using the subway (Columbus Circle would be a good nearby hub).

RI Building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1717_Broadway
Thanks for the insight!!

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
When the UN was in session and rates were sky high in Manhattan, I stayed at the Courtyard Jersey City Newport recently. Rooms are good size for a CY. Not sure if rollaway beds are permitted, you would have to check with the hotel. It is literally adjacent to the PATH station with very easy access to NYC. It is a CY, so very slim odds of a suite upgrade and no lounge. There is also a Westin in the same area though I haven't stayed at it yet. If the Manhattan points rates are very high, Jersey City tends to be a bit lower. Book early or it can get just as expensive as Manhattan. Finally, Jersey City area has some interesting ethnic restaurants (may not be of interest with very young kids). Hoboken is another option with a PATH stop thought I haven't stayed there yet.

Count me as a dissenting vote on not staying in downtown Manhattan. You have the 911 Memorial, Eataly (which is touristy but fun), The South Street Seaport, Staten Island Ferry, and Statue of Liberty Ferry all in the area. The Manhattan Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Tenement Museum are also close by. Finally, you can get anywhere in the city very easily by subway. Depends on your comfort level on using the subway with your family. Personally I am fine with it other than late at night. For late at night, Uber's should be less expensive since there is less traffic. The benefit of staying downtown is you can get properties with larger rooms at lower price points. New York Marriott Downtown and the Residence Inn at 4 Maiden Lane (not the newer one in the Financial District) have good size rooms (at least for NYC) at relatively reasonable price points.

If you want luxury properties with good lounges, your options will be much more limited and higher price points. Nothing wrong with that, just a personal decision on cost/benefit.

Finally, Times Square is a crowded zoo virtually 24x7. I do not recommend staying there with young children (well really at all).

Good luck and have fun!

--Jon
Thanks! No issues using the subway...can anyone comment on how far it is from downtown to midtown via subway?

Originally Posted by Adelphos
1) I continue to disagree with the comments about not staying downtown (regardless of hotel brand). Downtown has a lot of stuff, including Wall Street, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, hudson river views, and importantly, very good hotel options for families (Marriott Downtown, Conrad NYC). Plus for those that are concerned about crowds, "social issues" and the like you may see in Times Square, the area around Marriott Downtown / Conrad are among the cleanest in the city. And it is very easy to get to Midtown or other areas for broadway, museums, Radio City, whatever via subway lines or uber.

2) If you really want to be in Times Square, there are several good options - Marriott Marquis (newly renovated), Residence Inn Central Park (breakfast), Renaissance and W. I'm leaving out stuff like St Regis, Essex House, Ritz Carlton midtown as those are expensive

3) If I were staying in NYC personally, I would gravitate towards Edition or check out the new Ritz Carlton if I could swing it.
No specific want to be by times square, just somewhere where we can get to all the main attractions. The Downtown Marriott and NJ options are what I am looking at thus far. Parking is also a consideration as we are driving down to save some money...but so far NYC hotels want to charge $65/day lol.

Originally Posted by Keyser
Breakfast was decent. A few hot items, different types of bread, cereal, pancakes, juice, etc.

No lounge but the suite was huge & the full kitchen was very helpful.

The ferry will drop you off on 39th St. From there all the touristy stuff is an easy walk.
Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As I posted above, I stayed with family at both the central park RI and the midtown RI and the midtown has much more space and gave us a two bedroom suite upgrade. Central park is more modern if that matters. We had great views at both, with the midtown suite having a view over Bryant Park. There are nice restaurants around both if you know where to look.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Subway from downtown to midtown depending on the exact area of each and time of day is approx. 20 minutes. Uber/Lyft/Taxi generally won't be any faster at peak times due to traffic. You didn't ask but PATH to midtown will be a little longer but not much.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Aug 16, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
My advice for a nice hotel are the hotels at NewPort mall and Hoboken (Path minutes to downtown NYC)
Hoboken, NewPort and Exhange Plaza are much safer then Manhattan these days. Manhattan is going downhill with legal weed and a lot of husseling.
My advice: Stay at the other side of the river and only at daytime to Manhattan.
Westin Newport is a nice hotel but its becoming expensive.
Flying? Go to Newark instead JFK.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ITravelElite
My advice for a nice hotel are the hotels at NewPort mall and Hoboken (Path minutes to downtown NYC)
Hoboken, NewPort and Exhange Plaza are much safer then Manhattan these days. Manhattan is going downhill with legal weed and a lot of husseling.
My advice: Stay at the other side of the river and only at daytime to Manhattan.
Westin Newport is a nice hotel but its becoming expensive.
Flying? Go to Newark instead JFK.
Manhattan is fine - don't listen to this. I saw so many people and so many families this weekend - even ran into a street shut down with a bouncey house tunnel for kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.