Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Redhead
A friend who lives there said that herself and 10 friends had been pickpockted in the last 6 months. All lifelong NYers.
I would take that with a bit more than a grain of salt. I too am a lifelong NYer, but so are my parents and in 30+ years of commuting by subway to major tourist areas almost daily (Rockefeller Center, Times Square, the old and new WTCs, etc.) they've never had a problem. While I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it certainly isn't as prevalent as in other places like __(insert any major EU city)__.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 19, 2022 at 11:56 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I would take that with a bit more than a grain of salt. I too am a lifelong NYer, but so are my parents and in 30+ years of commuting by subway to major tourist areas almost daily (Rockefeller Center, Times Square, the old and new WTCs, etc.) they've never had a problem. While I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it isn't as prevalent as in other places like __(insert any major EU city)__.
Agree. If you want to see pickpockets in action, hang out by Duomo di Milano in Italy. I don't know anyplace in NYC where you could just sit back and watch pickpockets work.
lostlittleladybug likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
For your first time in NYC, based on your nervousness, I would stay away from staying in Chinatown and the Fairfield you mentioned - note that I would argue that is a great area for dining, and I wouldn't say that it is dangerous. It just isn't the best-looking area and also can be incredibly crowded along Canal Street with the street vendors. Again, fantastic area for dining (not just Asian-based cuisines), and I usually find myself there at least once a trip, but you can visit without staying there.
I need to be in the Chinatown area to meet up with my colleagues and this was the only Marriott Bonvoy property I could find within our budget. Honestly, it is one of the least expensive hotels in the area unless we want to share a bathroom with other guests. You mention that it isn't dangerous, but you said you would not recommend staying there. Could you elaborate a little further? Is it solely based on the fact that I am a nervous traveler? I honestly want to know if there is a valid reason not to stay at this location. This location is near a church and a public school. Right around the corner is a daycare. I can't imagine parents would bring their families or children to this area if it wasn't safe. I know it's not a "pretty" part of town. I don't care too much about aesthetics of the surrounding area. I looked at Google maps. I see a lot of graffiti and some trash on the streets. A Chinese grocery store next door. I also see a lot of older people in the area. But I didn't see any homeless people like I did on the corner by the Chelsea location we were looking at. Nothing I saw on Google maps at the street level was too alarming to me. Obviously people stay at this Fairfield Inn location because there are recent reviews and I didn't see any that mention safety as a concern. The only thing I saw on another forum was that someone said to not ride the buses especially in this area. They agreed with many of you in regards to the subway being safer than the buses. Maybe I am missing something? That's why I am asking you to elaborate.

Has anyone stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Henry Street in Chinatown? Can anyone tell me if it is clean, comfortable, and if it's safe to stay there? If not, then could someone recommend a better Marriott Bonvoy property near Chinatown? Or a hotel that doesn't require us to share a bathroom that's under $350 per night in the second week of October?

We worked out the transportation issues. One of the colleagues will be providing some of the transportation and we will just use an Uber and PATH for the other part. I am not afraid to use the subway any more, and we may use it to move around the city when we have our own time to explore. For personal comfort, I think it will be easier to just take an Uber back and forth to the PATH station when we are coming to the hotel and leaving, or an Uber the whole way. I know it will be costly. But we won't have to drag our suitcases everywhere while trying to navigate unfamiliar streets. Someone asked what kind of work I do. We will not be in an office setting or attending a conference. We all do not work for the same company. This is more like a team bonding experience to prepare for a collaboration. We will have meetings in relaxed settings. Thanks for letting me know that some places still require the vaccination cards. So far, it was mentioned that a church and a few restaurants required them for indoor dining. Will any hotels or tourist spots require them?

Thanks again to all of you who are sharing this wealth of information.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I would take that with a bit more than a grain of salt. I too am a lifelong NYer, but so are my parents and in 30+ years of commuting by subway to major tourist areas almost daily (Rockefeller Center, Times Square, the old and new WTCs, etc.) they've never had a problem. While I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it certainly isn't as prevalent as in other places like __(insert any major EU city)__.

-J.
Oh, I grew up in NYC too. I know it is nowhere near as prevalent as other cities. But it does seem to be getting worse. NYC is still the safest big city I know. I love it with all my heart, but it does seem to be a bit more common now. Just a friendly reminder for visitors
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lostlittleladybug
I need to be in the Chinatown area to meet up with my colleagues and this was the only Marriott Bonvoy property I could find within our budget. Honestly, it is one of the least expensive hotels in the area unless we want to share a bathroom with other guests. You mention that it isn't dangerous, but you said you would not recommend staying there. Could you elaborate a little further? Is it solely based on the fact that I am a nervous traveler? I honestly want to know if there is a valid reason not to stay at this location. This location is near a church and a public school. Right around the corner is a daycare. I can't imagine parents would bring their families or children to this area if it wasn't safe. I know it's not a "pretty" part of town. I don't care too much about aesthetics of the surrounding area. I looked at Google maps. I see a lot of graffiti and some trash on the streets. A Chinese grocery store next door. I also see a lot of older people in the area. But I didn't see any homeless people like I did on the corner by the Chelsea location we were looking at. Nothing I saw on Google maps at the street level was too alarming to me. Obviously people stay at this Fairfield Inn location because there are recent reviews and I didn't see any that mention safety as a concern. The only thing I saw on another forum was that someone said to not ride the buses especially in this area. They agreed with many of you in regards to the subway being safer than the buses. Maybe I am missing something? That's why I am asking you to elaborate.

Has anyone stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Henry Street in Chinatown? Can anyone tell me if it is clean, comfortable, and if it's safe to stay there? If not, then could someone recommend a better Marriott Bonvoy property near Chinatown? Or a hotel that doesn't require us to share a bathroom that's under $350 per night in the second week of October?

We worked out the transportation issues. One of the colleagues will be providing some of the transportation and we will just use an Uber and PATH for the other part. I am not afraid to use the subway any more, and we may use it to move around the city when we have our own time to explore. For personal comfort, I think it will be easier to just take an Uber back and forth to the PATH station when we are coming to the hotel and leaving, or an Uber the whole way. I know it will be costly. But we won't have to drag our suitcases everywhere while trying to navigate unfamiliar streets. Someone asked what kind of work I do. We will not be in an office setting or attending a conference. We all do not work for the same company. This is more like a team bonding experience to prepare for a collaboration. We will have meetings in relaxed settings. Thanks for letting me know that some places still require the vaccination cards. So far, it was mentioned that a church and a few restaurants required them for indoor dining. Will any hotels or tourist spots require them?

Thanks again to all of you who are sharing this wealth of information.
It is unlikely that any tourist places will require vaccine cards, but it's just smart to have them on hand

Do know that some places like the Natural History Museum and some others are requiring reservations to maintain capacity limits. Just check online before you go

Chinatown is perfectly safe, it is just super crowded and can be a bit smelly. If you are using the hotel only for sleeping and don't care about the rest, it's fine if it is all that is in your budget. But I would also check out Long Island City (LIC). It's just a stop or two into Queens on the 7 train and might be more affordable. It has some good restaurants, you can also take the ferry over and walk. Less crowded and overwhelming than Chinatown
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:22 am

Eric Adams announced today even more easing of COVID restrictions, but if you are coming in October those may not apply to you. I have not been asked for proof of vaccination in over 6 months, and I am in NYC daily.

There are schools and day cares on basically every block in NYC. No matter how bad the neighborhood is people live there and have kids, so I would not use that as a gauge.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Originally Posted by Redhead
Chinatown is perfectly safe, it is just super crowded and can be a bit smelly.
agreed. Chinatown would not be a recommendation for a first trip to the city. Even if you are not spending a lot of time in the neighborhood besides coming/going this will leave a lasting impression on you for your trip. I understand your struggle with this price point but comparing this hotel to the previous Chelsea location is not even close. You are not going to experience the flower district via street view it’s something you need to get up early for while the regional vendors are still out and you will literally see the streets covered in product. You typically cannot even walk down the sidewalks, it’s a fun experience.

The subway is easy to navigate if you need to meet people for your work functions. Luggage is common on the system, but the City is very walkable.

As far as pickpocketing, it obviously happens but can’t say it’s prevalent.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:43 pm

Any thoughts on the Moxy Downtown vs the Four Points in SoHo? I'd prefer to be in SoHo/Chelsea than downtown, but the Four Points looks quite tired, which really doesn't appeal. I'd rather a few extra minutes on the Subway/in a cab and be in a more modern hotel. My points balance is pretty low, so unfortunately I'm only looking at 40k/50k points per night hotels.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by liamg
Any thoughts on the Moxy Downtown vs the Four Points in SoHo? I'd prefer to be in SoHo/Chelsea than downtown, but the Four Points looks quite tired, which really doesn't appeal. I'd rather a few extra minutes on the Subway/in a cab and be in a more modern hotel. My points balance is pretty low, so unfortunately I'm only looking at 40k/50k points per night hotels.
Stayed at the FS SoHo last weekend. Great location but agreed the room is small and tired. The view was actually pretty nice from a higher floor. The AC was loud, but that's not unique to the hotel.
josephstern and liamg like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:00 pm

Planning a short trip to NYC and trying to figure out where to stay. Any suggestions for a nice place midtown in the $300-400 a night range?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cyog
Planning a short trip to NYC and trying to figure out where to stay. Any suggestions for a nice place midtown in the $300-400 a night range?
Wow. Ok. searching on marriott.com shows 179 hotels available next week for one night (09/28/22-09/29/22). Some are in your price range - inclusive of taxes and fees. Most are not. Haven't a clue what is your definition of "a nice place midtown" or if you're willing to go off Manhattan to find a "nice place" that's in your price range.

David
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:28 am

When I was searching, most were in that range, other than the top tier ones. "A nice place" as in clean, nice staff and service, good amenities, location, condition of the property isn't falling apart, recognize elite status and offer free breakfast.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
When I was searching, most were in that range, other than the top tier ones. "A nice place" as in clean, nice staff and service, good amenities, location, condition of the property isn't falling apart, recognize elite status and offer free breakfast.
There are a lot of hotels in NYC and a general question like this isn't going to get you far. For example, last year I stayed at the Fairfield in Chelsea and it was fine (and had free breakfast!), but I'm not sure if you're looking for a Fairfield, or maybe a W and you are hoping for a free breakfast as an elite benefit.

If you're looking for a free-for-everyone breakfast, you have Fairfields, Residence Inns, SpringHills, and I think there is a TownePlace Suites somewhere.

Otherwise... there are a lot of other places. I wish I could be more helpful.

-J.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It may be helpful to list the hotels in your price range for the dates you are looking for, so people don't have to guess which hotels may or may not be in range. Prices fluctuate quite a bit.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Also, "nice staff" in NYC may differ greatly in service and attitude versus "nice staff" in YVR.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.