Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:36 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Got a response saying my file was 3,700 pages and documented 600+ interactions with Marriott. They asked me if I really wanted all of it (I said yes) and told me they'd need to extend the 45 days by another 45 days to provide it.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:56 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I’ve clearly missed this upthread, but how does one go about asking Marriott for this data? Can we share this info in a wiki are the top of the thread for ease of access?

Thanks in advance!

khabah
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mileageking
Yes got a similar response and it would take an extra month if I want everything.
Originally Posted by helvetic
Got a response saying my file was 3,700 pages and documented 600+ interactions with Marriott. They asked me if I really wanted all of it (I said yes) and told me they'd need to extend the 45 days by another 45 days to provide it.
I was told it would take an extra 2 months for mine. Also in the neighborhood of 3700 pages.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
If you call "Mr Marriott's" line, they have a recording of everytime you have called.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Amusingly, there were some errors in identifying people; and some of those misidentification errors still remain.
A friend from Paris stayed at a Ski resort ritz (first marriott ever) and his wife was denied a spa apt for "unknown reason" due to report "from unknown Ritz" After she talked to GM he admitted it was a wrong id
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
It's human nature that these reports will be completely negative, or almost so. The default guest interaction is smooth and friendly. Short of huge tips, thank you gifts, etc., no staffer would feel a positive experience was out of the ordinary.

Special requests, even those less unusual than disabling electronics in the room, add to the probability of negative comments. Not only might a busy hotel staffer find a particular request annoying, there is also a some chance that the request won't be properly honored the first time simply because it's not routine. (Nobody saw the note on the reservation, the communication between staff broke down, etc.) This sets up the opportunity for a (polite) confrontation in which the guest points out the service failure. Most of the time, no problem. But, if the guest conveys irritation (perhaps well-justified), if the staffer is having a bad day, if there's no immediate fix for the problem, if a manager gets involved... there's a chance someone will make a note on the account.

There's nothing wrong with guests asking for what they are promised, but budget and even some premium properties aren't going to respond with the deference of a Ritz Carlton.

One simple hack to prevent frequent guests looking problematic would be to add a "no problem" rate to the guest record. Someone who stays 300 nights a year might accumulate a dozen "overly demanding" or "rude" comments in a few years, even if there were no real problems. A hotel staffer might, seeing these comments, conclude the guest is a jerk. Showing a "99.1% great stay" rate might reduce the chance of misinterpreting the guest's record.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by khabah
I’ve clearly missed this upthread, but how does one go about asking Marriott for this data? Can we share this info in a wiki are the top of the thread for ease of access?

Thanks in advance!

khabah
This is the direct request page.
https://privacyportal-cdn.onetrust.c...7fbe290de.html

The link to this can be found in Marriott's privacy policy, under Privacy Rights
https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
It's hilarious witnessing so many people in this thread get so worked up about companies keeping customer data. It's clear the vast majority don't understand CRM, especially in the hospitality context, at all.
Perhaps it's because anybody at a Marriott hotel can access and update these records for any reason, and the client is unaware and/or has no control over how the data is used.

At my firm, we of course have a CRM sytem and also know that our vendor partners are using the same types of platforms. But only a very limited set of people have access, and both our clients and our vendors are fully aware of how these systems are used in our industry. We would never allow an office receptionist, for example, to access this system.

It's possible, I suppose, that Marriott has tightly restricted its system and/or requires a General Manager to review every free-form comment. But perhaps part of the minor freak-out here is that it seems like this isn't the case - just from the comments in this thread. It sounds like hourly/front-line employees have access and that the comments entered aren't entirely professional.

I'm not that worked up about it myself, although over the course of 1000+ nights in regular hotels and another 1000+ in Execustay I have to wonder what's in there. I've had one lengthy (multiple calls/emails) "bad" interaction with a hotel - getting one to provide the Platinum URG benefits a few years back - although Marriott corporate mostly sided with me on that one. Plus a few minor service issues. Lots of great stays and lots of basic no-issue stays, but those don't get any special notes in a CRM system. Not sure if I'll ever get bored enough to actually request my file...
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by pinniped
Perhaps it's because anybody at a Marriott hotel can access and update these records for any reason, and the client is unaware and/or has no control over how the data is used.

At my firm, we of course have a CRM sytem and also know that our vendor partners are using the same types of platforms. But only a very limited set of people have access, and both our clients and our vendors are fully aware of how these systems are used in our industry. We would never allow an office receptionist, for example, to access this system.

It's possible, I suppose, that Marriott has tightly restricted its system and/or requires a General Manager to review every free-form comment. But perhaps part of the minor freak-out here is that it seems like this isn't the case - just from the comments in this thread. It sounds like hourly/front-line employees have access and that the comments entered aren't entirely professional.
First off, it's completely unclear what precise data is accessible and by whom. FT'ers upthread have mentioned that their files have included absurd levels of irrelevance, e.g., every e-mail they've ever sent to customer service at Marriott. Not all of this stuff is going to be accessible on a property's PMS. Let's not overgeneralize or lump everything together as far as either data or who can access it without having that specific information. It doesn't help reasonable, factual discussion here.

Comparing different industries also lacks relevance because hospitality is a front-line industry. Front-line employees are who guests deal with and ideally guests should never even have to deal with anyone but front-line employees. CRM data relevant to guest desires is useless if front-line employees don't have it. At the vast majority of properties, the general manager is not the guy who is going to be doing anything specifically relevant to 99%+ of guests.

As an example of this, by far the number one, shall we say, 'fixable' or perhaps 'avoidable' guest complaint is about room noise. That's why many hotel chains give guests the option to self-input that data directly in the reservations system (e.g., request a high floor or a room far from the elevators, etc.). If a guest complains about room noise, staff are going to make a note about it in the PMS so they know what specifically the problem was (hallway noise? elevator? traffic from a certain road? etc.) and to put that guest in a quieter room from the get-go next time. It's front-line employees that are going to handle these reservation requests and/or room assignments. Perhaps that's also why some of the notations may appear "unprofessional", because it's these same front-line employees hurriedly putting this information in.

In any case, the point of my post was simply this: Businesses, including hospitality businesses, value customer data because it helps to improve the customer experience. Describing a CRM system as an "Internal System Where they can criticize you!!" is such a laughable overreaction that it's hard to believe this thread actually has 200+ replies that aren't entirely derisive, but I suppose that's the disconnect between those who have only been on the guest side of things versus those of us who have worked in the industry.

Even worse, requesting 3000+ pages of data to be sent hardcopy is beyond ridiculous, even for the most paranoid. It's an absurd waste of resources, both human and physical.

Originally Posted by txirish
It's human nature that these reports will be completely negative, or almost so. The default guest interaction is smooth and friendly. Short of huge tips, thank you gifts, etc., no staffer would feel a positive experience was out of the ordinary.
This is some seriously wild fantasy about "these reports". The reality is that hotel staff are largely nonplussed by guest requests, even from guests that you might consider to be very difficult, if for no other reason than that it happens many times every single day. It's just the reality of the hospitality industry. Most staff are way too busy to care about these interactions, much less have the time to write "these reports" about them.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
First off, it's completely unclear what precise data is accessible and by whom.
Marriott/Starwood has proven multiple times that it's loose and careless with their customers' data. So it's a completely natural response to wonder who has access and exactly what data they have access to.

Comparing different industries also lacks relevance because hospitality is a front-line industry. Front-line employees are who guests deal with and ideally guests should never even have to deal with anyone but front-line employees. CRM data relevant to guest desires is useless if front-line employees don't have it. At the vast majority of properties, the general manager is not the guy who is going to be doing anything specifically relevant to 99%+ of guests.
I have no issue with an FDC having access to my preferences - the settings I've specifically made myself for the exact purpose of enabling the front line to provide service. What is suggested here is that they also have access to a wide variety of extraneous things in the system, unrelated to actually providing service on *this* stay.

Even worse, requesting 3000+ pages of data to be sent hardcopy is beyond ridiculous, even for the most paranoid. It's an absurd waste of resources, both human and physical.
Agreed...that's pretty ridiculous, although it's not unreasonable for them to be able to fulfill an electronic request pretty quickly.

This is some seriously wild fantasy about "these reports".
I'm sure reality is a lot less interesting than the fantasy, but it still feels like there's an opportunity for abuse - both internally with people being able to add less-than-professional information and externally given that Marriott has repeatedly failed to protect my data from outsiders.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by pinniped
Marriott/Starwood has proven multiple times that it's loose and careless with their customers' data. So it's a completely natural response to wonder who has access and exactly what data they have access to.
C'mon, there is a world of difference between 'wondering who has access to what data' and an outright statement that 'anyone at a Marriott property can access everything in these files'.

Some of the notions espoused in this thread are so farfetched as to be entirely farcical to anyone who has actually worked in the industry.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
I’m curious what kind of information do Marriott staff see when one checks in? How many nights or points you have? Years of elite status? Anything else? They typically say thank you for being elite guest but any specific numbers behind this that they see?
Old May 2, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium//JAL Global Club//HH Diamond//United 1K
How long does it usually take after you guys sent in your documents for verification on the portal before they get back to you guys either with the data or to ask you if you're sure you want it? Any data points?
Old May 2, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Anson.tzy
How long does it usually take after you guys sent in your documents for verification on the portal before they get back to you guys either with the data or to ask you if you're sure you want it? Any data points?
24 days and nothing for me atleast... slow cooking on this stuff
Old May 2, 2020, 11:05 am

I sent it in then received another email back after some time requesting some info and a copy of your passport etc.to prove who you are, with the number omitted. Sent a pic in and doctored it up a little and haven't heard boo since or that they even received it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.