Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

High value SPG members: Marriott screwing us on LTPP because they can't do IT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High value SPG members: Marriott screwing us on LTPP because they can't do IT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by stant
why when you are making a new program would you bother making ltpp for just the first year?
Primarily to "grandfather" (read: one-time grant) legacy Marriott lifetime Platinum members who had earned that "level" (75 nights) and benefits in the old program. Offering it on some basis to Starwood members is an accommodation.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Neither one. The most valuable customer is based on $$$ spent, not nights,
Profit is much more meaningful than revenue.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by dayone
Primarily to "grandfather" (read: one-time grant) legacy Marriott lifetime Platinum members who had earned that "level" (75 nights) and benefits in the old program. Offering it on some basis to Starwood members is an accommodation.
And then Starwood members wanted their 750 nights treated the same as Marriott nights. Once SPG nights counted towards the 750 needed, MPG felt the needed to allow combined nights and years of status. Then Marriott members wanted to be able to use combined nights and uncombined points. Others continue to want combined nights and combined points.

If you give a mouse a cookie.....
RogerD408 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by craigthemif
That's because your memory is failing you. Back when the economy was weak we received proper improvements such as breakfast at all SPG brand hotels and suites becoming eligible for upgrades, not to mention some pretty fabulous promos...

Eventually we'll get a recession and if it's bad enough we'll get more perks sent our way. No reason to aim for lifetime status of course, but still...
My memory didn’t fail me. SPG was wonderful at offering new benefits (breakfast, wifi, SNAs, Your24, late check out, increase BRG from 10 to 20%). But they were a one of a kind. Marriott did match some of those benefits to placate SPG members, but I cannot see them offering better benefits down the road now that they control such a huge share of the hotel market. They couldn’t even offer free breakfast at resorts (where most people aren’t on expense accounts) until the merger.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I don’t know how any of this works anymore. I was Lifetime Platinum with SPG for years. My new Marriott account only shows me as Platinum. I’ve called, emailed, even tweeted, but no one can figure out why it shows LT on their end. Almost 4 months later, I feel forgotten. No one got back to me after promising they would. One email reply asked me some questions, then didn’t get back to me. �� I’m staying at my first Marriott tomorrow night (1st since the merger) and I’m very curious to ask them what status they see. Personally, I’m not going to be over it until I get a Card from Marriott stating my Lifetime designation.
I echo thaliajen comments.I just made LTP after 20 years in the program. Still no acknowledgement from SPG/Marriott on the website or via email. Do you think they will ever send out cards?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
If you give a mouse a cookie.....
I agree with this very succinct summary.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
OHHHHH. well now that I know what grandfather means, I am perfectly happy that I can spend 125 nights a year in starriot properties these days and spend tens of thousands a dollars a year with them and have been a member since the spg program started BUT not get access to ltpp just because I went from not quite making platinum for many years straight to ambassador level, just not for long enough to get my 10 platinum years in to qualify... So I'll have more nights and more spend than (at least some - maybe many) LTPPs even more total years of loyalty, i just wont ever be able to qualify. makes perfect sense.

/sarcasm

Last edited by stant; Nov 30, 2018 at 5:26 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

not for long enough to get my 10 platinum years in to qualify […] makes perfect sense.
To some, it does.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The OP makes some good points, but so do others.

The fact is that anyone who doesn’t have 10 years or close of Platinum status in either program or combined has little leg on which to stand. I am most fortunate that the combined calculation allows me to reach Lifetime Platinum Premier/Titanium status.

That being said, the fact that Marriott is only making LPP/Titanium status achievable for this onetime sweep in Jan 2019 is quite unfortunate and perhaps ill-conceived; after all, were people able to still achieve that status in coming years, there would be little complaining.

Personally, I think Marriott made this mess for itself by foolishly creating the Lifetime Plat Premier level in the first place. The fact is that pre-merger Marriott Platinums (requiring 75 nights) didn’t have half the elite benefits and perks that even the new post-merger Platinum status has (requiring 50 nights). Had everyone just been swept into a Lifetime Platinum tier with these much enhanced Platinum benefits, with everyone continuing to still be able to earn that Lifetime Platinum status, Marriott would have saved itself a lot of hassle.

That is now neither here nor there. But it does argue for Marriott to perhaps reconsider ending its Lifetime Platinum Premier/Titanium qualification period. That would end the discussion, even if Marriott compromises and significantly raises the qualification for future consideration.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:44 pm

Considering that the head of the combined Loyalty Department came from the Starwood side, it is astounding that nobody considered the backlash from SPG members who were initially not offered a path to LTPP. If SPG had simply added a 750 night Platinum level a while back that would have converted to LTPP, the perception of unfairness would have been reduced.

Anyone without 10 years of combined Platinum status certainly didn't have the 10 years of SPG status needed to qualify for LTP under the legacy SPG rules. I know that much of the following is off topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic and there are only so many ways to address the complaints of people who didn't meet the criteria for any status level before the cutoff date.

Since SNA's weren't part of the MR benefits, LTP and P were basically the same. With the exception of an unadvertised PP level that represented a very small portion of the membership base, both annual and lifetime status were close to the top of the upgrade pool. Since the merger, suite upgrades, which were common at Marriott at least in some parts of the world, were explicitly added to the program description. Whether the suite upgrade language was added due to the merger or Hilton's decision to incorporate similar language, I am glad it is current policy.

If 750 night MR members had been given the same status as 500 night members, they would be behind those PP+ A, PP members, and those P members who were using SNA's in the upgrade pool. Knowing that suite upgrades are part of the upgrade pool is of little use if you are so far down the list that you don't get them.

Although the extra points from PP are nice, I appreciate United Silver more. Although United Silver has been a benefit of P status for many years, like any aspect of a Loyalty program it could disappear at any time.

The things I believe are going away from the MR side are attractively priced travel packages, status maintenance based on the last three years, soft landings, rollover nights and the ability to earn 3 points per dollar and 10 elite nights for each group booking. I am not defending using low cost meetings for status or the precise way that rollover nights added to LT status, but I wish they had continued in some form.

I am glad that the breakfast benefit has expanded and RC's are starting to offer suites to PP and above. Although I appreciate the addition of Luxury Collection and St. Regis hotels, others whose travel plans differ will obviously have a different perspective on the value of more higher end hotels as part of the package. I have been Platinum on the MR and SPG side and I believe I understand the positive and negative aspects of the merger, but I am happy to be enlightened by those who know more about the old and new progarms.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 1, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
i just wont ever be able to qualify. makes perfect sense.
"I didn't meet the criteria, so I don't get it" - yes, seems to make perfect sense.

Originally Posted by rny321
If SPG had simply added a 750 night Platinum level a while back that would have converted to LTPP, the perception of unfairness would have been reduced.
Which they changed. Why do so many people keep bringing this up?

"They made a mistake and fixed it, but I'm going to hold it against them forever as if I was actually impacted, even through I wasn't"?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
"I didn't meet the criteria, so I don't get it" - yes, seems to make perfect sense.

Which they changed. Why do so many people keep bringing this up?

"They made a mistake and fixed it, but I'm going to hold it against them forever as if I was actually impacted, even through I wasn't"?
Making a mistake and correcting it isn't the issue. If they had simply added a higher tier on the SPG side to match the one on the MR side, the issue would have mostly gone away. The problem is the criteria for LTPP has changed more than once and each iteration creates the impression that others might be covered in the next one. Allowing combined nights and years of status meant some who would not have been old LTP this year under SPG rules qualified for LTPP under the combined program. Once that was allowed, some MR members wanted the chance to combine nights and not points. Now we have a new topic where someone feels aggrieved because nights and points can't be be combined. Someone else is complaining about the inability to qualify even though he or she didn't have 10 years of Platinum status. We have gone from what might have been a relatively small group of MR and SPG members who would have qualified based on uncombined totals to an increasingly large pool of members, which makes those who are not able to qualify for LTPP lower on the upgrade list than they might have been with more restrictive qualifying criteria.

At the end of this year, I will have well over 2MM MR points and roughly 700 MR nights. If nights can be combined, I am way over 750 nights. Although the Lurker William posted in June that 750 combined nights and 2MM uncombined points qualify for LTPP, there is at least one blogger who claims to have been told subsequently by MPG management that only MR nights count.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 1, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
To some, it does.
The ones who think it makes sense are irrelevant. The point of a loyalty program is to inspire loyalty. If the loyalty program is ticking off members - especially the most lucrative ones - then there is a problem.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I WILL meet the criteria of the program that was opened up in the spirit of 'fairness' then arbitrarily closed for additional admission after a single year cut off time. And remember, I COULD have qualified this year, like the OP, if marriot used the same guidelines as they had for marriot members in terms of nights and points.

So yeah, I dont get it, I didnt meet the rules, so i dont qualify - i just dont understand that. because thats exactly what I and the OP mean. *sarcasm* We arent at all frustrated by the fact that the rules werent written in a way that gave spg members the same opportunities that marriot members had *more sarcasm* because it's not like a bunch of people on the spg side didnt raise holy hell about not getting ANY crack at LTPP, and got marriot to reconsider on the matter. *enough sarcasm* it just so happens that me and the OP are a much smaller pool of members who are getting stiffed by the rules.

Last edited by stant; Dec 2, 2018 at 12:49 am
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Initially, I was told that the cutoff date was in April of this year. Like other things, the last date to qualify did also. I thought it was proper to give those with 750 SPG nights and 10 years of status, even though I would not have met that standard. I agree that there should have been more notice before closing the opportunity to earn LTPP. I have earned 2MM+ MR Points and 2MM+ SPG points. By early 2019, I expected to have 750+ MR nights. By shifting stays around I could have completed 10 combined years of Platinum equivalent status in 2019. So, under every current or proposed way to earn LTPP, I could have made it

As I mentioned earlier, I am not certain that I will end up as LTPP with >750 combined nights and >2MM MR points. Since I value United Silver more than many on FT, I will miss out on more than some posters realize if I remain at LTP. My biggest complaint isn't that I may miss a final opportunity to achieve LTPP, but the changing criteria and the lack of definitive answers about what qualifies. William is a fantastic representative and I appreciate the time he has spent responding to both reasonable and unreasonable questions, but a Lurker should be a supplement and not a substitute for direct information from MPG.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

The assumption is that the OP is a lucrative member. Based purely on their self assessment.

If if they truly are that lucrative from Marriott’s perspective then I’m confident the member will be well taken care by Marriott. Their history of soft landings and the old PP invite only level for the top guests suggests they clearly have a team and process dedicated to making profitable members feel valued.

The issue is self-identification of “lucrative” members. You know, like all the SPG elites who argue about how their spend exceeds Marriott elites and then scream because a $$ qualification was added to Ambassador level and how they now won’t re-qualify for 2020. As to those who spend is primarily in non-US and therefore disadvantaged, the likelihood of regional nominations as exceptions is possible and likely where profits exceed Marriott benchmarks.

If you are that lucrative then Marriott will be wise to take care of you as a guest and loyalty program member. Proclaiming your lucrativeness on FT doesn’t make it so. It just qualifies you for DYKWIA status.
DJ_Iceman, bhrubin, rny321 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.