Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boycott Paid Stays Until CS & IT issues Fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott Paid Stays Until CS & IT issues Fixed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by manually
Anyone noticing that their stays are talking longer to post? Usually posted by the 5 day after checkout, but I am at 8 days now.
Mine are pretty consistently 2-3 days after. There is 1 exception and that didn't post at all.. so after 10 days, I submitted a missing stay request (which I am still waiting on).

I am seeing no difference in speed between L-MR and L-SPG properties. The one that didn't post was a Legacy Marriott property.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I find it interesting people complain about Marriott but won't take actual action. But when I suggest it is time to take action and move on I get attacked personally. But people flip out if aircon not cold enough, or chips empty in a club lounge. ...
SHLTP,

Perhaps I missed something in this thread, but I did not read anything that I would consider a personal attack. This is a discussion forum, and there's been discussion here — including some counterpoints to your points.

Effective boycotts typically involve a large number of participants seeking a specific action by the company or the organization being boycotted. I don't see a formal boycott by readers of this FlyerTalk thread — a tiny, tiny percentage of all Marriott guests — as an effective way to change anything.

For the changes in August 2018, Marriott's website, mobile app, and the systems behind them were not as well designed, tested, and implemented as they should have been. That's caused varying degrees of grief for Marriott guests. There are undoubtedly some former Marriott guests who are staying elsewhere, and I would imagine there are some unhappy hotel owners. None of this is due to a formal boycott.

Marriott has been fixing problems. Everything now seems to work for me, except the I can't see a future Westin reservation in my reservation list; I can only see it by entering the confirmation number. The system is unavailable more often than reasonable. Also, my birthday Elite night from July still hasn't posted. I realize others are still experiencing bigger problems. And there still more Starwood legacy chains to move onto Marriott's platform, which could cause some new problems.

I'm not boycotting Marriott.
Newman and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Horace; Oct 31, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SHLTP
We are all complaining a lot about Marriott customer service and IT issues. But Marriott clearly doesn't care about our complaints. Clearly.

And our complaints are falling on deaf ears.

I have had it as I have written repeatedly. Today for example I got an email saying I cancelled my suite night requests... This was after hours of trying to apply them in the first place bouncing between APP, website & CS agent! Now I have to start process all over. I have called CS on 2 continents this past week, emailed over 10 times to fix issues that should not be issues. None of the issues are resolved. I still can't see all my upcoming reservations, and can't book properties half the time.

Quite clearly Marriott thinks all is well with integration except for us at the fringe.

Let's vote with our wallets until IT and CS issues addressed. Perhaps only then will that pressure Wall Street and real estate owners to push corporate. Being loyal meant ease of life, extraordinary service and nice benefits, I am not getting this so why bother with Marriott?

​​

1) if you have achieved lifetime status, you stop booking Marriott paid stays unless forced

2) for non lifetimes, stay at Marriott until you requalify for plat and then stop booking paid stays for that qualifying year

We have to remember for all the rhetoric that Marriott considers property owners, not us, its clients. My guess is Marriott will realize/ think the costs of maintaining a loyalty program at the high end is too high and will start keeping the current terrible service and rollback benefits.

If their profits keep coming in, who cares about the truly loyal consumers and our problems? The only way Marriott seems to think is on revenue, profits, etc.

Anyone else with me?
First thing... it bothers me a bit that CS centers are based around the world now. I don't ever recall speaking to a CSR that wasn't domestic when calling Marriott Rewards or Reservations. This must be fairly new, and it scares me to think that MR is sacrificing US based CS for cheaper foreign based CS, especially during a transition with merged programs. That is penny-wise / pound-foolish.... and results in situations like the one stated above.

Second, I have had some challenges with award reservations disappearing from my account and reappearing after I call in... nothing dramatic, but surely an indication of IT issues.

I stayed 150 nights this year, but won't book any more until necessary or required. I have not been impressed with the merger thus far (concierge food downgrades, overall service downgrades, room cleanliness at some of the mid to high tier hotels has diminished noticeably).

Enough said.... let's see what happens.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:21 pm

As I've noted over the years, when I worked in hotels we never considered individual travelers to be our most important clients. At you, an individual can provide 365 room nights in a year. In contrast, local corporate clients can be responsible for thousands or tens-of-thousands of rooms nights every year.

Our most valuable clients were the people who negotiate local contracts.

For a boycott to be effective, it must be made by someone representing more than 365 room nights. Even if every FlyerTalk member banded together (which won't happen), that's probably not enough people to make Marriott do anything more than they are doing now.

In my view, the only way an individual could make a difference is if they convince a major franchise owner to take up the cause. If you're a repeat guest (meaning 100+ room nights each year) at a specific hotel, tell the General Manager of that property that you are boycotting. That move might made a difference.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
Any OP who starts with an assumption about "we" loses a lot of credibility.

There are threads like this every time there is difficult change. UA did not go under. DL did not go under. AA did not go under. Marriott won;t. either.

Right now Marriott is spending its time negotiating lucrative corporate contracts for 2019. If those deals fall apart, there will be change. Everything else is background noise. No different than that created by Dr. Dao who affected UA for about 3 days.
I don't think anyone expects Marriott to "go under" BUT if people choose to boycott as an expression of their frustration it may make (albeit perhaps a small) difference in the bottom line)
OTOH if enough people who work for corporations and/or their employees ask to book away then it may have a real effect. Marriott is a for (mucho) profit enterprise - so the only thing IMO that will really influence them is the loss/decrease in corporate contracts. I get it. My dollars and 1000 nights don't matter - but if enough of us leave that could be a blip on their radar.
I know it makes me feel better to spend my money where I am treated well AND am not "peripheral noise" (a really unfortunate choice of public statement from a CEO).
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Unfortunately boycotting here is tough because hotel ADR and occupancy is the highest it’s been in 25+ years. We’re this 2009 and loyalty disapproval would be front and center of every investor call. If you want to try and get their attention now, your best bet is to get with your corporate travel folks and at least convince them to ink a deal with Hyatt or Hilton or whomever. If a few of you guys get your large employers to start influencing some change there then you might get their attention.

While I have some gripes with how they rolled this out. For example I’m still bitter that while in 2017 I had over 75 nights between Marriott and SPG I’m just regular platinum as I only had 60 ish with SPG and at the time your24 was the only real advantage whereas for 2018 you get an extra 25% points so that’s a lot of points I missed out on. I’m over 75 for 2018 now but I haven’t merged accounts yet so still just regular platinum. I’ve got other gripes like MAGC seeming to hardly show this year and unless I missed a tweak in the TC’s most of my award stays don’t show my plat welcome bonus either. In any event, I’m not going out of my way to NOT book a SPG/Marriott hotel right now but if there is a slightly convenient Hyatt, IC, or FS, I am booking those a bit more right now.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by estnet
I know it makes me feel better to spend my money where I am treated well AND am not "peripheral noise".
Then you should stay elsewhere that you think fits your needs - aka, "walk your talk" (as should the OP). I think anyone, in any industry, should do that if they're unhappy & that's not specific to MAR.

Where you walk to may continue to meet your needs or that chain may also change, but you always have option of changing again. The OP's idea of 'boycotting' sounds good on paper but won't really make a difference to MAR for reasons stated above. And for everyone who leaves, there are new people traveling that will fill the gap.

It would take the corporate clients (aka, the big ones, not small ones) boycotting to make MAR throw more $$/people to get IT sorted sooner. My guess (and it's only that) is that the corporate clients aren't really feeling the pain of the individual travelers, whether that be their own or just in general. Corp clients are more worried about hitting negotiated targets for their rates.

Since you're moving to different chains estnet, obviously you won't be posting in this forum very much so good luck to you w/ your new hotels/chains.

Cheers.
Newman and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by estnet
I don't think anyone expects Marriott to "go under" BUT if people choose to boycott as an expression of their frustration it may make (albeit perhaps a small) difference in the bottom line)
OTOH if enough people who work for corporations and/or their employees ask to book away then it may have a real effect. Marriott is a for (mucho) profit enterprise - so the only thing IMO that will really influence them is the loss/decrease in corporate contracts. I get it. My dollars and 1000 nights don't matter - but if enough of us leave that could be a blip on their radar.
I know it makes me feel better to spend my money where I am treated well AND am not "peripheral noise" (a really unfortunate choice of public statement from a CEO).
didnt notice this until after I posted my last comment but yes this. Hotels have given up less and less the last few years on negotiated rates/benefits and I’ve heard from a few folks that Marriott is giving away even less this year because times are good and they know they have a very attractive footprint now, so now is the time to comvince your travel Dept to consider/demand alternatives. Obviously, if you can show a cost/benefit it will get better traction than just complaining about IT unless the corporate masses concur.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just as a FYI, I am certainly not intending to rally the FTers to cooperate with me as a stand alone plan nor just a few talks with senior HQ execs which I have done. But, I have/ am speaking with Marriott's largest shareholders as well as property holders of key properties and wanting to use data from loyalty members boycotting/ frustrated to buttress my argument that they need to fix the IT and CS issues now and potentially change management.

It is only investors and property owners that can push frankly because Marriott is full and making money. I just had dinner with owner of several category 7 about to become category 8 prime properties and explained my issue. This impact can be big because the owner and I are thinking about do a big project together that could have Marriott involved... if they lose support of people like my friend then that is where the issue for Arne comes
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Then you should stay elsewhere that you think fits your needs - aka, "walk your talk" (as should the OP). I think anyone, in any industry, should do that if they're unhappy & that's not specific to MAR.

Where you walk to may continue to meet your needs or that chain may also change, but you always have option of changing again. The OP's idea of 'boycotting' sounds good on paper but won't really make a difference to MAR for reasons stated above. And for everyone who leaves, there are new people traveling that will fill the gap.

It would take the corporate clients (aka, the big ones, not small ones) boycotting to make MAR throw more $$/people to get IT sorted sooner. My guess (and it's only that) is that the corporate clients aren't really feeling the pain of the individual travelers, whether that be their own or just in general. Corp clients are more worried about hitting negotiated targets for their rates.

Since you're moving to different chains estnet, obviously you won't be posting in this forum very much so good luck to you w/ your new hotels/chains.

Cheers.
Totally agree that they won't miss me - but freedom from chains has shown me some amazing things I had forgotten about. Still have lots of award nights to redeem so won't be entirely leaving yet and may see some more suites (for "free") but I've also found that at least where I stay I can often purchase my "free" benefits - suite, breakfast, etc in a non chain hotel for less than the cost of booking at the chains and hoping for an upgrade.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by jjmoore
First thing... it bothers me a bit that CS centers are based around the world now. I don't ever recall speaking to a CSR that wasn't domestic when calling Marriott Rewards or Reservations. This must be fairly new, and it scares me to think that MR is sacrificing US based CS for cheaper foreign based CS, especially during a transition with merged programs. That is penny-wise / pound-foolish.....
There is an irony here. I believe I can speak for most non-Americans when I say that I’d really like a customer service team in my region of the world rather than having to call an international number just to update a booking for the hotel next door - but there have been a number of complaints that it’s now US-only.
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

There is an irony here. I believe I can speak for most non-Americans when I say that I’d really like a customer service team in my region of the world rather than having to call an international number just to update a booking for the hotel next door - but there have been a number of complaints that it’s now US-only.
+ 1 million. Yah exactly! But then again Starwood had a more global way of looking at things, hence a more diversified group of loyal customers.

To the OP, Starwood had CS from Singapore to China to India to Ireland to Italy to Canada. And THAT was fantastic for us global folks. Having to speak to only a US agent would in fact bother me.
EuropeanPete, KRSW and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:55 pm

No need to actively boycott. I couldn't log into Marriott.com yesterday. Now all I'm getting today is this:

So... I just went over to Hyatt.com and booked next week's stays on there. Took me less than 5 minutes. FAR less than it would if I played the waiting game with Marriott's 800#.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:00 pm

Same here, logins are not working for me and looking at their twitter feed, things are bad....
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Total Conspiracy Theory here, but maybe MR went to the SPG database pre-merger and did a query for "SPG members with the most complaints" and put a flag on their accounts?

I mean, if I'd never found FT I'd've never known anything was ever wrong with the MR website- even the "we're having trouble finding some of your reservations pre-8/18" isn't true for me, anyway. Bookings, cancellations, stay postings, SNAs, all working- only the "Mega"bonus isn't apparently posting, and I think that's 'cause it's one of those years where everything gets lump-summed at the end of the promo.

... but as I'd said in another thread, if anyone with Plat status wants to leave, by all means do so- reduce the number of Plats looking for upgrades by all means!
Newman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.