Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boycott Paid Stays Until CS & IT issues Fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott Paid Stays Until CS & IT issues Fixed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, IC Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
I stopped and will be going back to Hyatt and trying out Hilton. Was legacy SPG and and had made platinum but 17 of my nights disappeared (actually they were there in my lifetime nights and then 3 days later were not). Had a stay that I spent 3 hours trying to get credited only to give up, called in multiple times and had agents flat out tell me the system is down and they can't do any thing. I spent 320 nights here in the last 5 years (mostly spg) and am done. My platinum years have been reduced from 6 to 3 for some reason reservations have been lost, points stays deducted twice and every time I call in an agent is unable to help me. Probably short 100k points, missing 17 elite nights from this year and to top it off my lifetime gold status is basically worthless (not even a 4pm checkout).

The real insult is that I used to split nights with Hyatt but focused on spg solely last year due to reduced travel. Made the wrong choice, but will spend some time with low status versus the train wreck this has become.

i get there are issues, but no one is even interested in helping me try and address one, agents literally tell me they believe me but need me to create a detailed record of my 350 stays and send it to the so they can maybe get someone to look into it.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:18 pm

I have no need to try to boycott Marriott properties -- their website often won't let me book them to begin with! Not to mention that you still can't sort by price. Go ahead and try to find a hotel in the NYC metro with the current site.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Not going to boycott MR either. But this time around, I'm not going to go out of my way to stay at an MR property simply because I'm part of their loyalty program.

If it's convenient, good price, and location is Good, then yes I'll stay. But if it is not then I won't stay.

Used to stay at an SPG property no matter what pre 8/18 because the property treatment was great. But lately it's a hit or miss, more "miss" though. Maybe because I'm now just a dime a dozen and it feels properties dont give a damn any longer.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by supatight80
Used to stay at an SPG property no matter what pre 8/18 because the property treatment was great. But lately it's a hit or miss, more "miss" though. Maybe because I'm now just a dime a dozen and it feels properties dont give a damn any longer.
What are those "misses" and how was it a miss?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I'm having a hard time believing that Marriott's only incentive to improve their website will come when there's a "boycott". I'm sure they are less happy with their glitches than we are.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I am not boycotting Marriott but they have been boycotting themselves in a few instances. For example, I tried to book a hotel on points, but IT won't allow me to do it myself online. I tried to call my ambassador off-hours (during weekend), phone line was not working so I could not be transferred to another ambassador to make the points redemption booking right away. Then comes Monday, my ambassador responds to my e-mail and informed me that points redemptions are no longer available for my dates. Despite pointing out that if points booking could have been made online myself (rather than having to ask an ambassador), or if the phone had been working, then I would not have an issue... end result is simply sorry, can't help. So I booked at another hotel chain. I did not want to boycott them but honestly I will book somewhere else if there are too many hurdles.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by KRSW
I have no need to try to boycott Marriott properties -- their website often won't let me book them to begin with! Go ahead and try to find a hotel in the NYC metro with the current site.
Slight side track:

Ok, I just tried. Picked a date next week & 52 properties in NYC showed up. What am I missing? Note to others - you definitely don't want to be in Manhattan next week. All properties were big bucks even for Manhattan. Wonder what's going on, given UN, NYC Fashion Week, etc, are over.

Back on topic:

No I don't intend to boycott, although I understand others "walking their talk", and encourage them to do so if they feel that strongly about it. I've not had as many problems as others wrt IT & am willing to wait until end of year for some of it to be sorted.

Cheers
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
While I'm not boycotting marriott, (passed pltp amb earlier) I start book alternative hotel for these few months.

Although in some trip I still end up going to Marwood hotels due to other chains dont have comparable hotel nearby.

Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Slight side track:

Ok, I just tried. Picked a date next week & 52 properties in NYC showed up. What am I missing? Note to others - you definitely don't want to be in Manhattan next week. All properties were big bucks even for Manhattan. Wonder what's going on, given UN, NYC Fashion Week, etc, are over.

Back on topic:

No I don't intend to boycott, although I understand others "walking their talk", and encourage them to do so if they feel that strongly about it. I've not had as many problems as others wrt IT & am willing to wait until end of year for some of it to be sorted.

Cheers
i book Manhattan hotels frequently though usually in same area (Soho/Tribeca). Hotels in the city are ALWAYS pricey.
Could it be easier. Yes.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Boycott all MaRiot legacy brands. Stay at legacy spg hotels when you want to. Who's with me?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by remymartin
Boycott all MaRiot legacy brands. Stay at legacy spg hotels when you want to. Who's with me?
I have to admit, I really don't see how that makes any sense. I'll rarely stay at Marriotts because there are very few properties on their side which are interesting to me, but if anything it's the SPG hotels which are currently suffering most from the poor integration. Hopefully come December when the system is rolled out in-hotel the problems will at least be limited to use of Marriott.com and our member profiles.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I have to admit, I really don't see how that makes any sense. I'll rarely stay at Marriotts because there are very few properties on their side which are interesting to me, but if anything it's the SPG hotels which are currently suffering most from the poor integration. Hopefully come December when the system is rolled out in-hotel the problems will at least be limited to use of Marriott.com and our member profiles.
For the past 3 years I've collected the 11 brands. Until the end of this year, only stays at these brands tally the stay calculation. The programme name is still "spg". I've never signed up for a MaRiot account and have zero desire to stay in their hotels.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Which BRG program do you recommend? Also, which other chains will give Plat benefits (free breakfast and suite upgrades) even though I don’t have Plat status?

I have LT status, but I’m kind of stuck here, so I’ll just continue to be vocal about Marriott’s sub-standard IT and maybe some day, they’ll get around to hiring competent people to fix it.

I support your cause, but I can’t join you. Sorry.

I have never done a BRG so can't advise there. The free breakfasts and suite upgrades are great. But I am not booking hotel rooms just for this (nice and big part of course esp in Asia) but the time suck and frustration I am facing just is not worth the freebies.

​​​​​​I'd rather pay for a suite and breakfast at a chain that I can find the property on an app, actually make the reservations and not have to call multiple CS agents and email even more for basic things to ensure pre and post stay works smoothly.

I called 3 countries, two properties and wrote 5 emails just to try to book a room in Japan. I searched on app, website on Pc, websote on Mac all to make a booking. 3 months ago of would've been a 5 minute tine suck at most.

​​​My time is worth more to me than this which is why I,booked directly ratjer than having am empmoyee do.

I love booking on app on 30 secods and knowing when I arroved at property I'd get great treatment. Time savings combined will rexonigtion is what drew me to SPG.

Now I am booking at smaller chains like Shangri-la, Mandarin Oriental, and apartments/ inependents owned by friends. Mixing on conrads. Quite nice.

As mentioed I don't like Hyatt even though used to invest in them.

I will pay for breakfast and a suite if needed.

But this thread just shows how Marriott can literally do nothing or screw everuthing up and people will keep staying.

Time to buy Marriott stock?

For me, time to walk my talk.
​​​
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
As I've already posted I'm gone - after 3 hours trying to book online and with hotel front desk I was able to book an alternate online in 5 minutes. Was it a chain hotel - no, did it cost me less to replace the "lost" benefits of LTPP by buying the bennies myself -YES

There may be places where there aren't a lot of alternatives - but in SE Asia and lots of cities in Europe it is truly amazing how much more value I can get WITHOUT my "benefits" and have a nicer and more interesting stay.

They won't miss me and I certainly won't miss them (well, except for some amazing staff I have become friends with over the years). I'm so over spending my time (which is worth more to me than 0!) trying to stay with hotels which make it impossible to book, expect me to wait 2 hours online (with my "special" phone line) to get told "we can't help you"
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Let’s see...since Aug 18:

(1) I’m at the StR Bal Harbour now for 5 nights on points, where I was upgraded to the Royal Suite. Despite my SNAs not clearing.

(2) I just completed an award stay for 5 nights at the Courtyard Irvine John Wayne to pick up legacy Marriott nights towards LTPP status, where I was upgraded to a king suite. The team was very nice and friendly.

(3) Last weekend I was at the SLS Beverly Hills for 4 nights paid entry level room, where I was upgraded to the SLS Suite. I had a fabulous stay.

(4) Only a few weeks ago, I was at the StR Florence for 5 nights on points, where I was upgraded to their Arno View Junior Suite—best in house despite being sold out for a conference. I had a fabulous stay. I also was at the La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza for 3 nights paid and points and had a fabulous stay. I also was at the Atlantis by Giardino Zürich for 2 nights and had a nice stay.

(5) Labor Day weekend, I had a 3 night award stay at the StR San Francisco, where I was upgraded to my usual Metropolitan Suite. I had a fabulous stay. That was my first post-Aug 18 stay.

Why would I want to boycott Marriott again?

Because I’ve had a few delays with points refunds and the IT hasn’t been as smooth as I’d like after a massive merger? Because I’ve had trouble applying SNAs, something that happened in the legacy SPG days, too? Nope, my Ambassador has managed to smooth out all of those issues for me.

Because a lot of former Marriott and even former SPG speculators are having difficulty getting award stays at massive points discounts at some of the most aspirational legacy SPG luxury hotels that never had many entry level award rooms to begin with? Because those same speculators now are desperate to blame Marriott and Marriott IT for their disappointment rather than admit their sudden entitlement?

I know Marriott has made some big mistakes. I know Marriott has a lot of work to do to improve its IT. But I also know some people just can’t handle the change...or the reality that change can be a bit painful. I also know that life with Hilton is far worse and life with Hyatt means I’ll too often not have any hotel option at all.

I can be a little patient, and I have an incredible Ambassador to help me in the meantime.

I think I’ll stick with Marriott. They got IT problems, but my hotel stays still have been fantastic. My hotels still upgrade me—even those at which I’ve never stayed before. My Ambassador status still means that I am treated extremely well....even by a Courtyard. And my Ambassador rocks.
kennycrudup and Newman like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 31, 2018 at 3:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.