Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Upgrades General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:09 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Coming from the SPG side, I stayed at the Ritz Osaka (or any Ritz) for the first time last month. I told my ambassador that its my first time staying in the Ritz so I'll keep an open mind comparing it to the how I get treated with SPG's St Regis. Ambassador put in the notes and stuff (and probably did some behind the scene work).

I didn't get an upgrade to a suite. I did get a room in a higher floor. Maybe that room has a better view. I did ask for a day-pass to the lounge to see if it's worth the extra about $80/day but was rejected. Manager did leave a nice note in my room and I did get a plate of decent strawberries refreshed daily.

St Regis Osaka gave me a free breakfast, lounge in addition to a higher floor and (it seems) a slightly better room and view.
jaejaez likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Coming from the SPG side, I stayed at the Ritz Osaka (or any Ritz) for the first time last month. I told my ambassador that its my first time staying in the Ritz so I'll keep an open mind comparing it to the how I get treated with SPG's St Regis. Ambassador put in the notes and stuff (and probably did some behind the scene work).

I didn't get an upgrade to a suite. I did get a room in a higher floor. Maybe that room has a better view. I did ask for a day-pass to the lounge to see if it's worth the extra about $80/day but was rejected. Manager did leave a nice note in my room and I did get a plate of decent strawberries refreshed daily.

St Regis Osaka gave me a free breakfast, lounge in addition to a higher floor and (it seems) a slightly better room and view.
There’s a lounge at the StR?
rny321 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Pardon me if this is already being discussed elsewhere (couldn’t search it), but a question for Titanium (and above) elites:Do Ritz Carltons actually proactively upgrade you to suites? Or do you guys fight for it? What are your batting rates so far? Do Ritz Carlton FDAs even know of Marriott rules to allow Titaniums to be upgraded to available suites?I ask because I have a decent shot at going for Titanium this year (I’ve been plat for many) if I felt the value was really there. For me, aside from the extra points that Titaniums earn, the probability of being upgraded to suites at Ritz Carltons is probably the only real value I see… (I do stay at Ritz Carltons occasionally) but I fear that the upgrades don’t happen often enough (if at all), either through hotels bending the rules and/or the check-in agents not even knowing about program rules regarding Titanium benefits.

Thanks in advance!
During our most recent trip, we were upgraded from a standard room to a huge suite at the Georgetown Ritz Carlton. I contacted the hotel prior to arrival about something else and asked about an upgrade. The answer was a standard "based on availability" So did I need to fight for it? I don't know.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Some
The best answer is probably 'it varies' based on region, occupancy and also the policies of the individual hotel. Two RC stays in the last month - RC Doha was upgraded from Club Room to Executive Suite (with an 8am check in time), RC Langkawi was upgraded from a standard room to a villa (which is equivalent to getting a suite upgrade).
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Ritz Sarasota - bizarre

Recent stay at Ritz Sarasota was bizarre. Emailed beforehand, they said no suites available during my stay so sorry, etc. I also called in and the woman said they only do upgrades to a better view. After all that, when I checked in and just asked, we were out in a 1 bedroom suite for the stay. Since we had our toddlers with us, this “made” our stay.

Last year at Ritz Dove Mountain, we were upgraded in advance to a beautiful 1 bedroom.

At Ritz Kyoto, we were not upgraded to a suite but did receive a large, beautiful deluxe room (bigger than what most hotels call a junior suite) with a view, and also comped full breakfast.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
My normal travel pattern includes at lot of RCs, but the last year has been an anomaly. My only data point in the new program so far is a one night stay at RC Philly. No upgrade beyond a better view.

I’ve been upgraded to a lot of suites at RC in the prior program as a PE/PPE. The common thread in those instances was being a repeat guest of the property.

I suspect that Titanium and Ambassador upgrades at RCs will remain challenging to get unless Marriott really pushes the issue with them.

Honestly I would just be happy if I could use my SNAs there.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:16 am

Thanks to all who chimed in! Based on these alone, it seems that proactive upgrades are hard to come by as Titaniums in Ritz Carltons - sounds like it's probably not worth it for me to push for those extra nights for now....
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:08 pm

Upgrades at the Ritz

I know that this topic has come up within multiple threads, but I thought that I would start a separate thread. I was very glad to see before arriving at the hotel that I had received a Titanium upgrade to a Suite at the Hong Kong Ritz:

I was also very pleased to see that this was a Club level room, so I thought that we might get access to the Club Lounge. I was more pleased when I looked at the description online for the Deluxe Victoria Harbour Suite, which stated:

24-HOUR CLUB LOUNGE ACCESS

We were then told at the Lounge that we were not entitled to Lounge access! The manager said that we had been upgraded to a suite, but the upgrade did not include the Lounge. This seems pretty contradictory, since it clearly states online that one amenity of the Suite is Lounge access. Having come from the Starwood system, this is particularly bizarre. It would be equivalent to being told that we received an upgrade at the St. Regis to an Astor Suite, but the butler service was not included.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The program rules say that no elite is entitled to lounge access at RCs (unless a club room is a reserved and the rate includes use of the club lounge).

Enjoy your suite, but don't expect lounge access. However, if you ask, the hotel should permit you to pay the surcharge to enable lounge use.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
There is a thread about Ritz upgrades.

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The program rules say that no elite is entitled to lounge access at RCs (unless a club room is a reserved and the rate includes use of the club lounge).
Unless the property elects to upgrade the guest to club access, which it is certainly able to do, and which OP could reasonably have expected here based on the verbiage in his updated reservation.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
So what do people suggest as the strategy? I'm a Titanium with a regular room booked at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay July 24-27. App check-in doesn't seem to be working. so I can't use the chat feature to ask in advance to put in a request for a suite upgrade. Do I just ask at check-in? If agent doesn't offer (either proactively or in response to my specific request), do folks tend to push it? (I am speculating, but given Covid situation, I would be surprised if all suites at this property are booked this weekend, so a statement at check-in that there are no suites available might elicit some skepticism.)
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by st530
So what do people suggest as the strategy? I'm a Titanium with a regular room booked at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay July 24-27. App check-in doesn't seem to be working. so I can't use the chat feature to ask in advance to put in a request for a suite upgrade. Do I just ask at check-in? If agent doesn't offer (either proactively or in response to my specific request), do folks tend to push it? (I am speculating, but given Covid situation, I would be surprised if all suites at this property are booked this weekend, so a statement at check-in that there are no suites available might elicit some skepticism.)
It is the weekend so suites can be full. Having said that an email to the property asking if they can preblock you into a suite wouldn’t hurt. I would actually ask for one of the fire pit rooms instead of a suite unless you need the space.
st530 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by st530
(I am speculating, but given Covid situation, I would be surprised if all suites at this property are booked this weekend, so a statement at check-in that there are no suites available might elicit some skepticism.)
I wouldn't be surprised if they're sold out. With international travel basically blocked, many of the destination properties in California are currently booking full, especially on weekends.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't be surprised if they're sold out. With international travel basically blocked, many of the destination properties in California are currently booking full, especially on weekends.
Thanks. We shall see. Given that the club lounge and restaurants are closed, and the pool and sauna are limited (thought they're apparently still charging the $50/night destination fee), this doesn't seem like a terribly good time for a stay-cation, but maybe the lack of other options makes that largely irrelevant right now.

I was finally able to get app check-in to work and requested a notation be added for a suite upgrade if available, which was acknowledged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.