Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Upgrades General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton Upgrades General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:03 am

Just stayed two nights at the Ritz Carlton Kyoto. We had two rooms for two nights.

A few things to note:
2 Kids under 12 can stay no problem for free. We had 2 kids in the room.
The King bed is absolutely MASSIVE. They call it a Super King... but it seems to be two double beds beside each other. In fact, i'm sure you can put 3 adults + a child or two... must be at least 250cm wide. I think it might be two JP doubles put together... so 2.8m wide.

Plenty of others in Japan expect to bring their kids and sleep all in one room anyhow, so it's common. We saw other a few kids while we were there, but being mid-week... not many as they're still in school. The 3/room really means 3 adults in one MASSIVE bed (likely the 3rd being a teenager or parent, for example)

We were upgraded to a river facing room on the 2nd floor. 3rd floor doesn't have a balcony you can sit on. 4th does, but I think those may be the suites.

They will NOT upgrade you to a suite if you're platinum. Only titanium will be considered for a suite upgrade and even then they may not. The hotel was barely half-full (COVID and low season is summer) and the suites were most definitely not occupied when we stayed mid-week... and we were told that we were upgraded to the best room available to platinum members.

If you're looking for a Japanese experience, this is not the hotel for you. It's beautiful but it's very much a well-heeled business traveller's business hotel. I have stayed at nicer (in my opinion) Ryokans at much lower prices. That being said, at least 50% of the staff speak English if that's important to you. They seem to bring in a lot of interns at this hotel from around the world to fill the English quotient. The guest relations manager is Australian.

This hotel DOES offer breakfast to platinum members, which is a nice perk which we took advantage of. Kids also get a kids version of the meal as well. Our second room didn't include it where the grandparents stayed, but i asked politely if it would be possible as this was our wedding anniversary trip if that could be provided... but don't expect this and don't push it. My wife and in-laws are Japanese, so that may have helped ( or hindered, who knows ).

They gave us breakfast for one night for the 2nd room.

It's a nice breakfast and things CAN get expensive in Kyoto. but ¥6500 yen per person worth it... maybe? If you don't have anything else specific in mind, it may be worth it for that kaiseki experience.
SPN Lifer and Pocatello like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I stayed at couple of RC before and the upgrade rate would be comparable to other luxury brands like LC and StR.
The stingy one always making lame excuses for not giving you upgrade.

RC Mega Kuningan Jakarta somehow never upgrade me even after multiple stays there.
RC Pacific Place Jakarta upgrade me to their executive suite every time.
Mandapa, A Ritz Carlton Reserve did upgrade me to the next villa category even though they don't have to do that based on T&C.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
RC Dove Mountain this week

Booked two queen base room on points, got what I booked but a corner room so a little bit more space.

full review later this week when I have more time
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:34 am

Agreed with the RC being very tight with upgrades for Titaniums. (Never been ambassador) I don't really expect one anymore despite being a returning guest at several RC in the DC area. But the RC Georgetown did cough up a one bedroom suite for two nights this May on a points redemption. It was my first ever RC suite upgrade. So that was nice.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: Accor Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gudugan
RC Dove Mountain this week

Booked two queen base room on points, got what I booked but a corner room so a little bit more space.

full review later this week when I have more time
Stayed there twice last week, both times two rooms on points. First stay got a 2 bedroom suite. Second stay got two firepit rooms. I'm titanium.
gudugan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.