Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The Hawaii, Boston, and San Francisco locals have stated that the properties have offered the same historical pay increases under the existing contract but the union rejects that. They want larger increases and control over innovation. The San Francisco locals have stated they intentionally timed the strike to coincide with large conventions presumably to get leverage.
ask the people who worked for hostess how that worked out for them.
if they were just asking for a raise I wouldnt have much of an opinion on this subject one way or the other, but when the unions want to gain a stranglehold over innovation in a manner that surely will be detrimental to both the bottom line of the business they work for AND the consumer, it makes me wish marriot could give them all pinkslips.
closecover likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
So I was out on Powell street last night and the strikers are still in front of the Westin. I was not able to get a picture, but everyone was quiet. It honestly just looks like one more SF homeless camp like we have in SOMA. You just get numb to seeing it.

Can someone fill me in on the rules of the strike? I am pretty sure the hotels cant fire the workers? But are they allowed to hire replacements? Can they hire non-union replacements? It seems the hotels are doing OK, does anyone at any point just say “to hell with it and go back to work?” What happens to the Union if they cave? Can strikers cross the line?

So many questions.
Strikers cannot be fired. The hotel can hire non-union replacements. Strikers can cross the line but they can be kicked out of the union if they do so. These hotels are "union shops" as opposed to "right to work" shops meaning that when the strike is over, only those who are members of the union can work. Very anti-choice for workers ....

If the union caves, its very complicated ....

We all want people treated and paid fairly but here the union goals are definitely adverse to the goals of guests.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
These hotels are "union shops" as opposed to "right to work" shops meaning that when the strike is over, only those who are members of the union can work.

If the union caves, its very complicated ....
How does a a shop become a “union shop”. Can it become a non-union shop?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

How does a a shop become a “union shop”. Can it become a non-union shop?
In a right to work state, employees cannot be required to join the union as a condition of employment and they must voluntarily make the decision to join.

In other states, employees can be required to be a member of the union as a condition of employment and they must either be a member of be fired.

Not surprisingly, when given a choice, individuals do not join unions. But, the three states where the union is striking properties (California, Hawaii, Massachusetts) are all union states so individuals who cross the picket line will be kicked out of the union and will lose their jobs when the strikes are over. Additionally, they are required to picket for 20 hours a week as a condition of receiving strike pay.

So its a matter of state law. And in states like California, Hawaii, and Massachusetts, the unions make large political contributions in terms of money and people so the law is unlikely to change.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confused...so, if you work as a front line employee in a "union state", you have to join the union and cannot cross the picket line? So, who is doing the work now?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by username
Confused...so, if you work as a front line employee in a "union state", you have to join the union and cannot cross the picket line? So, who is doing the work now?
Temp workers and experienced staff flown in from other locations.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:59 am

This strike has been about a month now? I am assuming strike pay is not equivalent to real pay. I wonder if the workers are starting to regret this decision.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:33 am

I'm sure it wouldn't look good for the union not to make any progress. It's just a bad situation all around. I'm wondering how much the workers are being compensated for striking from the unions. If they are getting paid less, then if they were not cash strapped before, they are now. If they were cash strapped before, a prolonged strike might cause some long term damage to their financial health.

In Hawaii, although the governor and mayor have been supportive of the unions and have vowed not to cross picket lines for events, based on responses on every news article, it doesn't seem like the general population here supports the union much. I don't think throwing money at it will change anything, unskilled labor is unskilled labor, and the issues causing the high costs of living are still not addressed.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I support the right of the workers and unions to strike just as I support the hotel ability to negotiate or not and bring in temporary workers as needed. I hope they can find common ground soon and settle on a contract that makes both sides happy.

That being said, I’m thrilled to have chosen to stay next week at the non-striking RC San Francisco rather than my usual favorite and on-strike StR San Francisco! The room rates at the StR and even Palace and W were just too darn high for my tastes—likely because of the very convention/conference groups that caused the strike timing in the first place. The RC rates were far more reasonable by SF standards.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Oakland Marriott hotel workers reach agreement; SF strike continues

http://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-marriott-hotel-workers-reach-agreement-sf-strike-continues
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:07 pm

St Regis, 20:00

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:09 pm

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:26 pm

Here is the Marquis 20:20

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:30 pm

Its hard to get in the Pictures but the Marquis is a disaster. All of 4th street entrance is barricaded. Mission entrance is barricaded. Taxis in the middle of 4th st. Hotel security and SFPD watching the strikers. Noisy and yelling. There is a barricade down the sidewalk seperating strikers from pedestrians.

They really didnt want me taking their pictures either.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by donotblink

I’m currently staying at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. The Local 5 is absolutely terrorizing Waikiki in a way that would effect you even if you weren’t staying at one of the Starwood properties. They were protesting on the beach again today outside the Moana Surfrider.

Breakfast was fantastic, they had all the normal stuff including an omelettes bar, but are using plastic plates. I had requested one king bed, but they gave me a room with two double beds on a very high floor.

Usually I would ask for one bed, but I’d rather stay on the high floor.
At the end of the day they are shooting themselves in the foot. Too bad someone doesn't publish or post outside the hotels the entire pay package they get. Thats all I will say other than We are looking somewhere else for our holiday trip over this year.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.