Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by stc
And if you don't like the unions, what I suggest you do is stay in a non-union hotel and see if the service is any better.
Like the Venetian/Palazzo in Las Vegas, for instance, which consistently rates quite high in customer service experience. @:-)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:40 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Ok what I would suggest you might do is actually find the President of the Local #2 TOTAL compensation then look up the internationals President's TOTAL package, Union's do a great job of masking total packages. The look at the average income of a Hawaiian then look at the final agreed amount by housekeepers and you tell me.
OK, so the medien income in Hawaii is $87k/yr, average of $75K/yr. Pre-strike the union workers had a medien of $44k/yr. Not sure what your point is???
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Agreement reached in San Francisco
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With housekeepers now getting such high wages, I guess we won't see any more Marriott tip envelopes as tips are no longer necessary at these hotels.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by rbAA
OK, so the medien income in Hawaii is $87k/yr, average of $75K/yr. Pre-strike the union workers had a medien of $44k/yr. Not sure what your point is???

Average Salary in Honolulu, Hawaii

Average Salary

$53,427
How do you compare?

Trends in Wages

-0.8%
in Q2 2018
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With housekeepers now getting such high wages, I guess we won't see any more Marriott tip envelopes as tips are no longer necessary at these hotels.

Frankly your right
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:58 pm

another source

How much money does a person working in Hawaii make?

5,103 USD per month
Average Monthly Salary
A person working in Hawaii typically earns
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Looks like the Marriott strike is ending in SF:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-16427646
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
OK, so the medien income in Hawaii is $87k/yr, average of $75K/yr.
Well - that just isn't true. Your numbers are median household income in Honolulu (and your number is a bit on the high side) It is much less on the other islands. So, if 2 housekeepers live in the same household, they are right about the median household income, pretty good for an unskilled worker.

The people of Oahu would be thrilled if individual median income was anywhere near $87K year.

HUD considers a family of four making $83,700 as "low income"

HUD: $83,700 a year is now considered low-income in Honolulu
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Well - that just isn't true. Your numbers are median household income in Honolulu (and your number is a bit on the high side) It is much less on the other islands. So, if 2 housekeepers live in the same household, they are right about the median household income, pretty good for an unskilled worker.

The people of Oahu would be thrilled if individual median income was anywhere near $87K year.

And the numbers don't take into account overtime, medical plan, pension contributions, etc. which make the fully loaded cost of a housekeeper in Hawaii close to 100k
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:34 pm

You didn't say "Household:" which is a combined average I said and referred to a single person you must be with the unions
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:46 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones

I find it more accurate, as it reflects on whether the striking housekeeper would need to have a second job, instead, having a partner/spouse with income. I never said that it was adequate income for HI, given the high cost of living there. I blame the low quality of the US educational system and the breakdown in the family unit resulting in children not learning to read and reason adequately. Thanks for playing though.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:29 am

I find it more accurate, as it reflects on whether the striking housekeeper would need to have a second job, instead, having a partner/spouse with income. I never said that it was adequate income for HI, given the high cost of living there. I blame the low quality of the US educational system and the breakdown in the family unit resulting in children not learning to read and reason adequately. Thanks for playing though.

OK Moderator let's do a reset
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this thread has run its course. Or it should get moved to PR.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I think this thread has run its course. Or it should get moved to PR.
Yes, I was just thinking to myself that this "discussion" belonged somewhere else, like maybe the Wisconsin Legislature. Or really anywhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.