Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That's very disappointing. I was hoping Kyo-ya would continue to stand up. The fully loaded cost of a housekeeper at Hawaii properties is absurd. That doesn't take into account the cost of work rules. The long run is that hotels will continue to seek to reduce labor costs.

Hello "electronic checkin/out" and more shame on the unions shame
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:29 pm

Found this based on the post above, I think it’s interesting.

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Specifics on the Hawaii deal:

After 51 days on picket lines, striking hotel workers reach tentative deal

"The agreement, which includes a $1.50 hourly wage increase for non-tipped workers in the first year"

"Right now, the starting hourly pay for a housekeeper is about $22 an hour.

Under the deal, sources said, hotel workers would see boosts to their wages, pensions, and child or elder care funds. Collectively, the increases amount to about $6 more an hour in pay and benefits by 2021."
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In these days of insane executive compensation, I do not begrudge these employees a nickel of their compensation package.

I did find the strike tactics, which included intentionally disrupting the lives of thousands of people who had nothing to do with Marriott, deplorable.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

"The agreement, which includes a $1.50 hourly wage increase for non-tipped workers in the first year"

Under the deal, sources said, hotel workers would see boosts to their wages, pensions, and child or elder care funds. Collectively, the increases amount to about $6 more an hour in pay and benefits by 2021."
Originally Posted by Kacee
In these days of insane executive compensation, I do not begrudge these employees a nickel of their compensation package.

I did find the strike tactics, which included intentionally disrupting the lives of thousands of people who had nothing to do with Marriott, deplorable.
I suppose I don't begrudge them but we're all paying for it. And, the union isn't doing anything to promote educate among their members which would allow then to add more value.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suppose I don't begrudge them but we're all paying for it. And, the union isn't doing anything to promote educate among their members which would allow then to add more value.
You think we're not paying for eight figure executive comp packages as well? Where's your outrage over Arne Sorensen's $13 million comp package?

I find it rather depressing that people who are able to pay hundreds of dollars a night for a hotel room, begrudge those who make the beds and clean the toilets an annual salary that is still under $50k per year.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You think we're not paying for eight figure executive comp packages as well? Where's your outrage over Arne Sorensen's $13 million comp package?

I find it rather depressing that people who are able to pay hundreds of dollars a night for a hotel room, begrudge those who make the beds and clean the toilets an annual salary that is still under $50k per year.
Well, I don't begrudge Arne or anyone who negotiates a pay package - if that is what they are willing to pay Arne or anyone else, more power to them. I'm sure my team wouldn't be thrilled with my pay package either, but I'm not exactly taking a cut anytime soon.

And more power to the housekeepers getting the pay package. I don't hold that against them - my personal opinion, for an unskilled position, with pay and benefits, they have it pretty good, just like others up the food chain.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news if this strike is truly over. Now I can cancel my Hilton Hawaiian Village backup reservation and enjoy the Royal Hawaiian next week! Would never have been comfortable crossing a picket line and it’s sad to see so many who begrudge their fellow workers a few more bucks an hour. Finally a win for the little guy!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
by and large, the pay of the CEO (and any upper management) at most major corporations is insignificant. If Arne decided to forgo his compensation next year and give the money to the employees they would take home a whopping ALMOST 4 CENTS an hour extra.

Why? those hundreds of dollars a night come from my hard earned money, money I went to school and built up a business over decades for. And in the context of this discussion, the extra $$$ is going to housekeeping staff that get compensation packages OVER that of the median PhD! If you live in Arizona your family doctor likely makes only about 50% more than housekeeping will after this settlement. If you live in Puerto Rico your doctor might make LESS. Dont just look at salary, you have to consider the benefits too. these staff members get health insurance most Americans would die for (literally).
C17PSGR and TSparky like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by stant
those hundreds of dollars a night come from my hard earned money, money I went to school and built up a business over decades for.
Me too. And I try to have just a little compassion for people who did not enjoy the opportunities and advantages I did, and are instead working hard, menial jobs to support their families.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stant
by and large, the pay of the CEO (and any upper management) at most major corporations is insignificant. If Arne decided to forgo his compensation next year and give the money to the employees they would take home a whopping ALMOST 4 CENTS an hour extra.

Why? those hundreds of dollars a night come from my hard earned money, money I went to school and built up a business over decades for. And in the context of this discussion, the extra $$$ is going to housekeeping staff that get compensation packages OVER that of the median PhD! If you live in Arizona your family doctor likely makes only about 50% more than housekeeping will after this settlement. If you live in Puerto Rico your doctor might make LESS. Dont just look at salary, you have to consider the benefits too. these staff members get health insurance most Americans would die for (literally).
So are you suggesting that we take away these worker's health insurance and reduce their salaries so they make 20% of a family doctor in Arizona? What is your point? Can't you be happy that these people will make a few more bucks and can provide health insurance for their families or you'd prefer to have them uninsured and poor?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

Look - in a tight labor market, the terms of the deal (if accurate) look fair. The issue is that the terms could have likely been achieved without a strike, which seemed to be mainly for show.

To those that are begrudging a labor deal, I'm not sure what you were hoping for - were you expecting the hotels to decrease worker pay? Hotels need to pay market rates, and wages are up. It doesn't matter if the labor is "skilled," "unskilled," requires "education" or not, it is supply and demand, and hotel staff are in demand in a world where people are spending more and more on travel and paying more for experiences.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Me too. And I try to have just a little compassion for people who did not enjoy the opportunities and advantages I did, and are instead working hard, menial jobs to support their families.

There is so much ureteric about the "poor" under advantaged hotel workers and how much the greedy executives make in compensation. "Horse feathers" As a businessman and owner of a construction company union workers I can tell you dollar for dollar the union workers in this country are far better off than they want you to believe. Dollar cost average their TOTAL compensation exceeds the average American worker who does not enjoy the pension plan, the health insurance plans, paid vacation, disability and other regional benefits that most Americans do. Thats how the "Cadillac Plan" term came to be. The unions enjoy the best benefit plans on the earth bar none. And remember there is a huge "costs" of union "fees" that pay a lot of highly paid union officials and one should look at their compensation compare it to your greedy executives then let's talk.

Now do they work or earn it yes for the most part. I am proud of my union workers and they do a great job, but if you look at the cost of goods union built is on average 37% higher. And I have a study to back that one up.

End of the day thank Equity Capital
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
So are you suggesting that we take away these worker's health insurance and reduce their salaries so they make 20% of a family doctor in Arizona? What is your point? Can't you be happy that these people will make a few more bucks and can provide health insurance for their families or you'd prefer to have them uninsured and poor?

I never suggested that. I AM suggesting that anyone who has the gall to work a low skill job and then strike claiming 'one job should be enough' while asking for that level of compensation is 110% full of bull honkey. I am NOT happy that highly paid, low skilled workers are being paid a few more bucks just because the union has power - because those few bucks are going to come out of my back pocket. I have no problem with low skilled workers. I admit anyone who works hard. I do have a problem with people who have unrealistic expectations for compensation - ask how union negotiating power benefited anyone working for hostess....
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Look - in a tight labor market, the terms of the deal (if accurate) look fair. The issue is that the terms could have likely been achieved without a strike, which seemed to be mainly for show.

To those that are begrudging a labor deal, I'm not sure what you were hoping for - were you expecting the hotels to decrease worker pay? Hotels need to pay market rates, and wages are up. It doesn't matter if the labor is "skilled," "unskilled," requires "education" or not, it is supply and demand, and hotel staff are in demand in a world where people are spending more and more on travel and paying more for experiences.
This isnt about hotels not paying market rates. didnt you read what the union rep said? more or less: "now other hotels will have to increase their wages too". This was about a special interest with a stranglehold on labor resources artificially inflating wages.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.