Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 28, 18, 11:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yosithezet
Wiki Link
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 3, 18, 6:24 am
Original Poster

MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

----

BREAKING NEWS ALERT

Hotel workers walked off the job at seven Marriott hotels in Boston Wednesday morning, launching the first hotel strike in the city’s history following months of fruitless contract negotiations.

The job action involves more than 1,500 Marriott International employees, from housekeepers to bartenders to bellmen at the Aloft Boston Seaport District, Element Boston Seaport District, Ritz-Carlton Boston, Sheraton Boston, W Hotel Boston, Westin Boston Waterfront, and Westin Copley Place.

To read the full story, visit: www.BostonGlobe.com

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 16, 18 at 3:07 am
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:01 am

Anyone heading to Boston?? 7 Properties' workers on STRIKE

Just saw this on the News this morning. Union workers have walked off the job at 7 Properties in Boston!!

https://www.wcvb.com/article/one-job...wages/23577654

First Hotel workers' strike Ever in Boston!!

Hotels are: Aloft Boston Seaport District, the Element Boston Seaport District, the Ritz-Carlton Boston, the Sheraton Boston, the W Hotel Boston, the Westin Boston Waterfront, and the Westin Copley Place.
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Update:

1). I just walked by the Ritz-Carlton on my way to the Equinox gym in the building. There is a large crowd of picketers (they look like hacks from the union hall and not employees to me by the way). They are being very noisy and disruptive - using a megaphone, banging drums, etc. Despite a fairly well staffed picket line they were clearly expecting more - there are many, many signs sitting on the sidewalk in a stack with no one to hold them. I only saw one detail cop keeping a watchful eye. If you will be staying at one of the hotes
impacted be prepared to cross the picket line and be sure to try to get a room that does not face the picket line if you don’t want to listen to this.

2). The news reports are saying “Boston’s first hote
strike.” I didn’t go back to research this point but I don’t think it’s accurate. I seem to recall a strike in the late 70’s or 80’s.
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete - user error

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 3, 18 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 3, 18 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA-G, B6, DL, SW, SPG-P, AGR-S
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
Update:

1). I just walked by the Ritz-Carlton on my way to the Equinox gym in the building. There is a large crowd of picketers (they look like hacks from the union hall and not employees to me by the way). They are being very noisy and disruptive - using a megaphone, banging drums, etc. Despite a fairly well staffed picket line they were clearly expecting more - there are many, many signs sitting on the sidewalk in a stack with no one to hold them. I only saw one detail cop keeping a watchful eye. If you will be staying at one of the hotes
impacted be prepared to cross the picket line and be sure to try to get a room that does not face the picket line if you donít want to listen to this.
There were picketers at the Ritz-Carlton as early as Saturday, as I passed by them on my way back from seeing Hamilton. I don't recall seeing them by the W at that time.
I'm concerned as I've got a stay booked for the W tomorrow night, and consequently am within the penalty period for cancellation.
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
There were picketers at the Ritz-Carlton as early as Saturday, as I passed by them on my way back from seeing Hamilton. I don't recall seeing them by the W at that time.
I'm concerned as I've got a stay booked for the W tomorrow night, and consequently am within the penalty period for cancellation.
I suspect that a strike is the sort of situation where a decent hotel would be willing to let you cancel even if the deadline has passed. You'd need to contact someone which authority at the property, not Starriott customer "service."
Old Oct 4, 18, 11:13 am

4 Oct : Workers at 7 Marriott hotels in SF go on strike

Similar to Boston strike.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-13281148.php
Old Oct 5, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum (Sky Team Elite Plus) / Marriott Ambassador Elite / Singapore Airlines PPS club
Palace Hotel SFO total joke at the moment. No housekeeping, basic breakfast buffet not worthy of a Courtyard or Four Points. Avoid for now whilst strike ongoing, otherwise beautiful property.
Old Oct 7, 18, 11:53 pm

Programs: TK*Gold; WN A-list; AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
The SF properties seem to be majorly impacted. I was supposed to be at the Marriott Oakland this weekend and arrived to very loud picket lines. Was told that there would be no services and I would rather not cross picket lines. They let me cancel with no penalty and I headed to the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco. I was on the 34th floor at the GH, and you could hear the picket line noise in my room with the window closed from the St Francis Westin nearby. I walked by the Marriott Marquis and they had quite a few strikers. Each picket line at the various properties I passed that had strikers was very loud. I would avoid Marriott SF/Oak properties that are affected until this is over.
Old Oct 8, 18, 2:43 pm

Labor Dispute - At Hotel

Hello All,

I'm in the middle of a stay right now (Sheraton PK) and the hotel staff are on strike. There are no housekeeping services, no restaurants, no pool services, picket lines are set up across all hotel entrances and exits.
This is the first time I've been at hotel when a labor dispute is in process and was wondering whether it is grounds for some sort of compensation? I'm not trying to get the most out of the situation, but just what is reasonable.

Since this hotel charges a daily resort fee, I'd assume that at the very least, this fee should be waived for the duration of the labor dispute.
What about my platinum breakfast vouchers that I was unable to use due to the strike? Is it reasonable to ask for something back for these?

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:10 pm

The Westin Book Cadillac in Detroit can be added to the list of Marriott hotels with a strike going on. Approximately 160 bartenders, servers, cashiers, bellmen, front desk workers and housekeepers walked out yesterday.
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Renard View Post
The SF properties seem to be majorly impacted. I was supposed to be at the Marriott Oakland this weekend and arrived to very loud picket lines.
I work across the street and can confirm they are VERY LOUD.
Old Oct 8, 18, 4:08 pm

Strikes occurring in Oahu and Maui.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...in-hawaii.html
Old Oct 8, 18, 5:17 pm

Wow, didn't realize this was such a widespread issue.

Do I have an recourse if I am mid way through a stay, and being impacted by the labor action? I can't really just move to a different hotel, as there are none in the general area that I would be able to get for similar rate I paid.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: