Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sdflyer04

I looked. But, I can’t figure out how that answers my question?
You need 750 nights for LTPP.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:54 am

Does anyone have any data points on whether points earned on SPG Amex cards (post 8/18) count in the lifetime total for Marriott legacy lifetime status? I saw the post above about accessing lifetime points through the old version of the site and can view my lifetime points, but I'm about 100k short and considering the SPG Luxury Amex while they are offering 100k points as the sign-up bonus, but was curious if anyone had experience seeing how that counter tracks SPG-branded card earnings.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike1111
Does anyone have any data points on whether points earned on SPG Amex cards (post 8/18) count in the lifetime total for Marriott legacy lifetime status? I saw the post above about accessing lifetime points through the old version of the site and can view my lifetime points, but I'm about 100k short and considering the SPG Luxury Amex while they are offering 100k points as the sign-up bonus, but was curious if anyone had experience seeing how that counter tracks SPG-branded card earnings.
It depends on how you sign up. What might work a new card might not work for an existing card:

I transferred 1000 points from Amex Membership Rewards to what Amex called SPG, but I gave my legacy Marriott number, and they accepted it, and it showed up on the Marriott version (not the SPG version) of the new website as "online mall bonus" or some such silliness, but it did count toward my lifetime points.

So if you're going to sign up for an SPG card at this point and want it to count toward Marriott lifetime, the greatest chance of that is if you give you legacy Marriott number to Amex when you sign up. Don't give your SPG number!

If you give your legacy Marriott number, it posts directly to your legacy Marriott account, and there's no trace of it having been "SPG". If you give your SPG number (old or new), it'll go into your SPG account, and then it will be treated as SPG new points, and the questions about lifetime validity that that brings up.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It depends on how you sign up. What might work a new card might not work for an existing card:

I transferred 1000 points from Amex Membership Rewards to what Amex called SPG, but I gave my legacy Marriott number, and they accepted it, and it showed up on the Marriott version (not the SPG version) of the new website as "online mall bonus" or some such silliness, but it did count toward my lifetime points.

So if you're going to sign up for an SPG card at this point and want it to count toward Marriott lifetime, the greatest chance of that is if you give you legacy Marriott number to Amex when you sign up. Don't give your SPG number!

If you give your legacy Marriott number, it posts directly to your legacy Marriott account, and there's no trace of it having been "SPG". If you give your SPG number (old or new), it'll go into your SPG account, and then it will be treated as SPG new points, and the questions about lifetime validity that that brings up.
I'm in a similar boat. My old SPG account "magically" was de-linked from Amex Membership rewards, so I re-linked it using my existing Marriott number, NOT my new SPG number. The 1,000 points I transferred showed up in my Marriott account balance shortly after, but I still can't see the "activity". I've been tracking these things in Excel for quite some time now, and I just tried the trick posted above to see my lifetime points, and the transferred Amex points appear to be included. So from what I can tell, Amex transfers can be added to the list of points that count toward lifetime, similar to Chase UR and United RewardsPlus.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
That's what I am doing, too!

I am at 9 years total Platinum with 1300+ nights. I had 60 legacy Marriott nights for 2018 pre-merger and have confirmed with my Ambassador that 75 legacy Marriott nights for 2018 will count as my 10th year of Platinum status--thereby qualifying me for Lifetime Platinum Premier status.

I already have another 5 nights booked with Ritz-Carlton properties for 2018. So I need 10 legacy Marriott nights for 2018. I booked a nearby Cat 3 Courtyard hotel for 5 nights at 17,500 points/night with the 5th night free--twice. That will get me the 15 total legacy Marriott nights I need. I'll just check in and put the DND sign on the door and come back after a night or two each time. I'll check with the front desk, too--just to make sure I get proper credit for all 5 nights both times. I also booked those stays in Nov so I have plenty of time to fix any possible issues/mistakes. So 140,000 points gets me to Lifetime Plat Premier status--a bargain for me.

(I wish there were Cat 1 or 2 hotels near me, but no such luck in SoCal!)
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:16 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
That's what I am doing, too!

I am at 9 years total Platinum with 1300+ nights. I had 60 legacy Marriott nights for 2018 pre-merger and have confirmed with my Ambassador that 75 legacy Marriott nights for 2018 will count as my 10th year of Platinum status--thereby qualifying me for Lifetime Platinum Premier status.

I already have another 5 nights booked with Ritz-Carlton properties for 2018. So I need 10 legacy Marriott nights for 2018. I booked a nearby Cat 3 Courtyard hotel for 5 nights at 17,500 points/night with the 5th night free--twice. That will get me the 15 total legacy Marriott nights I need. I'll just check in and put the DND sign on the door and come back after a night or two each time. I'll check with the front desk, too--just to make sure I get proper credit for all 5 nights both times. I also booked those stays in Nov so I have plenty of time to fix any possible issues/mistakes. So 140,000 points gets me to Lifetime Plat Premier status--a bargain for me.

(I wish there were Cat 1 or 2 hotels near me, but no such luck in SoCal!)
Congrats Bill

Wirh that many nights and 9 years it would have burned to miss out on LTPPE if there wasn’t the Marriott option.

Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I was SPG Lifetime Gold (exact 250 lifetime nights) before I merged two accounts (no lifetime status with Marriott Rewards), and now it says Lifetime Silver after I merged.
Do I need to tell Marriott to fix that or are they still working on the bug?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I was SPG Lifetime Gold (exact 250 lifetime nights) before I merged two accounts (no lifetime status with Marriott Rewards), and now it says Lifetime Silver after I merged.
Fix what? Under the new program, a combined 250 lifetime nights and 5 years elite status is LT Silver.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Segments

Fix what? Under the new program, a combined 250 lifetime nights and 5 years elite status is LT Silver.
Yes, you should be LT Gold under the new program.* Whether you wait to see if they fix it without contact from you is another thing.

* "If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in SPG or Rewards, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine SPG and Rewards accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. "
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Exactly when did you hit SPG LTG? Before the merge or after but before you combined your accounts? If it was after the merge, then you may need to wait until the end of the year when they sweep the accounts for those earning status via legacy rules. Since they are still in scramble mode, you might get a better response if you hold off till things wind down.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Exactly when did you hit SPG LTG? Before the merge or after but before you combined your accounts? If it was after the merge, then you may need to wait until the end of the year when they sweep the accounts for those earning status via legacy rules. Since they are still in scramble mode, you might get a better response if you hold off till things wind down.
And what direction did you merge? If you merged SPG into an existing Marriott Rewards account, it would have transferred the history but may have only evaluated on the new criteria at that time. In theory, if you made it based on the old criteria you should get to keep Lifetime Gold but it may require the year-end sweep or at the very least contacting Marriott, but they do seem rather busy of late.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I became SPG LTG in May this year under legacy SPG program.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mike1111
And what direction did you merge? If you merged SPG into an existing Marriott Rewards account, it would have transferred the history but may have only evaluated on the new criteria at that time. In theory, if you made it based on the old criteria you should get to keep Lifetime Gold but it may require the year-end sweep or at the very least contacting Marriott, but they do seem rather busy of late.
I merged my accounts and I am keeping Marriott account... I guess that's why I lost LTG status for now. Probably I should have kept my SPG account when I combined to see my correct LT status.
I got platinum elite status from RewardsPlus program until next January anyways, so I guess I can wait until they fix it.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I became SPG LTG in May this year under legacy SPG program.
Ok, then you should be LTG in the new program. There is so much for them to do still, unless you need this status for an upcoming stay, give them time to work through the backlog, you might already be on their list.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

My Lifetime Status to LTG from LTS because I can keep my legacy SPG LTG status under the new program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.