Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I hope you’re wrong about that given how often somebody posts that a hotel manager tells them “everyone’s a Plat now!” It was a stupid idea when Marriott first came up with it, and it was all the more so when they doubled down at the merge. Like I said, I remain hopefull - don’t think any of us knows for certain just now...
The way I see it, Marriott considers three flavors of Platinum Elite to be a feature, not a bug.

From a standpoint of training and operations at 6,700+ hotels around the world, a guest is either Platinum or not Platinum (and most guests are not Platinum).

If Platinum, the front desk knows to offer the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift, the breakfast/lounge benefit at brands where it applies, and to avoid walking the guest if at all possible.

If not Platinum, then the front desk doesn't have to worry about status, except to read the script, "I see you're Silver Elite; thank you for your loyalty," or "I see you're Gold Elite; thank you for your loyalty."

Sure, there is a spectrum of benefits as the Elite level goes up. But to a large degree, that part of it is automated, such as point bonuses based Elite level and how a hotel's billing system deals with enhanced Internet. I would hope that a hotel's room assigner takes Elite levels more seriously when pre-assigning rooms, but that doesn't always seem to be the case.
EuropeanPete and CCIE_Flyer like this.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 8, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Horace
The way I see, Marriott considers three flavors of Platinum Elite to be a feature, not a bug.
Ha! I had never considered it from that perspective - and obviously you may well be onto something there...

​​
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Has anyone else noticed that the format and status shown on Marriott.com vs. the website we're using to play the "29 ways" game are different? I'm referring to the pop-up status bar if you click on your name in the upper-right corner.

Marriott.com uses a larger font and shows me as Platinum Preferred Elite. Technically true.

The website for 29 ways uses a different (cleaner looking, IMO) font and shows me as Platinum Preferred Lifetime Elite. Also technically true.

I prefer the font from the 29 ways site.

-RM
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:05 am

Lifetime Platinum Premier under legacy requirement

Hello everyone,

I am not 100% confident about my qualification of lifetime Platinum Premier under legacy requirement.

My SPG account (53 nights) was already combined with Marriott (704 nights), so in total my account is more than 750 nights. And I have more than 2M points, so that is no problem.

I stay a lot with Marriott only from these a few years so combining both accounts only has 7 years platinum, so I can not use new criteria. But *legacy requirement* only requires 750 nights + 2M points; no requirement of 10 years of Platinum members) which I feel I already met that.

FAQ ? Marriott Members

CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

However, if digging into this *legacy requirement*, before the merge there is no way that staying SPG hotels can be credit into Marriott account, right? This means my total of 757 nights where 53 are from SPG accounts should not count. (If counting SPG hotel stays that will contradict with *legacy requirement*?)

Well, here is the worst case: if anyone want to use *legacy requirement* he/she will not be notified immediately but until sometime in Jan 2019. Then if turning down by that time, it is too late.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Hit 250 nights in SPG hotels. Based on the legacy SPG rule, I will become life time gold when next round of account sweep happens in Jan, 2019 if understand correctly.
Question is how many more nights to achieve Lifetime Platinum Elite in the combined program going forward.

Probably the key question is will the program adjust the lifetime nights to 400 once a member achieved SPG Gold lifetime status based on the old requirement in the combined program?
Also how will the program treat the nights stayed at Marriott hotels (accounts not combined yet)? Will that be on top of the SPG nights (i.e. 400 nights based on requirement of SPG Gold lifetime status + additional nights from Marriott hotel stays?)

Thanks for those who already received the Lifetime status to share the experience.
No, do not expect your LT nights to move to match an earned status tier. Many have asked if they are comp'd a status for any reason if they only have to earn the difference to get the next tier and the answer was always no, you must meet the tier requirements. When you combine your accounts, your LT night totals will be added together, as will your annual nights. Do make sure you take screenshots of your accounts before you combine and check the totals/years afterwards. Marriott IT has been having challenges doing it right.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by gcja
Hello everyone,

I am not 100% confident about my qualification of lifetime Platinum Premier under legacy requirement.

My SPG account (53 nights) was already combined with Marriott (704 nights), so in total my account is more than 750 nights. And I have more than 2M points, so that is no problem.

I stay a lot with Marriott only from these a few years so combining both accounts only has 7 years platinum, so I can not use new criteria. But *legacy requirement* only requires 750 nights + 2M points; no requirement of 10 years of Platinum members) which I feel I already met that.

FAQ ? Marriott Members

CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

However, if digging into this *legacy requirement*, before the merge there is no way that staying SPG hotels can be credit into Marriott account, right? This means my total of 757 nights where 53 are from SPG accounts should not count. (If counting SPG hotel stays that will contradict with *legacy requirement*?)

Well, here is the worst case: if anyone want to use *legacy requirement* he/she will not be notified immediately but until sometime in Jan 2019. Then if turning down by that time, it is too late.
Marriott has wiggled so much on this topic their documentation has not kept up. Today's list of what is supposed to get LTPP status is:
750 MR nights & 2M points (legacy MR LTP status)
750 combined nights & 10 years combined Plat status
750 combined nights & 2M MR points

Yes, the only group that should be seeing LTPP status today are those that made MR LTP status with all the others being bestowed sometime in January. And yes, if you are not over the line by end of January there is no last minute dash that will get you there. It would be wise to get a screenshot of your account status at it's highest level and continue to check to make sure future "corrections" don't take something away (of course obvious errors in your account are fair game).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks RogerD408 for your response. Was hoping otherwise but this sounds realistic.

Seems yet another challenges for Marriott IT to keep track of special cases (250 night lifetime Gold status and 400 night lifetime Gold, etc.)

I have been hesitated to combine accounts, will take screenshots if decided to merge.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Thanks RogerD408 for your response. Was hoping otherwise but this sounds realistic.

Seems yet another challenges for Marriott IT to keep track of special cases (250 night lifetime Gold status and 400 night lifetime Gold, etc.)

I have been hesitated to combine accounts, will take screenshots if decided to merge.
The end of year sweep will just require an update to our status code, it's not recomputed with each view, so I'm hoping they will be able to handle that.

I do suggest you get some screenshots NOW since we don't know what "fixes" might come down the road and hit the accounts. Some are reporting corrections being in place and others are not. Sounds like they are hitting batches of accounts and we'll never know when ours might "get lucky". And I would suggest you combine your accounts before 12/31 so any benefits of the numbers being added will make it through the sweep. I would not count on them trying to figure out which accounts belong together and process the sweep with that in mind. Plus, as the T&Cs state multiple accounts are not allowed, so at some time, if they can prove the linkage, you may loose one of the accounts.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott announced that the "New program name and brand go live" in "Early 2019."
[...]
The part about a new brand is more intriguing. Is it that just a brand for the loyalty program? If so, how is that brand different than the program name? Or is it a new brand for the entire portfolio of hotel brands?
It could mean the "Marriott hotels" brand, or it could just mean the "Marriott hotels" logo (ie, branding includes the look). Maybe the Marriott logo will change to the purple background that SPG had or the font that SPG had?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks RogerD408's sound advice of taking initiative to merge two accounts. I did want them to be separated until SPG account hit 250 lifetime nights, also IT unstableness makes me don't want to deal with it. But agree should take care of it soon as year end approaching.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:45 pm

Am I right - Credit card nights will not count toward lifetime status ? How about award nights ? Just had an award stay post and the number of nights was wrong and neither my YTD or Lifetime nights moved at all even with the reduced number of nights that posted - 2 night stay that posted as 1 night . However , the base points and elite bonus points is correct.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Am I right - Credit card nights will not count toward lifetime status ? How about award nights ? Just had an award stay post and the number of nights was wrong and neither my YTD or Lifetime nights moved at all even with the reduced number of nights that posted - 2 night stay that posted as 1 night . However , the base points and elite bonus points is correct.
Going forward any CC or award nights should/will count towards LT (this is the Marriott way on CC, not SPG)
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Going forward any CC or award nights should/will count towards LT (this is the Marriott way on CC, not SPG)
Actually, I do believe they do count, at least they have for me for SPG. Never had a MR CC so can't speak to that. The current IT fiasco has made tracking this a moving target if you didn't keep your own records. Many years ago I created a spreadsheet that not only tracked my history, but allowed tracking future bookings so I knew where I was expected to end the year. Made it easy to see missing stays/nights and making tier with a slight buffer. I don't see that need going away, especially with Marriott's track history.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, I do believe they do count, at least they have for me for SPG. Never had a MR CC so can't speak to that. The current IT fiasco has made tracking this a moving target if you didn't keep your own records. Many years ago I created a spreadsheet that not only tracked my history, but allowed tracking future bookings so I knew where I was expected to end the year. Made it easy to see missing stays/nights and making tier with a slight buffer. I don't see that need going away, especially with Marriott's track history.
Starwood CC nights counted for annual nights only w/SPG, not LT
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Starwood CC nights counted for annual nights only w/SPG, not LT
It tracked through on my spreadsheet at least through 2014 before I dropped the SPG AMEX card. Don't know if the rules changed since.

Ok, so I decided to do some checking and found https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19628489-post1815.html that says no. So I stand corrected, but I don't recall doing any special pushups to deal with them and my numbers have matched year after year. Now I guess I have to hope they won't be clawing back those nights from years past.

Last edited by RogerD408; Nov 10, 2018 at 8:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.