Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
If it’s a large hotel in a central location in a US city, I wouldn’t be surprised if half the guests were Platinum.
I've seen lists for lounge entry with well over a hundred names.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Kudos to the Palace for getting it all right (from their welcome email):
Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hotelprof
Remember also that pre-Marriott-merger, literally ALL SPG elites got guaranteed 4 pm. Yes, even "Preferred Plus," which was their equivalent level to Marriott Silver that I feel like a lot of people didn't even know about. Yet SPG managed.
No, they didn't. I never, not once, got a late check-out from SPG as either a gold or platinum elite. Every single time I asked for it the front desk had an excuse as to why the "guarantee" didn't apply. With Bonvoy, I have gotten 4pm without hassle every time I've asked for it. It's very often proactively offered at check-in, and when I say I have a morning flight (or whatever), the front desk associate cheerfully replies to let them know if my plans change. I realize not everyone's experience is the same, but we need to stop pretending that SPG was this wonderful, magical, customer-focused program and that Marriott somehow screwed it up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Kudos to the Palace for getting it all right (from their welcome email):
This is great to see. I have stayed at the Apollo in Amsterdam and although I got the 14:00 late checkout I wanted, the welcome letter for Platinum stated 4pm checkout - subject to availability.

I normally get the checkout I want (not always 16:00 is required for me) but I have slowly stopped seeing it as a guaranteed perk and as subject to availability.

Which I guess is the collective end game for many hotels. So they win.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If one is going to exercise one's contractual right to remain in the room until 16:00, I would recommend having multiple printed copies of the Marriott BONV°Y™ Terms & Conditions, 4.3.c., Platinum benefits (with key provisions highlighted), at the ready, to provide front desk, supervisors, law enforcement personnel, etc. Do NOT open the door for police absent a warrant or court order, but slide the T & C under the door to them.

Security conscious guests sometimes bring small hardware to prevent intrusion through the door via hotel master key.

If the hotel wants to breach their contract, they can go to court and get a preliminary injunction or court order authorizing them to do so. It is unlikely any judge will do this.
This is not how it works when comes to refusing to vacate premises. Unless law provides otherwise (usually only in cases were have stayed over 30 days) the cop can legally have you removed. (Even if reason is due to being part of a protected class, say race. The cop may point out the law says that's illegal to hotel mgmt, but if they still insist, the cop must remove you. You then can sue in court for violation of the protected status by hotel) Failure to comply with police instructions will just get you charged with trespassing/failure to follow commands/etc... They don't care about contracts, etc, they only care about if the law says they must have an eviction order. The hotel might be breaching their contractual obligations to you (or civil protections), but that is for a court to decide, and for court to determine damages. Police do not resolve contract disputes/reasons for removing, courts do. The only time they will refuse to follow request is if they believe you are protected by right of tenancy and thus a court eviction order is required. Note even if have tenancy rights, a lot of cops incorrectly assume those rights don't ever apply at hotels. Again they are protected from suit unless they had previously been put on notice this wasn't the case (ie they had been sued for this vary thing and court ruled they were wrong).

If they don't believe you are protected by right to eviction order, then you must leave and obtain a writ of entry (or equivalent).

In the end, again never refuse an order by police.. They are protected even if they get it wrong. (Unless on notice already that the action isn't allowed)

It may feel wrong. However the court is the place to argue right/wrong, not with the officer.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
No, they didn't. I never, not once, got a late check-out from SPG as either a gold or platinum elite. Every single time I asked for it the front desk had an excuse as to why the "guarantee" didn't apply. With Bonvoy, I have gotten 4pm without hassle every time I've asked for it. It's very often proactively offered at check-in, and when I say I have a morning flight (or whatever), the front desk associate cheerfully replies to let them know if my plans change. I realize not everyone's experience is the same, but we need to stop pretending that SPG was this wonderful, magical, customer-focused program and that Marriott somehow screwed it up.
Did you ever report this to Starwood Lurker/William? My experience with SPG is that if a property did not follow the rules (there are always rogue properties that think the guarantees don’t apply to them), then Starwood would contact them directly to address the situation.
TV guy, EuropeanPete, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Interesting. Getting late check-out with SPG was never an issue whatsoever in my experiences.

I wouldn't say magical..........but in my opinion it was and they did.
margarita girl, KRSW and hotelprof like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post # 785)
This is not how it works when comes to refusing to vacate premises. Unless law provides otherwise (usually only in cases were have stayed over 30 days) the cop can legally have you removed.
This is dependent on the jurisdiction. As an attorney, I feel quite safe politely but firmly exercising my contractual and federal constitutional rights.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Did you ever report this to Starwood Lurker/William? My experience with SPG is that if a property did not follow the rules (there are always rogue properties that think the guarantees don’t apply to them), then Starwood would contact them directly to address the situation.
No, because in my experience SPG promised all kinds of things but rarely delivered. It wasn't worth my time fighting to get them to uphold their brand standards--I just stayed at their properties less and less.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:16 am

Don't really understand why anyone feels it necessary to poke the old SPG vs. Marriott debate five years post-acquisition, but based on my two most recent Marriott experiences will point out that the Palace, an LC property, acknowledges in its welcome email that 4 pm is "guaranteed" whereas Essex House, a JW, has by multiple recent reports (including mine) an established policy of claiming that late checkout is "subject to availability" and using that as a grounds for denying 4 pm.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't really understand why anyone feels it necessary to poke the old SPG vs. Marriott debate five years post-acquisition, but based on my two most recent Marriott experiences will point out that the Palace, an LC property, acknowledges in its welcome email that 4 pm is "guaranteed" whereas Essex House, a JW, has by multiple recent reports (including mine) an established policy of claiming that late checkout is "subject to availability" and using that as a grounds for denying 4 pm.
I have rarely had issues with 4pm checkout being “denied”, but it’s never happened at an exSPG property. I tend to find these exSPG properties are the ones who proactively offer the 4pm checkout when I check in at the front desk (especially W hotels).
Old Sep 20, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Just completed a stay at the Ritz in South Beach, Miami.

my partner is titanium. Asked for 4pm, got 2pm.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Explorist; IHG Gold; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by xinzhang5228
Just completed a stay at the Ritz in South Beach, Miami.

my partner is titanium. Asked for 4pm, got 2pm.
For the record, that one's listed as a Resort, so 4 pm is subject to availability there. Normal checkout time listed as 11 am, so they technically gave you 3 hours more than they had to.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I never had any issue with Ambassador/Titanium benefits, provided you know the rules:

1) Not all properties have the same benefits. You won't believe how many times I have heard an elite member arguing that they should have free access to lounge at St. Regis or Ritz Carlton, and will not listen to the staff that tries to tell them the rules are different. Including 4 p.m. check-out.
2) Many have been spoiled by extremely accommodating properties. Example: some properties simply turn a blind eye when you bring in your extra friends or adult family members into the lounge. But when a few properties try to follow the rules, you get a huge argument like "but I stayed frequently at such and such and never had a problem!"
3) The best example is staying at Bulgari. Sometimes I heard elite members argue they got tricked booking with them and demands a full refund because they found out at check-in that they get none of the elite benefits. Really smh.
4) Marriott changed the guaranteed Suite upgrade, so please stop giving the staff a hard time that they owe you a suite on a basic room reservation.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Explorist; IHG Gold; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
4) Marriott changed the guaranteed Suite upgrade, so please stop giving the staff a hard time that they owe you a suite on a basic room reservation.
Source/details? The member benefit chart still shows "Based on Availability Including Select Suites" for the upgrade benefit for Platinum and higher. And the terms and conditions still state (emphases added):

ii. Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room, subject to availability on the day of arrival, for the entire length of stay. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property. The Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members and above is available at all Participating Brands except at Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, Aloft, Element, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve.
So unless you're talking about a Platinum member (not Titanium or Ambassador) staying at a Ritz-Carlton specifically, it seems that Platinums and above are still entitled to upgrades up to standard (one-bedroom) suites if such suites are available for the duration of their stay, as checkable in the app or on the website. (Obviously, premium/specialty suites and multi-bedroom suites would be excluded. I'd imagine that some properties might play games with which suite categories are included, as Marriott makes this less transparent than Hyatt, but it should be obvious most of the time.)

Or are you aware of an upcoming change that Marriott's made internally but hasn't made public yet? (If so, until the benefit chart and terms and conditions are updated, the current benefit would still apply...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.