Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ntamayo
I'm starting to see 4pm late checkout confirmed on the app after checkin. Refreshing to see, but I screenshot these just in case last minute shenanigans are pulled.
It's meant nothing to me, If they don't ask again at the front desk I usually have a knock or entry at 11 or 12PM and then the passive aggressive knock every hour to see if I'm there.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was at the Sheraton Park Lane. I asked for 4 pm check out. No pushback even though it was a suite.

As I exited my room at 4:02, there were 3 housekeepers standing outside my door waiting for me to leave. They never knocked! LOL
I've seen the same thing at the Berlin Marriott, except they were waiting for me at the elevators. They were already there at 3:45 when I headed back to my room, and when I returned to the elevators 10 mins later, they suddenly rushed down the hall carrying cleaning supplies .
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by bergamini
I don't have time to read the whole thread but I will share my experience at the Westin Seattle today. I'm traveling on a high ($299) rate booked directly through their web site. I am Lifetime Titanium Elite. I requested 4PM late check-out through the app at check-in. I was not upgraded, nor was I advised of breakfast options although I knew I wouldn't use them anyway. I did not get a welcome gift, although that doesn't matter too much for this discussion.

On the day of check-out, I used the app to chat my request for late check-out again since it was never confirmed. The rep said they are too busy and gave me 12PM (normal is 11AM). I pushed back and linked to the T&C. She said they are a convention hotel. I said when I filter on hotel type for convention, that they don't show up. She finally relented and gave me 2PM. I have a 5PM flight so that mostly works since the DL lounge out here is pretty nice.

I am going to follow-up with written communication to Marriott corporate, not electronic. This needs to be clarified. A hotel can't claim they are convention just to get out of T&C.
I think once late checkout was denied, my response would have been, "Thank you for the reminder - I was not offered a welcome gift on arrival. Can I have my $100 in twenties please?"
clarkef and volabam like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by swag
I think once late checkout was denied, my response would have been, "Thank you for the reminder - I was not offered a welcome gift on arrival. Can I have my $100 in twenties please?"
once you check in on the app, the welcome gift on arrival compensation goes out the window…
SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by ntamayo
I'm starting to see 4pm late checkout confirmed on the app after checkin. Refreshing to see, but I screenshot these just in case last minute shenanigans are pulled.
Interesting. I have late check out confirmed at a hotel in Milan, Italy right now but the app still shows 12:00. Guess I'll find out on the day of departure if they are banging on the door or calling or otherwise inviting me to leave I confirmed 3pm checkout during check-in and she said no problem and entered it in the system before programming my room keys.

-RM
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Interesting. I have late check out confirmed at a hotel in Milan, Italy right now but the app still shows 12:00. Guess I'll find out on the day of departure if they are banging on the door or calling or otherwise inviting me to leave I confirmed 3pm checkout during check-in and she said no problem and entered it in the system before programming my room keys.

-RM
From what I can see, the late checkout guaranteed for a certain time note in the app only appears if you use mobile check in (or maybe desktop checkin). I usually just check in at the front desk in person and don’t find I get the note in the app. The handful of times I’ve used mobile checkin, I’ve been able to get that note in the app.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by myperks
once you check in on the app, the welcome gift on arrival compensation goes out the window…
Huh?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by clarkef
Huh?
I think what they are getting at is the app states your welcome bonus when you check in so hotels may use this as a get out? Not sure though as I’ve no personal experience with this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Will08
I think what they are getting at is the app states your welcome bonus when you check in so hotels may use this as a get out? Not sure though as I’ve no personal experience with this.
When checking in on the bonvOY app there is a statement on the screen that your welcome amenity will be given in points; if you want a different welcome amenity it is the guest's responsibility to notify the FD. The hotel therefore has fulfilled its obligation for providing a welcome amenity. Checking in on the app puts the onus back on the guest rather than the hotel.

However, if after notifying the FD that a different welcome amenity is selected, and the hotel refuses, then Guest Compensation should be available if invoked prior to check out.

¡bonvOY!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tanic
When checking in on the bonvOY app there is a statement on the screen that your welcome amenity will be given in points; if you want a different welcome amenity it is the guest's responsibility to notify the FD. The hotel therefore has fulfilled its obligation for providing a welcome amenity. Checking in on the app puts the onus back on the guest rather than the hotel.

However, if after notifying the FD that a different welcome amenity is selected, and the hotel refuses, then Guest Compensation should be available if invoked prior to check out.

¡bonvOY!
Yes I assumed this is what you were alluding to but have you experienced a hotel using this as a defence? It’d be a good reason to avoid mobile check in for those in the market for the compo (I’ve never tried).
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I traveled last month in Europe - Germany and UK. Several times at Check in I was asked if I needed 4pm check out. That was refreshing. One time I was tired and said.. umm.. no.. I don't think so.. she said I'll put you down for it anyways.

Ron.
dcmike likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by newfbc
I traveled last month in Europe - Germany and UK. Several times at Check in I was asked if I needed 4pm check out. That was refreshing. One time I was tired and said.. umm.. no.. I don't think so.. she said I'll put you down for it anyways.

Ron.
Very common here in Asia.
The FD usually set them at 4pm straight away as it was easier for them and if we check out earlier they don't have to do anything.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by newfbc

Ron.
Welcome to civilisation
Tanic and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Very common here in Asia.
The FD usually set them at 4pm straight away as it was easier for them and if we check out earlier they don't have to do anything.
I can also confirm this for hotels in India, & Malaysia
FDCs always welcome the platinum/ titanium members and 4PM or even later is always offered proactively
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I was at the Towneplace Suites Manhattan/Chelsea last weekend. I asked for the 4:00pm checkout. The front desk offered 1:00pm, like it was a negotiation. I replied that I’m sure Platinums get 4:00pm as part of our benefits. The front desk manager who was originally silent suddenly spoke up and said that I could have it.

She forgot to tell the afternoon front desk team or housekeeping, however. When I returned to get my stuff, my key didn’t work, and they were trying to figure out what was going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.