Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Ijones027
let us know how it goes
Only had pushback once on it at the Moxy Miami (which I've mentioned a while back in this thread).
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:02 am

I really can't recall ever being refused. Most always, it's offered proactively upon checking in. This benefit is one of the major advantages over being a Hilton Diamond. Getting late checkout there is like pulling teeth. IHG is much the same.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
So did you remain in your room until 16:00 as permitted by Marriott Bonvy Terms & Conditions 4.3.c.v.?
​​​​​​https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite
No, I did not. The FD agent said regardless of what Bonvoy reservation is telling they do not have the available rooms to allow me to check out at 4PM. I asked to speak with the manager on duty and of course he/she wasn't available. Is this just a rogue FD agent?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by flyme2
I really can't recall ever being refused. Most always, it's offered proactively upon checking in. This benefit is one of the major advantages over being a Hilton Diamond. Getting late checkout there is like pulling teeth. IHG is much the same.
That was my first time being refused was on July 3rd and again on at the same property on July 9th(this time they gave me a 4pm late checkout only to call me in the morning asking me checkout at 1pm). Both times I see room availability on my phone app and the second time I actually called reservations to verify room availability.
flyme2 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There always the rooms - they just don't want to give you the rooms

Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:16 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There always the rooms - they just don't want to give you the rooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM
They just don't want to honor the late checkout guaranteed to elites.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and RK23 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Some hotels are just rogue. At the Four Points in Bakersfield California, the FDC downgraded me from a suite to a regular room after she offered, and I accepted, a 4pm late check-out. When I pushed back, she claimed that the hotel didn't have suites. Needless to say, I didn't fall for it, but that hotel is on my permanent do not return list.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by clarkef
Some hotels are just rogue. At the Four Points in Bakersfield California, the FDC downgraded me from a suite to a regular room after she offered, and I accepted, a 4pm late check-out. When I pushed back, she claimed that the hotel didn't have suites. Needless to say, I didn't fall for it, but that hotel is on my permanent do not return list.
this sounds like it was handled poorly in this particular case, but there's no guarantee that you can get both an upgrade and a late checkout.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
DELETED
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by Xero; Oct 11, 2022 at 4:54 pm
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
fairfield inn not honoring 4 pm checkout

hello all,

a question for the group:

i am lifetime platinum elite with marriott, and one of the benefits i like the most is the 4 pm check out...

1st question, does anyone in the group know if that is guaranteed, at regular old fairfield inns? even if they are sold out?
i requested a 4 pm check out and they told me could ony do 2 pm as was sold out, i told them they are not living up to the terms of the benefits agreements, the manager said it was on an availability basis, i thought it was guaranteed, at hotels that are not resorts and convention hotels.

i called marriott rewards bonvoy and they got me till 3 pm, but the lady at bonvoy said because of covid our team is trying really hard, blah blah blah a bunch of baloney,

am i within my rights to call bonvoy and ask for some points as compensation or to do a chargeback?

or is the 4 pm check out based on availability?

thanks for your help,
kc tigers.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
4 PM is guaranteed even at FI's unless you're at a resort or convention property. That said, many hotels don't care about that and think they're above the program terms. Unfortunately, as you found out, Marriott Corporate tends to say "we don't care" when these properties are reported, but you still did the right thing by pushing.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:39 pm

4 PM is guaranteed for Platinum and above. The Marriott TOS make this very clear. It doesn't matter whether the hotel is full or short staffed. Housekeeping can always skip your room and do it last. In fact, I have never seen a hotel where 100% of the rooms were cleaned by checkin time.

v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.
However, many hotels try to weasel their way out of it. The exceptions are resorts, convention hotels, Design hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, and a couple other Marriott brands as listed above.

Marriott also makes it very clear what a "Participating Property" is.

1.2.a. “Participating Properties” are hotels, resorts, and other transient stay properties operated under the brands below that are owned, managed, franchised or licensed by Marriott International (“Participating Brands”) and are bookable through Marriott Channels unless otherwise stated (see 1.2.b.). Residences properties (“Residences”), whether offered as whole or fractional ownership, as serviced apartments, or condominiums, are by nature, not transient stay properties and therefore, do not participate in the Loyalty Program unless otherwise outlined below.
Sadly, there is no defined compensation for if you aren't given this guarantee. But good job trying to fight it by calling Marriott directly, even if it was only until 3 PM. How did they do it? Did they call the hotel directly?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
yes they called the hotel directly and made me feel very guilty about being short staffed and sold out, etc, etc...
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by kctigers
yes they called the hotel directly and made me feel very guilty about being short staffed and sold out, etc, etc...
Don't feel guilty. Yes, we are human, but this is business. There are no souls involved. Marriott offered you a product, which is 4 PM checkout, and you are entitled to it. Marriott is free to revoke the 4 PM checkout guarantee anytime. But until Marriott does, you are free to use it.

As far as being short staffed, that is a business decision. If they absolutely needed more staff, they would done what it takes to get more staff on board. As as a customer, that is not your problem.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
The correct response here to the front desk is, I'm leaving at 4 PM per the T&Cs, I will not be vacating my room before then. If your GM has a problem with it, he/she is welcome to give me a call.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, Horace and 10 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.