Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've noticed this for days. They're simply ignoring all the issues and problems. No chance it's coincidence.
Gary responded and mentioned a couple of his articles, says he has talked to reporters and has been "snarky" on social media. He did post about it on Monday, some of the status combination issues.

But OMAAT seems to be ignoring it...I don't follow TPG but he always seems to be in the bag.
cruisr and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It could also be that they went outside to catch some fresh air and a life.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by imverge
Not much to report?

1) Points for stays not posting
2) Travel Packages not redeemable at Starwood properties
3) 50/75 night award benefit not selectable
4) Confirmed points reservations booked prior to 8/18 now higher
5) Amex points not posting
6) Category 7 hotels not bookable for listed 60K points
7) And so on, and so on...

Some IT issues? see above
Yes, some IT issues. ever seen an SAP implementation? Its a billion time more trainwrecky than this. If this continues in a week, then yes, time to start asking questions. But the first few days/week after a massive IT merger, this is to be expected.

What Marriott/SPG are doing is FAR harder than a shut down and cut over. By allowing people to merge either way, keep legacy accounts, allow for status qualification on the old MR, old SPG AND new combined program, the process is far more complex. Had they just told SPG members too-bad-so-sad-were-moving-you-over-to-MR, they'd be far far more people howling.

it sucks, but this isn't that bad. One thing I would change would have been to do the conversion last weekend and then waited a week to allow combining accounts.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I expected some blogging about the LTPP/LTP (possible) controversy. In fact, I'm shocked I haven't seen anything about it.
There is no controversy...LTPP is lifetime PP. There is a reason you haven't heard anything about it...because that theory is ludicrous.
CCIE_Flyer, bhrubin and yurtripper like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Gary responded and mentioned a couple of his articles, says he has talked to reporters and has been "snarky" on social media. He did post about it on Monday, some of the status combination issues.

But OMAAT seems to be ignoring it...I don't follow TPG but he always seems to be in the bag.
If you want complaints and juicy gossip try LoyaltyLobby. He's pretty up to date on them, and I appreciate him being very upfront with his post.
No sugar coating like the big name bloggers..
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Try getting them to respond to an email. You have better luck emailing the president.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
There is no controversy...LTPP is lifetime PP. There is a reason you haven't heard anything about it...because that theory is ludicrous.
When did bloggers stop blogging about ludicrous theories? I didn't get that memo.

Something like "Multiple people are reporting they were told by Marriott customer service after the merger that LTPP were only getting LTP benefits. Marriott responded it was only a glitch and would be taken care of soon" would have been good for a few ten thousand clicks or so, with the proper headline of course.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Catbert10
When did bloggers stop blogging about ludicrous theories? I didn't get that memo.

Something like "Multiple people are reporting they were told by Marriott customer service after the merger that LTPP were only getting LTP benefits. Marriott responded it was only a glitch and would be taken care of soon" would have been good for a few ten thousand clicks or so, with the proper headline of course.
yeah that would be some awesome clickbait
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I posted the question to Gary in the VFTW post today in the SPG card pump article. I find him to be a straight shooter
A self-promoter? Yes. A straight shooter? On that we'll just have to disagree.
jrm68 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tfong007
Try getting them to respond to an email. You have better luck emailing the president.
Or getting them to act as a consumer advocate against a credit card company.
jrm68 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:13 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
The only one who has really been regular in reporting fairly factually since the merger is loyaltylobby. Unsurprisingly it is also one of the only blogs that doesn't (or barely?) live off credit card referrals.

The bloggers are the one's who were hyping the program, some were also used as marketing collateral for SPG (i.e. TPG), others have already been to the most expensive SPG properties done full written and video reviews hyping said places.

Honestly why anyone believes bloggers are 100% honest and unbiased is beyond me.
tfong007, cruisr, imverge and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
A self-promoter? Yes. A straight shooter? On that we'll just have to disagree.
Compared to the other bloggers - yes. It is not his full time job to drive traffic to his site.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yes, some IT issues. ever seen an SAP implementation? Its a billion time more trainwrecky than this. If this continues in a week, then yes, time to start asking questions. But the first few days/week after a massive IT merger, this is to be expected.
I do SAP implementations all the time. A lot of these issues should have been worked out during the mocks and QA's. By day 5 of the implementation we should be further along than we are. On the other hand, we have no clue how many fires they put out to even get to this point. All in all, im personally disappointed in the roll out, but if everything is good by end of next week, I will consider this somewhat successful from a technical standpoint..
mcgahat likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:19 pm

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/20/...ng-trust-left/
imverge and allset2travel like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there ever anything mentioned on these blogs that isn’t mentioned here first? Why even bother reading them? It’s not like they provide any new insight. Just one dude’s analysis and regurgitation of info found here with lots of CC apps attached. Plus the occasional “I flew Qatar first to visit Hyatt Bora Bora” story that you can also find in trip reports here sans the credit card pitch.
izzik, cruisr, narvik and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.