Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gcashin
If Marriott actually wants to brand themselves as being environmentally responsible, they need to step it up, including making the MAGC points more commensurate with the potential inconvenience, and actually demonstrate some leadership elsewhere, instead of going backwards by using more disposable utensils and dishes to avoid hiring dishwashers.
But according to all the MAGA fans here, they gladly accept points because there is no inconvenience to having dirty towels and no maid service. LOL
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Marriott is not exactly a leader in sustainability - their practices are pretty much Greenwashing and the only time they pretend to be environmentally responsible is when they can save some money (as they can with housekeeping). They use a ton of plastic and styrofoam packaging, utensils, and plates in lieu of dishware, especially in some of their lower end properties like Courtyard, Fairfield, etc. Their recycling program is non-existent at many facilities, and among the worst in the industry - tons of club lounges using thousands of small plastic water bottles a day with nary a recycling bin in sight.

If Marriott actually wants to brand themselves as being environmentally responsible, they need to step it up, including making the MAGC points more commensurate with the potential inconvenience, and actually demonstrate some leadership elsewhere, instead of going backwards by using more disposable utensils and dishes to avoid hiring dishwashers.

I wouldn't be so quick to put this on customers - Marriott needs to offer a reasonable incentive for people to decline housekeeping, and cutting back the compensation by ~67% is a step backwards in encouraging more sustainable behaviour.
But I think you all seem to be forgetting that a lot of former Marriott properties didn't offer MAGC at all and I believe some were only 250 points. So if it goes to 500 points that's still 2X what some were offering and much better than those that were offering nothing. Which is probably even more reason to doubt that you'll somehow see less people overall choosing MAGC, because even if less former SPG members do it, more former MR members probably will.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boraxo
But according to all the MAGA fans here, they gladly accept points because there is no inconvenience to having dirty towels and no maid service. LOL
MAGC and MAGA are pretty different things.

But yes, there is no inconvenience to reusing a towel. Unless you wash your towels daily at home, how is it any more work to hang it on the door vs leave it anywhere else and use it again?
username likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by GoPhils
But I think you all seem to be forgetting that a lot of former Marriott properties didn't offer MAGC at all and I believe some were only 250 points. So if it goes to 500 points that's still 2X what some were offering and much better than those that were offering nothing. Which is probably even more reason to doubt that you'll somehow see less people overall choosing MAGC, because even if less former SPG members do it, more former MR members probably will.
The change in incentive varies by property, so I'd expect the outcomes will differ based more on the property than if a customer is heritage Marriott or SPG. The Marriott locations I can recall all offered 500 points, so it should be a wash. Yes, if a property was offering 0 or 250, and now offers 500, then they may see an uptick in customers choosing MAGC. But for SPG properties that used to offer 1500 and are now offering 500, I'd expect they'll see fewer people opting for MAGC.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
The change in incentive varies by property, so I'd expect the outcomes will differ based more on the property than if a customer is heritage Marriott or SPG. The Marriott locations I can recall all offered 500 points, so it should be a wash. Yes, if a property was offering 0 or 250, and now offers 500, then they may see an uptick in customers choosing MAGC. But for SPG properties that used to offer 1500 and are now offering 500, I'd expect they'll see fewer people opting for MAGC.
I get that, was more talking about if former MR members now stay in former SPG hotels.

But maybe a more pessimistic way to look at it is hopefully more former MR hotels do really implement it. If not and former SPG members stay there and expect any points, let alone 1500 they could be even more disappointed.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
MAGC and MAGA are pretty different things.

But yes, there is no inconvenience to reusing a towel. Unless you wash your towels daily at home, how is it any more work to hang it on the door vs leave it anywhere else and use it again?
If there is no difference than the points should not matter. But clearly they do as evidenced by 100+ posts. This has nothing to do with green or inconvenience and just simply another reduction in points earned for stays. On the plus side SPG was always very stingy with rewards for hotel spend (2 points per $1 spend v. 10 points per $1 spend, excluding elite bonuses) so look at it as a trade off. You now get more points for hotel spend and less for the "green" nonsense. Overall some of us will be happy and some will not.

I love it when people say they are going to "punish" Marriott by taking maid service now. Really? Do you think this is even on the radar in Bethesda?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott is not exactly a leader in sustainability - their practices are pretty much Greenwashing and the only time they pretend to be environmentally responsible is when they can save some money (as they can with housekeeping). They use a ton of plastic and styrofoam packaging, utensils, and plates in lieu of dishware, especially in some of their lower end properties like Courtyard, Fairfield, etc. Their recycling program is non-existent at many facilities, and among the worst in the industry - tons of club lounges using thousands of small plastic water bottles a day with nary a recycling bin in sight.

I wouldn't be so quick to put this on customers - Marriott needs to offer a reasonable incentive for people to decline housekeeping, and cutting back the compensation by ~67% is a step backwards in encouraging more sustainable behaviour.
I don't know how you concluded that I was saying Marriott is a leader in sustainability. They do whatever maximizes their profits and this is the number they have reached.

What I am saying is:

1 - if one wants to help reduce waste, one should decline housekeeping no matter how few points they offer
2 - we definitely should not waste resources unnecessarily to make a point with Marriott

Don't twist my words, please.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, there is no inconvenience. However, even if there is inconvenience, for the sake of the environment (and/or the points ), you deal with it.

Frankly, if you see those expose on how hotel rooms are cleaned, you probably want to decline housekeeping anyway

Last edited by username; Aug 27, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

In other words, you're a committed environmentalist so long as Marriott compensates you enough.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I'm late to this thread and it's already too lengthy to read each and every post - apologies if this point has already been beleaguered...

To me, it's one of those YMMV situations. I recently had about a year-and-a-half consulting engagement down in Miami. In all of my years of travels, I have never experienced such poor housekeeping services. It was maddening, and it was across the spectrum of brands and price points. And it didn't make one bit of difference if I tried to bribe them with good tips - sloppy, sloppy, sloppy - lazy. So I was good with only allowing them in when my batch of four clean towels ran out. I'm pretty cleanly in a hotel room, anyway. And I'd imagine the 250/500 SPG points I picked up each MAGC night totaled to not only a few free nights worth of points over the long course of time. So yeah, it was a valuable feature in that scenario. But not one I ever take advantage of when vacationing and my wife is going through all of the towels pretty much daily.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackE
In other words, you're a committed environmentalist so long as Marriott compensates you enough.
^

I think just we think Marriott is being hypocritical disguising this as an environment thing, some members are being hypocritical by not admitting they really only care about the points they earn. That is fine - this is FT. However, just admit it.
dayone likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:46 am

Legacy SPG hotels needs to change the door sign signage. Stayed August 15-18, thinking I’d get 500 SPG points per night. No luck, received 500 devalued points per night. Disappointed in all the mid-year changes.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by ducky9
Legacy SPG hotels needs to change the door sign signage. Stayed August 15-18, thinking I’d get 500 SPG points per night. No luck, received 500 devalued points per night. Disappointed in all the mid-year changes.
same posted yesterday.
Wrote them and they are kind of “we don’t understand what you mean”.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by username
^
I think just we think Marriott is being hypocritical disguising this as an environment thing, some members are being hypocritical by not admitting they really only care about the points they earn. That is fine - this is FT. However, just admit it.
It is not so black & white. If the environmental impact of asking housekeeping done for just one night was so terrible as to cause severe sickness to dozens of people in that town, then most would decline housekeeping even if no points are offered. At the other extreme, if the environmental impact was absolutely zero, most would want far more than 1500 points to forego housekeeping. The reality is in between. That means the fewer points offered, the more you tilt the balance one way, which is not to say that people care 0% or 100% about housekeeping.
gcashin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:00 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I always request that towels and sheets not be changed every day, perhaps once every 5 days if staying longer. I dont ask for the green option as I do like my bathroom being cleaned and bed made up, maybe I am a bit lazy! You can still opt for this service which should not have an environmental impact. I couldn't care less about the few points, I think some people on this forum would sell their kids for points!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.