FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67% (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1926703-another-pathetic-cut-marriott-make-green-choice-67-a.html)

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Just realised that the enhancement promised by Marriott goes with another HUGE cut : -67% for Make a Green Choice.
Previously 250 or 500 it is now 250 or 500, they earn the same number.
This was a great way to make some points for those without US credit card but now it's not as interesting as it used to be.

I will not use make a green choice anymore, was kind of "pain" and "work" to make some points, but I can tell you that I will request linen and all towels change every single day. Let's teach Marriott the right way!

Not to mention the cut of 33% for the welcome bonus and the vague T&C for upgrade...
And I don't talk about the new rewards, except few properties that was anyway overpriced, it's a big devaluation!

And the bloggers (TPG is the worst of them, I suspect him to work for Marriott... or being blind) was talking about enhancement, great new program? Sorry guys, but it is not what I call a positive merger for SPG members!

UA-NYC Aug 22, 2018 1:54 pm

You would think Marriott would come out ahead on total net cost even at the old SPG rates...

I guess I too will now get housekeeping every day of a multi-night stay

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30116687)
You would think Marriott would come out ahead on total net cost even at the old SPG rates...

yes, 500 marriott points or 250 (it's even funny) does not worth the work ))

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 1:59 pm

To make it short, spending 350 nights a year in hotels I didn't take time to complain everytime something was not ok... I will start to do it systematically.
I consider my average room cost will be increased because of those cuts, so I expect a better service. If anything goes wrong > complain > compensation.
Period.

joakgarp Aug 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Rip Spg, the greatest Hotel program of all time.

VickiSoCal Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Is there anyway to clarify the OP so it makes sense with what kinds of points are being referenced?

UA-NYC Aug 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 30116748)
Is there anyway to clarify the OP so it makes sense with what kinds of points are being referenced?

MAGC. Green Choice. You never did this?

FlyingBeanCounter Aug 22, 2018 2:11 pm

I never did this. Half the time they just gave me the points anyway.

These things are peanuts compared to the promotions. I will be curious to see what happens to those over the next year or so. Many could be quite generous.

VickiSoCal Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30116756)

MAGC. Green Choice. You never did this?

Yes. All the time. And got 500 MR points each night.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 30116765)
I never did this. Half the time they just gave me the points anyway.

These things are peanuts compared to the promotions. I will be curious to see what happens to those over the next year or so. Many could be quite generous.

It was an average extra 10K points per month in my case, wich I consider very good.
Promotions from SPG... old times. Because the Marriott Style promotions like the last one are just a joke.
The spring one was not bad, but nothing compare to SPG.

When you are not from the US with points earn by CC, those peanuts means something at the end of the year, especially when you live full time in hotels.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp (Post 30116746)
Rip Spg, the greatest Hotel program of all time.

indeed, already missed (-

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 30116786)
Yes. All the time. And got 500 MR points each night.

Lucky you ;) usually properties forget to post them and you had to claim ))

sethMCOflyer Aug 22, 2018 2:25 pm

The other half did this in a residence inn during a 3 week stay, she had to put in a request weeks later to receive the points, and then only received a small amount. Upon inquiry they told her they limited it to 3 days a week... Any attempts to clarify where in the terms it said that were ignored. Great way to piss off customers over a paltry amount of points.

C17PSGR Aug 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30116620)
Just realised that the enhancement promised by Marriott goes with another HUGE cut : -67% for Make a Green Choice.
Previously 250 or 500 it is now 250 or 500, they earn the same number.
This was a great way to make some points for those without US credit card but now it's not as interesting as it used to be.

I will not use make a green choice anymore, was kind of "pain" and "work" to make some points, but I can tell you that I will request linen and all towels change every single day. Let's teach Marriott the right way!

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30116687)

Or ... we could just use housekeeping if we need it or get the 500 points a day if we don't ... no reason to create extra work -- or extra waste over a few points.

frenchft Aug 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer (Post 30116814)
The other half did this in a residence inn during a 3 week stay, she had to put in a request weeks later to receive the points, and then only received a small amount. Upon inquiry they told her they limited it to 3 days a week... Any attempts to clarify where in the terms it said that were ignored. Great way to piss off customers over a paltry amount of points.

with SPG the rules was the following (depending of properties) :
- some do not participate (mainly in Asia where housekeeping staff is super cheap, so cheaper for hotel to clean than pay for 500 points).
- some has the 2 days max rules
- most of the properties has the consecutive 3 days max rules.

And of course, no make a green choice the day of check in and check out ;)