Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another pathetic cut from marriott : Make a Green Choice >> -67%

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by strickerj

I tend to agree - I feel for workers having the rug yanked out from under them, but that doesn’t mean I want this sort of thing preached to me in what was supposed to be a strictly business transaction. Air your grievances on Facebook (or Flyertalk).
Agreed on the preaching but no need to worry about the workers. There's always a shortage of housekeepers so any savings in housekeeping hours just means less of a need for recruiting.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
This has been one of the issues in the strike ... UNITE Here is claiming MAGC is dangerous, seriously. Most hotels are short-staffed anyway so this doesn't have any actual impact on any current employees.
I laughed reading it, but I have to give you credit for the spin "Most hotels are short-staffed anyway so this doesn't have any actual impact on any current employees".
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I laughed reading it, but I have to give you credit for the spin "Most hotels are short-staffed anyway so this doesn't have any actual impact on any current employees".
It's not spin .... it's just a fact: "The US Bureau of Labor and Statistics estimates there were over 847,000 job openings in the leisure and hospitality industry as of April 2017."

https://osucascades.edu/sites/osucas...ortage_tmm.pdf

No housekeeping programs/incentives aren't unique to Marriott ... it's an industry wide trend. Obviously, there aren't any safety issues associated with it. I have no idea what percentage of the guests in a typical hotel skip housekeeping (most of my stays are just one nighters) but even if its 20 percent, that won't have much of an impact considering labor shortages, absenteeism, and employee turnover.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe Accor hotels have similar program.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
I regret it, and I do not like Marriott at all, I try to avoid Marriott hotels and try to book the former Starwood hotels. I know I am fooling myself since they have becom Marriott hotels. One can feel an different attitude at the reception, talking al lot about categories and rates, instead of looking at the wishes of a long term loyal guest. But I still opt for MAGC for our planet. Even when housekeeping is cleaning in a sustainable way, the wasmachines and ironmachines cost a lot of energy and it uses washpowder and liquids, withening etc etc. No, not every day all my linen of the bed washed.
But I do like it to have the housekeeping make up my bed and make to clean up my room / suite. But evertime I hear its not possible.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
It appears the MAGC benefit has gone from earning points for a maximum of 3 nights to earning points for a maximum of 2 nights. At least that’s what I’m seeing on the reservation I just did mobile check-in for.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia
It appears the MAGC benefit has gone from earning points for a maximum of 3 nights to earning points for a maximum of 2 nights. At least that’s what I’m seeing on the reservation I just did mobile check-in for.
Yup it went down. Not surprising, Marriott ruining even the little points you used to get. It's amazing how greedy this company is now. Well then again, maybe it isn't.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by ikwia
Originally Posted by mikebor
Yup it went down. Not surprising, Marriott ruining even the little points you used to get. It's amazing how greedy this company is now. Well then again, maybe it isn't.
I never really cared about the points, so no big deal. I'm perfectly capable of making my bed and keeping the room in good order for the duration of my stay. Even before MAGC I would tell the FDC at check-in to have housekeeping skip my room, then would hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and leave it there. I don't generally consider it good practice to give anyone reason to enter my room in my absence.

cheers!

Last edited by AAir_head; Mar 10, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Even thought I was doing the MAGC (want the points plus was just travelling this time myself) and thus didn't get housekeeping, someone did visit my room to drop off bottles of water.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:21 pm

Boy, I remember watching Arne when the merge first happened saying how great things are going to be...…….even better than what they were / are at the time; How much better the program is going to be...…..yada, yada, yada.

Always see him getting interviewed where the questions are planned etc., for the positive. Would love to see him sit down on National TV in front of real members and throw some questions his way with data to show how everything has gotten worse!

….I miss SPG soooooo much!
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
For those of you who do select MAGC, what do you do about tipping? About a year or so ago, I switched to daily tipping, instead of one bigger tip at the end of the stay (seems to reward the staff that actually did the work).

Now, with MAGC, on the last day (for a shorter stay) or on the "cleaning day" for longer stays, I still tip for the unserviced days, since I'm guessing the staff didn't get a raise to cover the rooms they're no longer cleaning. Or have the hotels gotten really good at predicting the number of MAGC rooms, so that the staff they do still employ still clean the same number of rooms as before?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
For those of you who do select MAGC, what do you do about tipping? About a year or so ago, I switched to daily tipping, instead of one bigger tip at the end of the stay (seems to reward the staff that actually did the work).

Now, with MAGC, on the last day (for a shorter stay) or on the "cleaning day" for longer stays, I still tip for the unserviced days, since I'm guessing the staff didn't get a raise to cover the rooms they're no longer cleaning. Or have the hotels gotten really good at predicting the number of MAGC rooms, so that the staff they do still employ still clean the same number of rooms as before?
I tip daily, but I've found the skipping to be unpredictable, so I leave a tip out each day. If they do it right and skip, the money should still be there when I return. I don't know about the algorithms Marriott might use to figure out how many staff to keep on hand, so I don't try to make up for non-cleaning days.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Or have the hotels gotten really good at predicting the number of MAGC rooms, so that the staff they do still employ still clean the same number of rooms as before?
This. One of the big gripes during the strikes was that Marriott was cutting hours and changing schedules based on declined housekeeping. Based on MAGC and checkouts, they have a rough idea of the number of rooms needing to be cleaned.

I don't. I think the concept of tipping is stupid. and keep the DND tag up the entire time as well.

That said, I do tip in cases where exceptional service is provided or to positions where tips are part of the wage such as waitstaff. I don't tip the check in person on a regular basis either and I don't think most do either.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I do make a green choice at every hotel where it's offered. Out of the past 20 times, I have NEVER gotten the points automatically. Each one takes 3-4 weeks of chasing via Twitter. Definitely a bait and switch program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.