Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To view your cumulative years of status at each level, log into your Marriott or SPG account and then visit https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...ightDetails.mi

Until you merge accounts, the summary will show only the stats for whichever legacy program account you’re logged into (and not your combined totals in the new program).

Why does my Marriott lifetime elite total show several years of Plat status? I was Gold in the past, but never earned Plat.
Confusingly, Marriott has changed the terminology for elite levels in the new program. In the past, Gold meant you had 50+ nights in one year; going forward, Gold is the 25-night level & members who stay 50+ nights are Plat.

As a result, all prior years at the old, harder-to-earn Gold level are treated as Plat in the new program. Here’s how Starwood Lurker explained things in the wiki (FAQ B4) at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...tml#lifeheader:
Past years at applicable Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards Elite Night levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Silver Elite (10 nights) Years count as Silver Elite
Years at Gold Elite (50 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Elite (75 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
Years at Platinum Premier Elite (unpublished) Years count as Platinum Elite
Past years in SPG Elite levels will be counted in the following way:
Previous Member Level -> New Member Tenure Level
Years at Gold Preferred (25 nights) Years count as Gold Elite
Years at Platinum Preferred (50/75/100 nights) Years count as Platinum Elite
The years that members achieved Elite status due to credit cards will count towards Lifetime status.
Print Wikipost

Years of status is available

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Is it known exactly how they count the current year, and exactly how they count a year of a taste of gold challenge?

I started my life as Gold in MR with taste of gold challenge, that I completed. Since then mainly MR gold, with a couple of platinum years thrown in. If the first year is not included in the count, and 2018 is not included in the count, it stacks up with the number of platinum years shown bow. If one or both should be included it does not stack up. (currently at 60 nights for 2018)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by kklems
Do these totals include this year as well?
It would appear so. I went back and figured out how many years I should have based on my old reservation emails, and including this year I should have 8 years for everything. And in fact, my account shows 8 years at each level. But I suppose that's just an educated guess at this point
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:49 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
When I log in to my Marriott account and navigate to this page, I see my Marriott lifetime numbers, but do not see my Starwood numbers.
Can someone help me determine how I can view my Starwood numbers also on the same page?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by yrs
When I log in to my Marriott account and navigate to this page, I see my Marriott lifetime numbers, but do not see my Starwood numbers.
Can someone help me determine how I can view my Starwood numbers also on the same page?
To get your Starwood numbers you will have to logout of your Marriott account and then login back in from the Starwood site (https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?...spg&reset=true). When you get to the Starwood screen to login, make sure to click "Clear Remembered User" before logging in, otherwise, it will just take you to your Marriott account. Alternately you can use Incognito in Chrome or Private Browsing in Firefox to avoid the "Remembered" account problem. Once logged into the SPG side the lifetime numbers are in the same place.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Looks like they're definitely not done yet. My SPG account says it has 29 nights and that my last activity was on 3/1. I didn't even create an SPG account until April. Despite that the lifetime stats page shows that I have 58 lifetime nights, and 1 year of platinum even though I'm still 2 stays short of earning it for the year.

On the Marriott side, while it correctly shows that I have 120 lifetime nights, it doesn't include any years of status where I should have 2 - one for a challenge, and a second for 50+ nights this year.

The other interesting thing that I saw is that the nights for the Ambassador status don't appear to include any nights that I received through the legacy Marriott credit card for $3000s of spend. This one won't end up mattering much to me this year though as I'm going to fall far short of the $20,000 spend.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:37 pm

I'll weigh in with what I'm observing on my account, maybe it'll be useful information for others experiencing similar issues.

I've been a MR member since 2009, and with the exception of my first year (registered December, hit Silver), I've held Platinum (now Plat Premier) status every year. As it stands currently, Marriott is recognizing 7 years Platinum status (and 8 years of Silver or higher). If they are not counting nights from this year (for 2019 status), I'd except that number to be 9 years Platinum (and 10 years Silver+). If they are counting this year and what I'd qualify for in 2019, it ought to be 10 Platinum (and 11 Silver+).

I'm hesitant to even merge my SPG account with my Marriott account until that is all sorted out. My SPG account correctly has 2 years of Platinum, so no worries there. The issue just seems to be on the MR side, and I sincerely hope they get it sorted without me having to spend a pile of time on the phone trying to resolve it, particularly since the LTPP tier is only a grandfathered situation.

Last edited by fluxtravels; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I have the following, so I can't figure out why I don't have LT Gold status already. Combined I should have Platinum, yet I only have Silver and NOT LT.

Achieving lifetime status
Lifetime Silver Elite
250 Lifetime Nights + 5 Years Elite Status
Lifetime Gold Elite
400 Lifetime Nights + 7 Years Gold Elite Status or Higher
Lifetime Platinum Elite
600 Lifetime Nights + 10 Years Platinum Elite Status

Scratching my head at this.

Lifetime Status

Your lifetime statistics from Marriott
Nights: 412
Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 13
Years as Gold or Platinum: 9
Years as Platinum: 9

Your lifetime statistics from SPG
Nights: 128
Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 3
Years as Gold or Platinum: 3
Years as Platinum: 3

Last edited by vandesa; Aug 19, 2018 at 11:22 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by vandesa
I have the following, so I can't figure out why I don't have LT Gold status already. Combined I should have Platinum, yet I only have Silver and NOT LT.

Lifetime Silver Elite
Lifetime Gold Elite
Lifetime Platinum Elite

Lifetime Status

The accounts haven't been combined yet. Give them a month to get it all done, it's just been not even two weekend-days.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC

Lifetime Silver Elite
Lifetime Gold Elite
Lifetime Platinum Elite

Lifetime Status

Same here. Should have been LT Gold already but I don't even have LT Silver. Very frustrating. As some pointed out, it's a low priority issue. I hope they figure it out sometime next year.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
Originally Posted by Smiley90
The accounts haven't been combined yet. Give them a month to get it all done, it's just been not even two weekend-days.
My point was I should already be LT Gold. I am not. This is even before the two are combined.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
I don't suppose there's any way -- without calling, which for the foreseeable future will probably be a nightmare for them and for me -- to know which years are being counted? I had calculated that my combined years of Platinum would be seven, including qualifying year 2018 (for program year 2019) for which I have earned legacy MR Plat status on nights but have legacy Starwood Plat status only through linking my accounts. So I had reserved a series of one-night stays at legacy Starwood properties so as to reach Starwood Platinum by December 31. That would put me at eight years, and since I have over 600 nights I would be able to achieve Lifetime Platinum in only two more years. But when I got access to the two new apps yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to see that the total of my Starwood and legacy Marriott platinum years is already 8. I had the same number of Marriott years as I had calculated, but one more Starwood year. So here's my question: if the extra Starwood year is one from a long time ago that I'd forgotten about, then I definitely want to achieve 25 stays this year to give me a combined total of 9 Platinum years once I merge my accounts. But if for some reason they've already given me credit for this year (earning year 2018/program year 2019), then I presumably won't get another year by completing my 25 stays. I can always wait until the dust settles and then call for the answer, but I have several stays in the next two weeks that will cost me hundreds of dollars and many thousands of points. Some of these stays are necessary for the trip I'm on, but others are optional, so it would make a big difference to know whether they'll do me any good. Thanks so much for any insights, helpful hints, or (even better) information you might have.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
In my case, it looks like SPG is counting all my Platinum years correctly (6), however MR is not counting the current year: it gives me 3 years of Platinum, and I reached 100+ nights this year, which would make me Plat for 4th year.

The only 'authoritative' definition I find of status years is in the T&Cs:
---
An “Eligible Status Year” is a calendar year during which a Member obtained Elite membership status (Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite) by achieving the Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Minimum Requirement during such Eligible Status Year. Only a calendar year in which a Member achieves Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Status, as described in the prior sentence, will count as an Eligible Status Year, regardless of the length of time that such Member will retain the benefits of Elite membership Status. For example, if a Member meets the Gold Elite Minimum Requirement during the 2018 Eligible Status Year by earning twenty-five (25) Eligible Nights and becomes a Gold Elite Member for the remainder of 2018 and for all of 2019, 2018 will count as a single Eligible Status Year, but 2019 will not count as an Eligible Status Year unless the Member meets the Gold Elite Minimum Requirement during the 2019 Eligible Status Year.
---

My interpretation of the definition is that every time someone achieves the Platinum requirements, it counts as a status year. But as I mentioned above, the count I see in MR does not match this.

I can see several explanations for the mismatch, but have no way to know which is the true one:
- Systems might yet have to be fully updated and they will count the current year eventually
- It could be that 'eligible status' year is only kept internally by MR, but what they show on the web/app is not the eligible status year but something else (ie. do not count the current year)
- My interpretation above is not correct

Does anyone can help with clarifying? Any authoritative answer from MR/FAQ/Lurkers around that would help?
For me (and others), this is quite important, as it has an impact on lifetime status.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
My point was I should already be LT Gold. I am not. This is even before the two are combined.
It used to be, pre-Merge, that Marriott would only periodically do "sweeps" for lifetime updates. If this is still the case, they may be waiting until after they have all the kinks and issues from this weekend's merge taken care of, before they run another lifetime update sweep.

Also, what is interesting is my new converted SPG->MR account, I used to be LT Gold (within the SPG program). But my new converted account shows that I have the necessary elite years and nights, but doesn't show my LT Gold status in the new combined program (as it should). So I'm guessing they are still working through getting all the LT statuses correctly reflected.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Same here. I'm not showing any LT status yet, even though the app shows I'm well past the threshold for LT silver, and the link from the wiki shows I've hit the marks for LT plat. (Both from the legacy MR side alone).

My assumption is that the rollout is ongoing, and my new lifetime status will show up in the next few days. My advice is to wait and let it resolve itself. Only if you have a stay this week, and are waiting for a LT status higher than what you have now, would I bother with a phone call.

As an aside, I don't have all the data points from all the threads, but it appears only those who had LT status before the weekend have LT status showing/updated. Is there anyone who didn't have status, who now has a new status showing, or who can even view the status counters via the web site (without using the wiki link)?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:49 am

Is there anyone who can figure out definitively if their years of status as shown on the new Marriott app includes (or doesn't include) buy-backs and/or soft landings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.