Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Of all the benefits that are offered the suite upgrade, to me,seems the most useless. What is the benefit of a bigger room over a normal room if I’m staying alone in a room on a business trip? Is it purely a status thing? The lounge access and breakfast benefits at least offer some tangible bonus, i.e. free food and drinks. Why is a larger room important at all?
Sounds like Marriott was the right chain for you then! ^
Sabai and remymartin like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Of all the benefits that are offered the suite upgrade, to me,seems the most useless. What is the benefit of a bigger room over a normal room if I’m staying alone in a room on a business trip? Is it purely a status thing? The lounge access and breakfast benefits at least offer some tangible bonus, i.e. free food and drinks. Why is a larger room important at all?
1. many people dont travel alone on short business trips.

2. would you want to live in a 200 sq ft home, regardless of how many people you live with, with a view of a brick wall and nothing else? More space, nicer amenities, a good view, are all nice things to have. they might not make you have a full belly, but they make a trip more enjoyable.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I find it interesting how many people don't care about suites - by far suite upgrades are more important to me than other plat benefits except maybe breakfast ( if Asia and full buffet etc).

Wish Marriott could figure a way to give suites to people who really care and still be fair to everyone, ie not diminish benefits for others.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP

Wish Marriott could figure a way to give suites to people who really care and still be fair to everyone, ie not diminish benefits for others.
Hyatt has done this with their 4 suite upgrades (4 stays, not nights) confirmable if space is available at booking. I also don't care about a suite with all my work trips but when i go on vacation i find a hotel where I can use my confirmable upgrade certificates. It's worked out quite well and I've always gotten a suite (and not had to worry about it) when I am on vacation with family.

SPG Suite Night Awards are a very very VERY poor attempt to mimic this as it's still a roll of the dice and it's night-based not stay-based. But at least it allows people to try to get to the front of the line when it really counts. One thing that I don't believe happens is that the front desk can see who requests an SNA at check-in. I believe they get redeposited if not confirmed day before. Would be good if that visibility and priority carried over until someone checked in as things change throughout the day of check-in. Of course delivering the same product as Hyatt's suite awards would be best outcome.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Some suites also offer amenities that aren't available in smaller rooms in the same hotel. At my usual haunt, these include a living area with a decent sofa and TV at which you can properly unwind, a well-appointed workstation, a great aerial view of a national park, a bathtub (standalone, no less) and three extra showerheads in the shower.

On a more human level, when you are at the same hotel 80+ nights a year, it's just nice to have a bit more living space in which you can stretch out and pace when you feel like it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boolean64
SPG Suite Night Awards are a very very VERY poor attempt to mimic this as it's still a roll of the dice and it's night-based not stay-based. But at least it allows people to try to get to the front of the line when it really counts.
Pretty sure SNAs pre-date the Hyatt DSUs, so no mimicking there.

Also IIRC with SPG one was eligible for suites on any stay (SNA or not) whereas pre-WOH Hyatt elites weren't eligible for suites.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
3/3 upgrades since 8/18 including 2 suites. Not complaining
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Also IIRC with SPG one was eligible for suites on any stay (SNA or not) whereas pre-WOH Hyatt elites weren't eligible for suites.
HYATT gave me a number of suites as a Diamond at stays where I hadn't used DSUs. AFAIK suite upgrades were a published benefit if available at check in.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:02 pm

Now we are getting off topic, but Hyatt definitely did not offer complimentary suite upgrades as part of the program pre-WOH. But DSUs were in place instead...for this very point...we won't offer a suite to you at check in all the time, but we will offer you the ability to confirm at booking up to four times when it really matters to you. Many hyatts offered suite upgrades even though they didn't have to pre-WOH.

I am pretty sure DSUs pre-dated SNAs. I remember SNAs being introduced as somewhat of a response to DSUs. But i have no way of knowing for sure.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boolean64

I am pretty sure DSUs pre-dated SNAs. I remember SNAs being introduced as somewhat of a response to DSUs. But i have no way of knowing for sure.
Correct. I remember my first years on FT with SPG, how the Hyatt people would always whine on the SPG forum how Hyatt offered them these guaranteed suite upgrades. Hyatt did it first!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Correct. I remember my first years on FT with SPG, how the Hyatt people would always whine on the SPG forum how Hyatt offered them these guaranteed suite upgrades. Hyatt did it first!
SPG introduced SNAs in 2012...the earliest link I can find about Hyatt DSUs is 2014. Correct me if I'm wrong if it started earlier.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPG introduced SNAs in 2012...the earliest link I can find about Hyatt DSUs is 2014. Correct me if I'm wrong if it started earlier.
I'm not going to look for it, but I distinctly remember CheapElite/Kennected constantly comparing Hyatt to SPG and saying Hyatt was so much better than SPG because of the DSUs.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Way earlier. I first qualified for HGP Diamond in 2010 and remember that was the first year DSUs were digital. Paper upgrade vouchers existed before that.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 9, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:01 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I am 1:6 on upgrades since the merger. 2:6 if you count a high floor as an upgrade when standard suites were available (Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre). As for the talk about SNAs, Starwood half-baked the scheme. They were supposed to devalue their programme in line with Hilton and Marriott, but that would’ve negatively affected their bottom-line. SNAs were essentially worthless to some members who were doing “well” with the old programme (me, read: upgrade rate of 25-33% per annum vs the current 17%). Now, SNAs are gold and must be used in a conservative manner.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm 100 percent on suite upgrades at legacy Marriott properties since 8/18.

I'm sure I'll break my streak this week since I'm at a couple of properties with 300 rooms and 3 suites.

Overall this year with 100 actual nights, I'm above 40 percent suite upgrades for legacy Marriott properties and 10 percent for legacy SPG properties. Of course, its all property dependent as these upgrade decisions are really being made at the property, and not by anyone at Marriott corporate. Some GM's and franchises do better than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.