Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Why dont new MR just copy and paste SPG upgrade policy?
Rather than try making a new convoluting policy that completely weaker?

I'm guessing because marriot bought out starwood, not the other way around.
the convoluted policy is pretty much the defacto reality of the previous spg policy...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Doesnt really matter on who bought who. As Marriott pretty much copy and paste SPG policy about SNA.

If the intention is mirror SPG policy on suite upgrade then just use SPG terms and condition.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Why dont new MR just copy and paste SPG upgrade policy?
Rather than try making a new convoluting policy that completely weaker?

Like for breakfast, they don't want to deal with their 1000s of hotels owners. Those guys are the marriot clients, not us
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Doesnt really matter on who bought who. As Marriott pretty much copy and paste SPG policy about SNA.

If the intention is mirror SPG policy on suite upgrade then just use SPG terms and condition.
The intention is to placate the hotel owners and reduce their and Marriott’s costs of serving the higher status program elites without sparking an immediate and heavily-felt exodus of such loyalty program retail customers.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
The suite upgrades are one of the main reasons I choose Starwood as my chain of choice. I will see how they are with the upgrades for the first few months and then make a decision on whether it’s time to move my business to another chain.
remymartin and supatight80 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tfong007
The suite upgrades are one of the main reasons I choose Starwood as my chain of choice. I will see how they are with the upgrades for the first few months and then make a decision on whether it’s time to move my business to another chain.
The legacy practice of Starwood hotels and the Marriott properties that got in the habit of being good to customers about suite upgrades may remain in practice for quite some time; but in policy customers may not have as much of a hook to hang their hat when disappointed about changed hotel upgrade practice.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by tfong007
126 Hilton nights and counting so far. Previous max was 42 stays, 68 nights.

I am SPG LTP and will be LTPP when ever they get around to awarding it. While I would love to go back to Hyatt, the footprint is just too small based on my current business.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Good discussion going on at OMAAT

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...pgrade-policy/

We should have known better...
No different than Marriott’s late checkout policy; SPG guaranteed it (even for SPG AX card holders) while this new and wonderous conglomerate has already clawed that back for all but top-tier members.

The gutting continues apace.

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As the OP I requested a closure of this thread as Marriott indicated the positive change was coming. On this one issue at least, I do think it is fair to trust them at their word.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

As the OP I requested a closure of this thread as Marriott indicated the positive change was coming. On this one issue at least, I do think it is fair to trust them at their word.
Unless and until “the positive change” comes, this thread has a reason to be active as the topic is one of relevance to this forum.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Unless and until “the positive change” comes, this thread has a reason to be active as the topic is one of relevance to this forum.
I hear you, but it's not going to change at legacy Marriott properties overnight.

I started this thread when the bloggers picked up on the fact that the upgrade T&Cs posted were the (less friendly) Marriott ones vs. the (more friendly to us) Starwood ones. But then Marriott specifically indicated yesterday (in a matter of hours, after those posts went up) that it was their intentions were to move to the Starwood "way".

I've been plenty critical of Marriott of other things (and have praised others), but think a lot of this could be discussed in the master thread now.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I hear you, but it's not going to change at legacy Marriott properties overnight.

I started this thread when the bloggers picked up on the fact that the upgrade T&Cs posted were the (less friendly) Marriott ones vs. the (more friendly to us) Starwood ones. But then Marriott specifically indicated yesterday (in a matter of hours, after those posts went up) that it was their intentions were to move to the Starwood "way".

I've been plenty critical of Marriott of other things (and have praised others), but think a lot of this could be discussed in the master thread now.
If their real intentions were to move the Starwood way then why not change the wording in the terms? I dont think it is that hard to do.

Understand with what's all going on right now but perhaps leave this thread open until such wording has changed?
dmodemd likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Because ..... it ........ won’t ...... work.

Marriott has dropped Plat nights from 75 to 50. The number of Plats will probably double, given additional earn options via Starwood hotels, and that is before adding SPG members. Big hotels will now have long lists of Plats per night. They are not all getting guaranteed suites. Marriott can write whatever rule it wants but the rooms are not there.

Who will be brave enough to suggest Plat goes back to 75?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Raffles
Because ..... it ........ won’t ...... work.

Marriott has dropped Plat nights from 75 to 50. The number of Plats will probably double, given additional earn options via Starwood hotels, and that is before adding SPG members. Big hotels will now have long lists of Plats per night. They are not all getting guaranteed suites. Marriott can write whatever rule it wants but the rooms are not there.

Who will be brave enough to suggest Plat goes back to 75?
no one is talking about guaranteed suits. but rather guaranteed suites IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE. If there are 50 plats and only 25 open suites obviously not everyone is going to get one. thats where space available comes in... but if it's guaranteed, then those 25 suites are going to be occupied. if it's not some might be left open.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
No way.... I would not believe their "intent" until they state that you get the best room (incl. suite) when you "check-in" (including MOBILE) AND provide a guarantee when you are not!
Marriott has provided guarantee terms before on other benefits where you get cold hard cash if a property does not meet it. We need the same thing on upgrades. If it shows for sale, we get it, no excuses.
If they can't provide that, then they can just continue to provide the same wishy-washy language about maybe getting some sort of "upgrade". That has been how it always has been with Marriott, so SPG folks, be prepared for that to be the new way.

I prefer to discuss this specific issue in this separate thread.
ronaldko and joakgarp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.