Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott baited and switched us on the upgrade policy

Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Good discussion going on at OMAAT

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...pgrade-policy/

We should have known better...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Good discussion going on at OMAAT

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...pgrade-policy/

We should have known better...
Posted on FT earlier too
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

As much as the SPG program was “guaranteed” I felt it was always at the properties discretion. I don’t think this “bait and switch” while change much of anything, the properties that upgrade will continue and the others that play fast and lose with upgrades won’t.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Posted on FT earlier too
didnt see any separate discussion of it

IMO very worthy of its own thread
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
ABSOLUTELY worthy of its own thread. Frankly, this is the exact stuff we SPG members have been paranoid Marriott would screw us on. Turns out--yet again--that we were right to distrust them.

To be fair, there were definitely SPG hotels who didn't abide by the suite upgrade rules, but there is NO reason for Marriott to water-down the language now except to screw top-tier members.

Feel free to add to my list but here are just a few things SPG lost:
1. Free lounge access at resorts ("resorts" was already a questionable status with SPG & Marriott)
2. SPG Lifetime status wasn't equal to Marriott (finally changed after massive SPG upheaval)
3. Significant dilution of point value, now that programs have merged
4. No more "award nights without blackouts"
5. As of 2019, award categories blown to hell, causing massive devaluation. Also "high" & "low" periods, which will be a further additional devaluation.
6. Suite upgrades no longer guaranteed at any SPG/Marriott property

Time will tell, but it seems crazy that Marriott thinks they'll hold onto SPG members. My guess is that we'll mostly move on to other programs like Hyatt now that top tier benefits of the new merged program are a joke.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And a positive update

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...omment-3992669

I won’t give kudos, as this would be JV stuff not to have clarified and updated by now, but at least it seems like the more consumer friendly language policy will win out.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Starwood offered top tier elite members upgrades to the best available room subject to availability, including suites
Yeah, OK ... been reciprocal Plat since 9/'16, and had a few SPG stays in that time and still had to beg for upgrades (i.e., the room I got after asking was better than the room they'd had set out for me at check-in), so I wouldn't go grabbing for pitchforks just yet.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, OK ... been reciprocal Plat since 9/'16, and had a few SPG stays in that time and still had to beg for upgrades (i.e., the room I got after asking was better than the room they'd had set out for me at check-in), so I wouldn't go grabbing for pitchforks just yet.
well you were also at the bottom of the Plat UG queue as any Marriott Plat was matched over as a base level Plat

and of course no SPG Plat gets upgrades 100% of the time
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Nobody mention the 1000 welcome points (was 500 spg = 1500) and the fact that I don't see any mention of make a green choice. Those are lost benefits.
makin'miles and yurtripper like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Totally agree that some LSPG properties were very good about upgrading Plats to suites, while others were not.

However, my impression is that SPG properties - as a whole - did a better job on Plat upgrades than Marriott properties, again as a whole.

IMHO, one big reason for that is the expectation set by SPG corporate - and communicated to GMs and guests. Unfortunately, I'm not confident Marriott is setting the same tone.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Totally agree that some LSPG properties were very good about upgrading Plats to suites, while others were not.

However, my impression is that SPG properties - as a whole - did a better job on Plat upgrades than Marriott properties, again as a whole.

IMHO, one big reason for that is the expectation set by SPG corporate - and communicated to GMs and guests. Unfortunately, I'm not confident Marriott is setting the same tone.
in the last 5 years, as a SPG plat ambassador, I got almost 90% upgrade (Europe / MEA / Asia).
Even in aloft I almost always have upgrade.
Properties who did not upgraded was either fully booked or either mentioned that they didn't have smoking room (what I request).
supatight80 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
I concur. it might ahve been a benefit, but in some instances you didnt get it. or you had to ask / haggle for it.
Those were rare, and often times you would get SOMETHING, but it wasnt an iron clad guarantee, but what I would call 'close enough'...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by moulder3
3. Significant dilution of point value, now that programs have merged
4. No more "award nights without blackouts"
3. Not seeing it yet. In 2019 you have a case, but how has the SPG point value decreased since the programs were initially allowed to be linked? The way I see it, the point value actually went up. Travel packages, 45k being the top level outside of Ritz, etc.

4. This hasn't changed. Check the new T&C, section 3.2.n. "No Blackout dates"
3.2.n. Blackout dates refer to a limited number of dates when a Participating Property could choose not to permit Members to redeem Points for Awards, but the Company has a “No Blackout Dates” benefit so that if there is a standard room available for booking by any means, whether by cash, credit or Points, then a Member can reserve the room using Points.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by frenchft
in the last 5 years, as a SPG plat ambassador, I got almost 90% upgrade (Europe / MEA / Asia).
Even in aloft I almost always have upgrade.
Properties who did not upgraded was either fully booked or either mentioned that they didn't have smoking room (what I request).
Agreed in ME/Asia/SA. I was 50% in Europe/Australia as Plat Amb and less than 25% in US. Some regions are better than others for upgrades... in major cities in US (SF/Boston), upgrades are hard to come by
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Why dont new MR just copy and paste SPG upgrade policy?
Rather than try making a new convoluting policy that completely weaker?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.