Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
If as seems expected this ends up only netting 1 EQN per 20 actualized rooms for any events beyond the first, it's very little incentive to choose Marriott/SPG properties to hold small events (beyond the first, anyway).

I have participated in/hosted many more events with fewer than 20 people than events with 20 or more. As one who's been almost exclusively loyal to Marriott for 20+ years, I was very pleased to discover the Rewarding Events program as a way to maintain status (by choosing to host an off-site meeting with just myself and 1-5 others). I am perhaps not typical, but depending on how the program ends up this may be a big disincentive for me to choose one of their properties for any need at all since I'll end up as either LTG or LTP in the new program regardless and won't have elite requalification to drive the decision (I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years, but really have no record of how many consecutive years I've been Platinum).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AAir_head
If as seems expected this ends up only netting 1 EQN per 20 actualized rooms for any events beyond the first, it's very little incentive to choose Marriott/SPG properties to hold small events (beyond the first, anyway).

I have participated in/hosted many more events with fewer than 20 people than events with 20 or more. As one who's been almost exclusively loyal to Marriott for 20+ years, I was very pleased to discover the Rewarding Events program as a way to maintain status (by choosing to host an off-site meeting with just myself and 1-5 others). I am perhaps not typical, but depending on how the program ends up this may be a big disincentive for me to choose one of their properties for any need at all since I'll end up as either LTG or LTP in the new program regardless and won't have elite requalification to drive the decision (I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years, but really have no record of how many consecutive years I've been Platinum).
The reduction in event rewards is not insignificant--but it's still better than what is otherwise offered by:

World of Hyatt (you'd need to have 20 qualifying meetings or spend $100,000 with non-stay meetings to achieve Globalist status)

Hilton (no elite nights earning possible with meetings or groups)

IHG (no elite nights earning possible with meetings or groups)
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by AAir_head
...since I'll end up as either LTG or LTP in the new program regardless and won't have elite requalification to drive the decision (I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years, but really have no record of how many consecutive years I've been Platinum).
You appear to have some misunderstanding...

I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years... This should make you LTPP in the new program. Even if you are not currently MR LTP (lacking 2mm LT points) which would qualify for LTPP immediately when the new program starts when the sweep is done in Jan '19 you will have the nights and years needed, since both MR LTG and LTP years count towards the ten needed for LTPP in the new program.

consecutive years... There is no requirement for consecutive years. You need ten years at the fifty or higher level but not ten consecutive years.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by phltraveler
So there's basically two schools of thought as I've read the thread over again.

1) First (in members.marriott.com and the post-merger T&Cs upthread, post #28 ) means first, as in only the first meeting. Whether that means "First ever" or first per program year remains to be seen, as the language doesn't define it. Then all meetings, including every subsequent meeting (either ever or program year) can still earn points through related bookings - 1 EQN per 20 related room booking nights, up to 20 nights maximum.

2) The alternative proposed by @RogerD408 (and backed by some others) is that the first meeting language applies to the first meeting on a contract getting 10 nights and then also offering the 1 bonus EQN for 20 room related nights, up to 20 nights total per contact between the 10 EQNs for the meeting and another 10 for the room related night bookings.
I read that T&C as no.1 ... and for the first meeting, i'm guessing on first meeting of each year.

Old MR did prominently show the tier requirements in number of meetings as well (1 meeting for silver, 5 meetings for gold and plenty of meetings for plt and so on)
Since new program didnt even mention that in the tier requirements chart, I can only guess new program is not as generous with eqn for meeting
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS Peon
(I disagree with this thread being closed, but was directed here so I guess I'll post my question here.)

I booked 6 meetings, 2 each on Wed/Thu/Fri last week. Only 5 charges have posted on my card so far and no points or nights at all. Yesterday I reached out to my contact at the hotel and asked if they could send me a final bill and let me know when I could expect the points and nights to post to my account. My contact directed me to the events manager at the hotel, who has an automatic reply set up saying she won't be back until 8/20.

Should I just hang tight and hope I'll be able to fight for the nights I'm supposed to get post-8/18? Or should I push my contact (Sales Manager, according to her email signature) to use the GPT or something else?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
(I disagree with this thread being closed, but was directed here so I guess I'll post my question here.)

I booked 6 meetings, 2 each on Wed/Thu/Fri last week. Only 5 charges have posted on my card so far and no points or nights at all. Yesterday I reached out to my contact at the hotel and asked if they could send me a final bill and let me know when I could expect the points and nights to post to my account. My contact directed me to the events manager at the hotel, who has an automatic reply set up saying she won't be back until 8/20.

Should I just hang tight and hope I'll be able to fight for the nights I'm supposed to get post-8/18? Or should I push my contact (Sales Manager, according to her email signature) to use the GPT or something else?
You booked and had the events BEFORE the new rules apply; you should have no issue with getting credit for 60 nights and the concomitant points based on the old rules.

However, be aware that events/meetings do not post nearly as quickly all the time as do regular room nights, even with SPG (which seems faster than Marriott based on reports in this Forum). So I would give it some time. Also, the changeover on Aug 18 inevitably is going to cause some chaos, so you can expect there to be delays and problems as a result. You just need to be patient--especially so since you booked your events so close to the changeover!
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:44 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by bhrubin
You booked and had the events BEFORE the new rules apply; you should have no issue with getting credit for 60 nights and the concomitant points based on the old rules.

However, be aware that events/meetings do not post nearly as quickly all the time as do regular room nights, even with SPG (which seems faster than Marriott based on reports in this Forum). So I would give it some time. Also, the changeover on Aug 18 inevitably is going to cause some chaos, so you can expect there to be delays and problems as a result. You just need to be patient--especially so since you booked your events so close to the changeover!
Given that you have booked & completed your meetings before 18th Aug 2018, i suggest you keep the contracts/documentations first and just hang tight while Marriott figures out the migration.
Good Luck!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:44 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Ok somehow all my nights finally posted so i went from Gold (3 days ago) to Plat. I guess this is somewhat a happy problem for me.
Initially i was hoping to cross the 75th night after the merge which will take me to platinum premier in the new program (and with it as someone suggested, the possibility to get Suite Night Awards)

See u guys after the merge!

Venezuela-Miami and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Meeting on this week Wednesday, nights and points were on account today.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

oh my god, marriott will reveal the new terms when they do
all this arguing over vague T&C's don't really do anything
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
create multiple accounts, do one meeting on each for 10 elite nights, merge accounts.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
create multiple accounts, do one meeting on each for 10 elite nights, merge accounts.
I'm sure that would cause a red flag and cause all accounts to be flagged as being fraudulent--in which case you'd likely lose all credit anyway. I wouldn't recommend it.
C17PSGR, cruisr, sdsearch and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm sure that would cause a red flag and cause all accounts to be flagged as being fraudulent--in which case you'd likely lose all credit anyway. I wouldn't recommend it.
Is it in your personal interest that access to elite level is harder for other people ?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Is it in your personal interest that access to elite level is harder for other people ?
No, of course not. But I certainly wouldn't want to encourage anyone to do something that I honestly believe could get themselves into trouble they hadn't anticipated!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Marriott is making it harder to access elite levels, not FlyerTalk!
phltraveler and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.