Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Times Square EDITION - New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Times Square EDITION - New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by WasKnown
I was there less than 2 weeks ago with a friend that was coming in for the weekend lol. It is *not* the opposite in our experience, and I don’t know why you would try to dispute this without even having a recent stay at the hotel.

The bar was completely understaffed with ridiculous wait times to even close out. I felt bad for the workers there. The hotel was fine. I don’t think it’s anything special but OP seemed to be asking about any changes to the hotel. It is truly fine. Housekeeping offered, staff handling requests in a timely manner, etc. This was never a 5 star/luxury hotel. The rooms were clean and their suites are just tiny junior suites. Not sure what you think is so wrong with the hotel rn relative to what it was offering before.
I dispute it based on my own experience and the experiences of others in this thread. And your experience could be a one off. Or possibly they have a permanent staffing problem. I don't know. But you can't change the tiny room size of most all the rooms. Nor the near impossibility of expecting an elite upgrade. Unlike several other Edition hotels. None of this matters anyways as the hotel has an undefined future.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:14 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
I dispute it based on my own experience and the experiences of others in this thread. And your experience could be a one off. Or possibly they have a permanent staffing problem. I don't know. But you can't change the tiny room size of most all the rooms. Nor the near impossibility of expecting an elite upgrade. Unlike several other Edition hotels. None of this matters anyways as the hotel has an undefined future.
Did you even read the question I was responding to? OP asked for recent stay experiences and about service/staffing levels. That is the context I provided lol. It doesn’t matter if the hotel or bar were doing XYZ before, the purpose was to provide *recent* experiences
jaejaez likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
A couple of comments after our stay this weekend:

- Nice common spaces but I hate the two elevator banks set up where you have to take the one elevator to the lobby from the entrance and then take another bank up to the rooms. This works in hotels like the W TS with large lobbies but the problem is that the lobby at the Edition is not large and gets very busy with people waiting to check in as well as waiting for the elevator and when you add in luggage carts you have way too much going on in the small space.
- Very annoying that they did not have anyone working the doors to access the hotel from the street. The doors are huge and weigh a ton and people were struggling to get them open. Any hotel with a high-end feel should have a doorman!
- There is construction on BOTH the 47th and 48th sides of the hotel. Luckily I had heard about the construction on the 47th side and asked at check-in to be on the other side. The agent was nice and said I will try and get you towards Broadway since there is also construction on the other side. Construction on the 47th side seemed to go on at hours past 9-5 since they were still working and drilling when we got back to dinner. This has to be a big issue for the hotel and I can't even imaging the number of guest complaining about the noise.
- We didn't interact much with the staff outside of breakfast so I cannot comment about service levels. Breakfast staff was friendly but not overly quick or personable.
- For me the biggest problem with this hotel is the size of the room and the lack of functionality of the decor of the rooms. It's bad enough when the rooms are tiny but when you have one hook for towels (and no other place to put them) in a King bed room then that is a problem. Other examples are when the room has 3 small drawers in the entire room and 1 is filled with a safe and the other has stuff like a blow dryer in it. I can give numerous other examples like NO iron or ironing board since the closet is minuscule, etc., etc.. I also think the decor will not age well and it definitely didn't feel high-end...more like a nicer version of Ikea furniture in a light wood finish.
- Lack of upkeep and attention to detail was already clearly evident and this is unacceptable. For a hotel that charges $500-1000 for a room these things just shouldn't happen. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and I've had my fair share of frayed towels but at a property that Marriott ranks as "luxury" this shouldn't be the case. I can get a pull but all four corners had huge frays.

In summary, we would NOT stay here again given all the other options in the city. I wanted to check it out and once was enough. Was it bad? No...but it definitely wasn't good and the form over function and lack of attention to detail will keep us from coming back.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 13, 2021 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Just had a quick one-night stay using 50K certificate from Ritz credit card. Got upgraded at the front desk as a Gold to a time square view room at high floor.
--The view is great, though if you would like to 'feel' time square, you should ask for a lower level room, since at higher lever you cannot see much, but I liked it as it is pretty quite and you can even see the hudson river.
--The room is small but I still quite like it due the ceiling to door window and a comfortable king bed. It did feel like an Edition with the nice small tough and the minimalist interior design.
--The front desk and house keeping staff is professional and was quick to my requests, so a big plus.
--The location is unbeatable if you go for a broadway show or linger around the time square area. Right across the street from NQR subway line.
--Great values with 50K points redemption which you can use your certificates
--Toured the bar and restaurants but did not dine there

Some issues though,
-As mentioned by christianj the issue at the ground level with only a few doorman is weird. Sometimes there is someone there opening the door for you, but most of the time there is no one and the door is super heavy.
-small size of the room. I came with little luggage, but I could totally see this a problem with huge luggages since there would be little space to open it. But this is NYC, so this was kind of expected.
-The construction right across 47 could be an issue, but since we got a time square facing room, it did not bother us.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by flyingeverywhere1
Just had a quick one-night stay using 50K certificate from Ritz credit card. Got upgraded at the front desk as a Gold to a time square view room at high floor.
--The view is great, though if you would like to 'feel' time square, you should ask for a lower level room, since at higher lever you cannot see much, but I liked it as it is pretty quite and you can even see the hudson river.
--The room is small but I still quite like it due the ceiling to door window and a comfortable king bed. It did feel like an Edition with the nice small tough and the minimalist interior design.
--The front desk and house keeping staff is professional and was quick to my requests, so a big plus.
--The location is unbeatable if you go for a broadway show or linger around the time square area. Right across the street from NQR subway line.
--Great values with 50K points redemption which you can use your certificates
--Toured the bar and restaurants but did not dine there

Some issues though,
-As mentioned by christianj the issue at the ground level with only a few doorman is weird. Sometimes there is someone there opening the door for you, but most of the time there is no one and the door is super heavy.
-small size of the room. I came with little luggage, but I could totally see this a problem with huge luggages since there would be little space to open it. But this is NYC, so this was kind of expected.
-The construction right across 47 could be an issue, but since we got a time square facing room, it did not bother us.
Am going to write up a longer review, but just stayed here and same feeling, though doormen were always there for me. Worth noting that room service dinner was EXCELLENT.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Does anyone have the contact details for the general manager here? I had a very unpleasant check in experience involving a lower tier manager and my email to the front of house manager has gone unanswered thus far.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
SMH, the EDITION is stealing pillow cases from the Ritz-Carlton. I'm going to ask for a refund :-)
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Very nice!

Okay, I didn't get a suite upgrade and there isn't breakfast. Still, I enjoyed the product here and would return depending on the price.

I was upgraded at check-in to a Premier Times Square King on the 37th of 40 floors. Of course, at this floor, the view was mostly of the TSX construction site, but you could see all of the people in Times Square as well as the tip of One Vanderbilt on the other direction. The room is small, but I've had worse in NYC. I actually really enjoyed the design with the light woods and minimalist look. There was a small leather chair in addition to a desk chair - it was comfy but the ottoman slid too easily on the floor. The bed was great - I love faux fur and have lots of faux fur at home, so I enjoyed the throw. The pillows were fantastic and non-lumpy - the mattress wasn't overly plush but was good for NYC. The TV had the Internet TV OS. The bathroom had lots of counter space and the shower was great with good flow and pressure. The Nespresso machine worked well.

I did not partake in dining here and used the lack of Elite breakfast as an excuse to get some chocolate chip pancakes at Clinton Street Baking Company.

While I don't like Times Square, I enjoyed the hotel's proximity to the BDFM trains at 47th Street Rockefeller.

The service itself was friendly - I didn't ask about suites. They proactively mentioned finding me the best room and proactively asked about late checkout. No issue with 4 PM.

Again, the product and design was solid and unique enough to make it an enjoyable stay despite the deficit in Elite benefits.

dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
FYI all the rooms are the same below Balcony Suite - only the floor number differs, so there is no real upgrade if you don’t get a suite, unless you like a slightly different view of Times Square. I found the Premier room far too small for a couple (and BA had lost one of our suitcases, which actually helped as there’s no real storage space at all). The hotel will only upgrade higher tier elites to Balcony suites, not Premier Balcony suites - ironically these “suite” (by the admission of a manager they are actually junior suites) types differ only by floor number as well. I have no idea why they didn’t build any loft rooms.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
FYI all the rooms are the same below Balcony Suite - only the floor number differs, so there is no real upgrade if you don’t get a suite, unless you like a slightly different view of Times Square. I found the Premier room far too small for a couple (and BA had lost one of our suitcases, which actually helped as there’s no real storage space at all). The hotel will only upgrade higher tier elites to Balcony suites, not Premier Balcony suites - ironically these “suite” (by the admission of a manager they are actually junior suites) types differ only by floor number as well. I have no idea why they didn’t build any loft rooms.
Glad to hear that suite upgrades for Elites are possible! This thread had made me assume they were not.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Glad to hear that suite upgrades for Elites are possible! This thread had made me assume they were not.
In reality, they are not easily attained. The actual number of Balcony suites is very low and they get a huge amount of elites there, with current demand also being very high in general. I did get upgraded for my last night to a Balcony suite (ironically it was a Premier based on the floor number), which was after I had a discussion with a senior manager - this discussion also yielded insights into their upgrade process and elite numbers. Unfortunately I dealt with an unpleasant junior manager at check in and my email to their boss got lost in the ether - when the boss got my email from another source, they reacted very well and service recovery was solid. The suite was a very nice junior suite.

As an aside, I didn’t like that the Premier Balcony room we initially inhabited had an interconnecting door, especially as it was so small. Something to be aware of - I know it doesn’t bother some people but I’ve had bad experiences with these doors and noise at other hotels.
Kacee and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does this hotel have the signature billiard table in the lobby?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does this hotel have the signature billiard table in the lobby?
No, the lobby is the size of a postage stamp and gets very busy since the upper and lower elevator banks force everyone to get off in the lobby and change elevators.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
No, the lobby is the size of a postage stamp and gets very busy since the upper and lower elevator banks force everyone to get off in the lobby and change elevators.
FWIW, I had no crowding issues in the lobby or elevator waits on Saturday/Sunday.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
FWIW, I had no crowding issues in the lobby or elevator waits on Saturday/Sunday.
I didn’t say there were wait issues for the elevator…..said it was a small lobby that didn’t have room for a pool table and it that gets busy with luggage carts and people waiting to check in and check out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.