FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Domes Miramare, a Luxury Collection Resort, Corfu Greece [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1915316-domes-miramare-luxury-collection-resort-corfu-greece-master-thread.html)

DIM Aug 4, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi, guys. From your experience - any chance for any upgrade there as Bonvoy Gold? Have a sea view room booked on points in 2 weeks. Oh, I know, there are a lot of Plat. and Titanium guests and August is a high season - just asking in advance to low my expectations ;)))

escapefromphl Aug 4, 2021 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by DIM (Post 33465114)
Hi, guys. From your experience - any chance for any upgrade there as Bonvoy Gold? Have a sea view room booked on points in 2 weeks. Oh, I know, there are a lot of Plat. and Titanium guests and August is a high season - just asking in advance to low my expectations ;)))

Respond to their email and lay it on thick, special occasion, special anniversary, trip of a lifetime etc. Not much chance of a suite upgrade but maybe they will throw in breakfast or something.

sbryans605 Aug 5, 2021 3:33 am

Originally Posted by DIM (Post 33465114)

Visited three times as Bonvoy Gold (was upgraded one of out three visits - in trip last September to a Pavilion room). They don't seem to upgrade ahead of the trip, but seem more than happy to if there is rooms available when you check in. Very high occupancy rate at the moment, but hotel doesn't feel too busy

SEA777GUY Aug 6, 2021 4:50 am

Just completed a 3 day stay here as a titanium. A lot of my experience was the same as others. I will offer a few data points.

- Be very careful with room selection using SNA. I didn't look closely and selected the Emerald Retreat, Guest room, 1 King, Beachfront, that is essentially a standard room. Not even close to being beachfront Poof 3 SNA gone
- Room was infested with ants. They had to come 3 times to remove them. Lots, and lots of ants

​​​​​​- Multiple issues with door key to access room. Had to have it rekeyed 3 times.

- Friend is also here for 8 nights as a Titanium. SNA rejected and standard room given.

ysbyvr Aug 6, 2021 7:20 am

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY (Post 33468685)
- Be very careful with room selection using SNA. I didn't look closely and selected the Emerald Retreat, Guest room, 1 King, Beachfront, that is essentially a standard room. Not even close to being beachfront Poof 3 SNA gone

Thanks for noting this. I have a 4 night stay coming up with a SNA applied and selected the Emerald Retreat Beachfront option as possibility. I realized it's a standard room, but was thinking that tried to secure a beachfront room might still be worth it given the likely high occupancy (and I have a few extra SNAs). Is it really not beachfront at all? Do you have any pictures by chance?

lost_in_translation Aug 6, 2021 8:55 am

I haven’t stayed this year yet so perhaps things have changed, but my impression is this hotel has a sizeable following of fairly loyal (mostly Brit) guests. When I stayed over the opening weekend last year my neighbours on both sizes in the Pavilion Suites were British couples on their 4-5 stay at Miramare who returned every year. My impression is this hotel prioritises repeat guests for upgrades over random status members who may never come back, which makes sense. My upgrades definitely got better the more I stayed previously and this includes an upgrade to the HRH Ivory Villa on one short stay (albeit I’d booked a Pavillion Suite already). Looking forward to returning this year and hoping some of the above issues are temporary!

thaliajen Aug 9, 2021 3:34 am

You’re all lucky they took your suite night awards! I made our reservation in March and was told by Hotel Reservation lady that SNA’s weren’t accepted. I have degenerative disc disease and CRPS and need a tub 3-4 times a day. When I contacted them, it was no tubs in the regular rooms but I could pay 5 grand for my 5 nights AND they’d still take my points, lol. I’m traveling with a good friend and got all our nights on points- 2 rooms. I’m not arriving until Wednesday so it’ll be interesting to see if we get upgraded or not. They’ve been sold out for about 2 weeks. Under SPG, I was staying on points and still got an upgrade at Athen’s famed Hotel Bretagne. Both my friend and I had our own rooms and baths, a chocolate “bar” with all kinds of candy daily. We got fresh roses and unbelievable gifts! The rooms connected through a special living room. Then in Crete we were upgraded by paying a little cash to add to the points. We had our own bi-level suite, 2 bathrooms and our own pool! The Luxury Collection outdid itself. I continued getting lucky in the states with Luxury Collection suites, and was shocked by our own little home at Vedema. Every one knew your name, the little houses were scattered about, and ours was divided by a living room. So on points, we had a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath suite, and it exceeded every expectation and more. I had 5 SNA’s; it would’ve been nice to use them. I don’t know what they’ll give us, but after 4 months of planning, I’m hopeful but not crazy!

LilZeppelin Aug 9, 2021 2:35 pm

we had a five night stay the first week of July to redeem our accumulated credit card nights as it seemed to give a good rate of return on them. As Titanium Platinum our suite upgrade request was denied but the hotel claimed they upgraded us to “beachfront” room. Note that all of the rooms face the sea but some might be slightly further away from it. However, the place is perfect to relax, enjoy wonderful views of the sea and mainland mountains, have a swim, enjoy the loungers. The hotel does not feel crowded even with full occupancy perhaps due to absence of children. Their open-air gym is small but functional; in addition some TRX straps on one of the lawns are available, where they also offer yoga and pilates. We appreciated the hotel’s location on the beach, even though the sea has a lot of pebbles on the entry and it’s best to bring water shoes for entry. Breakfast was served buffet style. Interestingly, there was no toaster, and but they had expensive olive oils to taste (Governor’s oil selling for 60Eur in the lobby), which were very good. Service in the restaurant was a bit slow, with long waits for ordering coffee and then actually getting your coffee. Filter coffee tasted horrible, but espresso-based drinks were fine. Front desk was very inexperienced. At checkout they could not even print out our folio, (email-version never came); they would beat around the bush about the late checkout in advance, while on the day of departure they denied it (they actually gave us till 12 rather than 11am). They provided us with a “shower room, but had hard time arranging it and actually sent us to a dirty room with literally unflushed toilet, dirty sheets and towels. In addition to afore-mentioned yoga classes hotel has occasional events, such as olive-oil tasting, that they do not advertise anywhere. But you can text the front desk, and if you ask maybe they’d tell you. There seems to be water-sports cottage at the end of the beach, but I did not see any info about what is on offer there. Parking is free and if there are no spots available, the bellmen would park your car for you and would leave the keys with the front desk. It is a good idea to have a car so as to experience a bit of Corfu, it is such a beautiful island with plenty of tavernas on the beach. We ordered room-service several nights and while the food was very good, the ambiance in local tavernas is something not to miss. Also, they provided with a complimentary half hour massage. It is a bit of a task to book it, so you need to do that right away once you check-in not to miss it. All in all, happy to have redeemed our nights here and would stay here again.

Ontariotraveller Aug 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the information!
Heading to Domes Miramare for 12 days on September 10th.
Booked a basic room with points but like all of us we are hoping for an upgrade and late check out based on my titanium status.
Looking forward to travelling again.
We hope to take the local bus into Corfu town a few times and take excursion with Captain Homers boat tours.
if anyone has additional tips or hints, please post!

escapefromphl Aug 30, 2021 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller (Post 33530716)
Thanks everyone for the information!
Heading to Domes Miramare for 12 days on September 10th.
Booked a basic room with points but like all of us we are hoping for an upgrade and late check out based on my titanium status.
Looking forward to travelling again.
We hope to take the local bus into Corfu town a few times and take excursion with Captain Homers boat tours.
if anyone has additional tips or hints, please post!

Beaches: Rent a car for a day and go to Porto Timoni beach, its a bit of a hike down but very pretty.
Rovinia beach was also nice. There are a few on the west side which can only be accessed by boat.
Halikounas beach had a laid back vibe as well, only about 15 min from Domes.
Also enjoyed the Governers olive oil tasting.

Ontariotraveller Aug 31, 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 33531774)
Beaches: Rent a car for a day and go to Porto Timoni beach, its a bit of a hike down but very pretty.
Rovinia beach was also nice. There are a few on the west side which can only be accessed by boat.
Halikounas beach had a laid back vibe as well, only about 15 min from Domes.
Also enjoyed the Governers olive oil tasting.

thanks for that!
how did you find driving on Corfu?
We are a little nervous about it…

escapefromphl Aug 31, 2021 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller (Post 33533061)
thanks for that!

Not bad, really, but I've driven all over the world. If you've driven in any other European country it's not much different.

RedSun Aug 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller (Post 33533061)
thanks for that!

I can’t say about Corfu. But from my experience driving in Crete, you will need to learn how to pass beyond dotted yellow line. Also learn to yield to faster cars behind you. Some roads can be steep.

PETERPNYC Aug 31, 2021 7:29 pm

Quite a few good restaurants in the Town of BENITSES. Very close by bus or cab with real Greek Food Vibes etc and only about 5-6 Km IIRC

Corfu Town and The Castle Parks etc is a Must , Espaniada . Liston etc .

La Tavala Calda in Town excellent. Tell Nino Peter from NYC Sent you

dodgeflyer Sep 1, 2021 10:39 am

We just stayed there for two nights as it appears to be the only good hotel in Corfu where we found ourselves after staying at a nearby island.

Personally, I strongly dislike hotels within loyalty programs so beware of that bias.

We booked through STAR (what difference that’s to virtuoso I don’t understand) for a haute living sea view room. We were upgraded to sea facing room.

We were checked in late (despite arriving early) however this was august. We were given a temporary room so saw the basic rooms. How that qualifies as luxury I don’t understand, and saw someone online saying this was a 3* hotel based on the rooms. They must have stayed in one of those… hotel is truly of two halves. Lots of the haute living rooms aren’t great for privacy. Any low numbered suite will have plenty of people walking past, one of the villas had full insight into their private pool. My view is that the room we stayed in (111] is the only decent seafront room, and if you want a pool, 112 is the one to go for.

Barely used the lounge but clearly lots of comped/status users which is one of the things I dislike.

Service so so. If going to Corfu, probably the place to stay. Making it a destination - I’d think twice.