FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Domes Miramare, a Luxury Collection Resort, Corfu Greece [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1915316-domes-miramare-luxury-collection-resort-corfu-greece-master-thread.html)

escapefromphl Sep 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by cbellero (Post 31528241)
I do not see a compelling reason to take the boat. Further rental cars are so cheap on the island.

Bear in mind that finding parking in the old town can be an ordeal in-season.

cbellero Sep 15, 2019 11:48 pm

There are also public buses available nearby the hotel. I have seen several tourists waiting for them with their luggage.

SanDiego1K Sep 17, 2019 11:01 am

This is our third night here. We had 3 one night bookings, two on my titanium account and one on my husband's platinum account. I had written in advance to ask that we remain in the same room all three nights. That didn't happen, though my two nights were in the same room. The hotel generously upgraded us all nights and it allowed us to experience both the Pavilion end of the hotel and the other somewhat higher density end.

Nights one and two were in a Pavilion Retreat Sea View. It was immediately across the courtyard from the main building. Although it was in the back row of buildings, it had no building in front. Thus the view to the sea was unobstructed. It was a bedroom with a chair and footstool and a small desk. There was minimal surface space in the room, not very convenient. The bathroom had a massive sink with a tiny rim so no place to set out toiletries. It had a comfortable terrace with a two person jacuzzi tub, two chairs and two loungers. We used the Living Room and were underwhelmed with its offerings. We were given kind permission to host cbellero and enjoyed having a place to visit.

Night three was spent in an emerald suite sea view. We loved it. It had a spacious living room and separate bedroom along with two bathrooms with walk in showers. It also had a terrace with a small table and chairs. It had a view over lawn direct to the sea. Buildings on this side of the property and two story. The first building beyond the main building surrounds the swimming pool and pool bar. I was very happy with this location and preferred the suite to being on the Pavilion side without a suite.

The hotel is beautiful and luxurious. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the top property on Corfu. We rented a car for roughly 25 euros a day. Parking is easy and free at the hotel. It's off season on Corfu and there isn't a lot of traffic on the roads. Parking is difficult anywhere we went.

Most of the staff is very young. It's a seasonal property and we found many to be returning to university once the property closes for the winter.

cbellero Sep 18, 2019 2:31 am

If you do not want to stay on property for food and activities, you can easily walk past the guard house at the sound end of the property along the beach. You will immediately stumble upon a boat rental (http://privilegespeedboats.com). I can recommend them. The boats are new and in good condition. We tried this out yesterday and had great fun with SanDiego1K's partner. @SanDiego1K, you missed out! :)

Otherwise if you walk along the beach you will come to many hotels, bars and tavernas offering perhaps a change to the luxury hotel atmosphere. There were a couple of place's we liked and will visit again. We missed out on the Elvis impersonator at one bar, but may still have thee chance on Friday night. :) As one might expect, the prices along this strip are lower than in the hotel.

The hotel has a tennis court which can be used during daylight. Racquets and balls are available from the reception. It is a nice court, but we found it to generally be too hot to play an intensive game.

cbellero Sep 23, 2019 12:03 am

Some final comments about this hotel. I kind of got the impression that they think the Ambassador level is lower than platinum, based upon SanDiego1K's different experience with regards to upgrades during the same period. It is a point about which I have written the general manager.

I also came to understand that they will finish another section of the hotel complex, which is across the street and on the hill. This would be a section for families and would largely be self-contained. It is unclear to me how they will give them beach access. In any case, it will become a bit more challenging for them to market the existing sections adults-only. I envisage there being lots of arguments over people trying to bend the rules to their advantage.

Finally I am attaching the bus schedule. It is a viable option for those wanting to avoid the pricey taxi fares to and from Corfu town.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2305ebc51f.jpg

SPLP007 Sep 23, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by cbellero (Post 31553015)
Some final comments about this hotel. I kind of got the impression that they think the Ambassador level is lower than platinum, based upon SanDiego1K's different experience with regards to upgrades during the same period. It is a point about which I have written the general manager.

I also came to understand that they will finish another section of the hotel complex, which is across the street and on the hill. This would be a section for families and would largely be self-contained. It is unclear to me how they will give them beach access. In any case, it will become a bit more challenging for them to market the existing sections adults-only. I envisage there being lots of arguments over people trying to bend the rules to their advantage.

Finally I am attaching the bus schedule. It is a viable option for those wanting to avoid the pricey taxi fares to and from Corfu town.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2305ebc51f.jpg

Thanks for the sked -
1-Did you take the bus to or from the hotel to the airport?
2-How long was the ride?
3 Did it have a place for the luggage?

MikeyBee Oct 13, 2019 10:19 am

Just stayed here for several days at the end of the season. TLDR: a very classy luxury resort, with impeccable service especially on the Pavilions side.

We stayed on points, hoping to use SNAs for an upgrade to something better than the standard room. I'm Starriott Plat so an on-arrival upgrade was possible but based on previous experience listed in this thread, unreliable. SNA options include suites both in the regular part of the hotel and rooms and suites on the Pavilion side that are more private, may have outdoor whirlpools and/or pools, and include access to the "Haute Living" lounge. There's also 2x 2-bed suites and 2 villas. My SNA cleared 5 nights out to a Pavilions Retreat room with an outdoor whirlpool. The number of rooms on the Pavilions side is quite limited, and while there was a little availability 5 nights out when my SNAs cleared, while I was there I saw zero availability on the Marriott app for other Pavilions rooms, even for just a night or two. This suggests to me that turning up and expecting a Pavilions upgrade on the day would be a risky manoeuvre...

Looking at the site plan I think there are 21 rooms on the Pavilions side, plus the 2-bed suites and villas, listed in order of increasing desirability: (all these were SNA options, along with Emerald suites)

2 x Pavilion Waterfront - no whirlpool or pool but sea front location
9 x Pavilion Retreat - with outdoor whirlpool
2 x Pavilion Suite Waterfront - with private pool and sea front location
8 x Pavilion Suite - with private pool and outdoor whirlpool
(could be +/- 1 for each of these if I miscounted)

So, if you really want a suite you're more likely to get this on the Emerald side of the hotel.

The welcome at the resort was warm and friendly, with a welcome cocktail, an introduction to the facilities and a list of activites (very similar to as posted previously). We had a couple of small problems in our room and they were fixed in minutes, with a followup from the staff later to make sure everything was OK. There was a lovely generous welcome gift on arrival - we were celebrating a special occasion, but it could have been standard. The rooms are not huge but are light, modern and with large bathrooms - our sink was so big you could bathe in it. Each Pavilions room has its own outdoor area with deckchairs and sunloungers. Ours was set back from the front but still had a sea view, I think this is more private than the waterfront rooms where anyone walking past to the Haute Living lounge gets to gawp at you. There's steps and jettys into the sea, which in October was still warm enough for a dip. The sea bottom is mostly sandy and shelves very gently.

The Haute Living concept is good - a stylish lounge open from 9am to midnight, with a private pool, private area of waterfront, and free-flowing drinks both alcoholic and non, served by a friendly team who only worked in the lounge and who we got to know well over our stay. There were rarely more than 4 other people there at the same time as us. Some days we turned up at 2pm and were told we were the first visitors of the day. Food options were more limited - there were nibbles and fruit available throughout the day, but there was no sign of anything that could pass as a main dish.

Breakfast is perhaps the best hotel breakfast I've had anywhere (and I've had a few) in terms of quality and presentation. Pink fizz available, fresh smoothies, many local specialities (e.g. 8 different types of local honey) and all the international staples. A slight leaning towards the sweet tooth for breakfast, but that is not unusual in southern Europe. A leisurely breakfast on the waterfront with live piano in the background was a really great start to the day. We didn't eat in the hotel otherwise, I looked at the dinner menu and it was Greek cuisine at prices 4-8x those available in the tavernas outside (fresh fish = 80 euros per kilo!). Based on breakfast I'm sure it was good, but I like to support local businesses too. Possibly because it was end of season, the "gastronomy" restaurant appeared to be closed, and sushi was being served in the lobby bar rather than in the dedicated sushi restaurant upstairs.

The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the small town, there's a mini market in between for staples. The main strip of the town is not great, nor is the beach area, unless burgers and fries with Elvis every Tuesday and Friday night is your thing. But head up the hill to the old village and there are two good local tavernas - the Village Taverna and the Bella Vista - the former did us a "secret surprise menu" of local dishes (including the best goat I've ever had!) and the latter indeed has a spectacular view over the bay.

You're about 45 minutes south of Corfu Town, and an hour and a half drive from the very pretty north east and north west of the island, so the location isn't perfect for a load of sightseeing, but if that's what you're here for, I'd stay somewhere where you want to spend less time... Corfu has more than its fair share of tourist overdevelopment disasters but if you find the right areas there is still plenty of authentic, unspoilt island Greece to be found here.

It's an adult-only resort - hurrah. The Domes clientele are mostly middle aged European couples, Brits and Germans, with a smattering of younger couples.. The atmosphere is therefore refined and restrained, even before the staff add their friendly but impeccable service on top. You might expect free-flowing alcohol in the HL lounge to lead to some "behaviour", but none was seen, at all. We ourselves were probably at the more lush end of the scale... :-)

As a previous poster said, they're planning an extension on land behind the hotel. Hhow they will keep the refined and special nature of the existing resort, remains to be seen. Get in a visit soon before it changes...

brokenwindow Oct 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Too long to stay here for 10/11 nights? Planning a visit towards end of June next year.

SanDiego1K Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by brokenwindow (Post 31624155)
Too long to stay here for 10/11 nights? Planning a visit towards end of June next year.

In my opinion, much too long. We spent 3 nights, did some sightseeing, ate at the north end of the island, rented a boat for the best part of a day, and were ready to move on.

SPLP007 Oct 13, 2019 4:02 pm

If you like sunbathing and swimming it is a great place - this year we stayed 20 nights at Domes Chania ( adult only) and 6 nights on Corfu - next year will stay the month of July at Corfu

escapefromphl Oct 13, 2019 5:47 pm

IMO yes. Spend a few nights on Paxos or even take the ferry to Lefkada or Kefalonia if you want to stay in Ionian islands.

tajee165 Feb 21, 2020 1:24 am

Anyone know the cost of breakfast? I’m only a Gold. 😬

escapefromphl Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tajee165 (Post 32096243)
Anyone know the cost of breakfast? I’m only a Gold. 😬

It was €40 pp last year though there is a chance you could get it for free. You might want to enquire with the property, It seemed like most guests were getting breakfast included. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...n_Islands.html

escapefromphl May 5, 2020 2:00 pm

If you book prepaid through the property breakfast is included. 20 Euro pp extra for half board isn't a bad deal either.

https://www.domesmiramare.com/wp-con...CORFU-2020.pdf

topperchris Jun 21, 2020 8:18 am

Re-Opening date

Does anybody know when they are re-opening?

Cannot find anything on their webpage or on social media.

From the reservation system it looks like July 17.

Thanks in advance!