Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think some doth protest too much. Just sayin...
Old May 26, 2019, 12:42 pm

Speaking as a lowly titanium here (near 100 nights but not near $20k spend), my guess, based on the wild variance in people's experiences, is that the ambassadors are overloaded and are prioritizing their time based on the members' spend (or some other metric, spend/night etc).

That would certainly explain why someone who "accidentally" got Ambassador gets zero response.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Although I've been disappointed and occasionally appalled at the way the loyalty program has been managed since the merger, at the hotel level, which is what matters most to me, I have very few complaints. With one possible exception, as a Lifetime Titanium member I have been upgraded to at least a standard suite on every Marriott stay since the merger. The only potential failure was the St. Regis Osaka, where there were several lower level suites open during a brief paid stay, which I am willing to overlook based on the reviews of others on FT whose opinions I respect.

Both the SPG and MR side had IT problems, but I had few issues besides the disclosure of my family's personal data caused by the breach. My biggest complaints were due to use of social media to communicate certain impending changes instead of direct communication with customers and the unwillingness to tell members what the conversion rate from old to new travel packages was until it was too late to make changes.

Off topic:

Honestly, I have received at least the advertised benefits at Fairmont, Hilton, Hyatt and IHG in almost every case. Although many criticize Hilton for lack of elite benefits, I believe I received a suite upgrade on close to 100% of my stays. My best upgrade last year was at the Intercontinental in Osaka when using the certificate that came with my $49 per year credit card. At the Explorist level, there are few benefits for me at Hyatt but I did receive one very nice upgrade at a Park Hyatt last year.

Most of my hotel complaints have been the result of inconsiderate guest behavior of other guests and the failure of the hotel to deal with it appropriately. Examples across different chains would include: loud arguments and parities long past midnight that the hotel wouldn't deal with, allowing excessive cell phone use and large business meetings in the lounge, letting people bring their own speakers to the pool or beach, and a dog that barked for hours in a nearby room. Obviously, those issues can and do happen at any hotel chain.

Although I don't need a lot of personal attention, I do appreciate having lounge access due to the additional staff interaction. In general, I find lounge employees more willing to suggest restaurants that locals frequent, instead of the typical tourist ones, than concierges. When things are less busy, I enjoy the chance to learn and practice my minimal foreign language skills with lounge staff.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by rny321; May 26, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Speaking as a lowly titanium here (near 100 nights but not near $20k spend), my guess, based on the wild variance in people's experiences, is that the ambassadors are overloaded and are prioritizing their time based on the members' spend (or some other metric, spend/night etc).

That would certainly explain why someone who "accidentally" got Ambassador gets zero response.
Could be. It also could simply be a function of non standardization, or the requests aren't tracked in SFDC yet to be able to really pull metrics.

My ambassador has responded promptly to me. That said, I have reached out 3 total times for tiny things that my Ambassador has handled immediately. It could also be that my ambassador got a set of people like me, who put the DND/MAGC door hangar immediately after check in and need/want nothing else; which means they have more time for the other members who reach out more or have more requests.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I think it says a lot about the Marriott Bonvoy elite recognition when so many people now are discussing how Titanium status is so good to them that the cost/benefit isn’t worth it for them go for Ambassador status.
damon88 and rny321 like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Funny, I didn't really hear Starwood had an "atrocious" footprint pre-merger...I did 900 nights in 9 years with them, and I can count on one hand the amount of times a property wasn't available to me. But yes, if you are a traveling salesperson and need to be in small towns - Marriott is the program for you!
But it did. The reason I switched a lot of stays to Marriott from SPG back in 2014 was that it was increasingly difficult to find hotels in certain places. The acquisition worked out well for me, as I went from being far away on LT status to having it as those years and nights now added up.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If Marriott actually wanted to improve Ambassador, Globalist is a good benchmark - no resort fees on any stay, no parking fees on award stays, Guest of Honor benefit, advance confirmable upgrades, full/real breakfast no matter what, add'l benefits/incentives once you hit the top tier...IMO it's shocking how good it is, the more I learn about it. Heck, if Marriott matched ANY single one of them, people in this forum would be hailing Marriott for how elite-friendly they are.
Absolutely. Plenty of things that Marriott can adopt or learn from from Hyatt.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it says a lot about the Marriott Bonvoy elite recognition when so many people now are discussing how Titanium status is so good to them that the cost/benefit isn’t worth it for them go for Ambassador status.
Improvement by Marriott ... which is very good
Old May 26, 2019, 4:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Great point
Old May 26, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Pre-upgraded to One Bedroom Suite at Ritz-Carlton Georgetown

Just checked and was pleased to see I’ve already been pre-upgraded to a One Bedroom Executive Suite for my return stay at the RC Georgetown for the coming weekend.

I’d say my Ambassador status makes quite a difference. Wouldn’t you?

So much for needing SNAs when Ritz-Carlton treats an Ambassador guest right, anyway.

So my suite upgrade tally for only Ritz-Carlton in the USA in 2019:

RC Coconut Grove: pre-upgraded to Partial Water View One Bedroom Suite
RC Washington: pre-upgraded to best category Premium room...almost sold out property
RC Boston: arrived and upgraded to Executive One Bedroom Suite...sold out property
RC Georgetown: booked Executive Suite, no upgrade..sold out property
RC Chicago: booked Executive Suite, upgraded to Gold Coast One Bedroom Suite...almost sold out property
RC Bacara Santa Barbara: pre-upgraded to Garden View One Bedroom Suite, later upgraded to Oceanview One Bedroom Suite...sold out property
RC Half Moon Bay: pre-upgraded to Ocean House Firepit One Bedroom Suite, almost sold out property
RC Georgetown (upcoming): pre-upgraded to Executive One Bedroom Suite, property seems close to sold out
RC Boston (upcoming): booked in entry level room...so time will tell

I do believe my Ambassador status and/or my Ambassador has made a bit of an impact.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
One has to admit that nobody else other than high profile bloggers are seeing the same results as you, though. It may very well be true to say that your Ambassador is making the difference, but I have to suspect it comes at least in part from you directing significant amounts of business revenue to the firm.

I’ve only ever had one suite upgrade at an RC property in about 10-15 stays now and I know for a fact that it wasn’t down to my Ambassador status.

I do suspect that I get slightly better upgrades at legacy SPG properties than previously, and my earn/ burn rates are significantly better than before. The downside though is a vast amount of extra admin from the system continually causing problems as well as the inability of customer service to address any service failings above the level of my Ambassador. Objectively I could conclude that in many ways I’m doing better than before, but I dislike doing business with companies which don’t meet their ends of the contract as reliably as I meet mine by paying so I suspect this might be my last year with Marriott (admittedly I’m hedging my bets - I suspect I will requalify as Ambassador again without particularly trying).
Old May 26, 2019, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
One has to admit that nobody else other than high profile bloggers are seeing the same results as you, though. It may very well be true to say that your Ambassador is making the difference, but I have to suspect it comes at least in part from you directing significant amounts of business revenue to the firm.
”The firm” still sounds so nefarious to me!

Considering my group booking revenue doesn’t count at all toward Ambassador status, I actually find it difficult to believe that has much impact. But I can’t say that for sure.

I can say that I didn’t involve my Ambassador directly in this booking at all—as it again will just be me for a leisure weekend seeing friends and family before my work travel begins that Sunday. (I switch then to the Le Meridien Arlington.) So this treatment may be due more to the positive interactions I had with the senior management during my last stay. The fact that I’m both a returning guest and an Ambassador guest also may be a positive factor in my favor. I’m sure the fact that I had booked a suite the first time doesn’t hurt, either.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The downside though is a vast amount of extra admin from the system continually causing problems as well as the inability of customer service to address any service failings above the level of my Ambassador. Objectively I could conclude that in many ways I’m doing better than before, but I dislike doing business with companies which don’t meet their ends of the contract as reliably as I meet mine by paying so I suspect this might be my last year with Marriott (admittedly I’m hedging my bets - I suspect I will requalify as Ambassador again without particularly trying).
Bolding mine. Do you mind sharing what customer service failings aren’t being handled by your Ambassador or above your Ambassador? I’m most sorry, of course. But I’m also quite surprised.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

............I do believe my Ambassador status and/or my Ambassador has made a bit of an impact.
I am convinced there are many levels within AMB. Something akin to BA CIV scores. bhrubin likely has CIV of 105 while mine is closer to 0.

To non BA flyers, BA CIV scores is rumored to be between 0 and 105. It started as 0 to 100 but another VVIP level (105) was added later.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:02 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We only travel for leisure and yet I find most of the Marriott hotels we stay at reward us with similar treatment as bhrubin experiences.
bhrubin and Flying for Fun like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
We only travel for leisure and yet I find most of the Marriott hotels we stay at reward us with similar treatment as bhrubin experiences.
And yet I’ve threatened @damon88 with poorer treatment unless they meet us this summer. It’s a California thing.
C17PSGR, damon88 and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.