Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My favorite was the one that said that some horrid brand was the best hotel in town because it had a fast elevator.
I've had stays like that. Well, more like the opposite, stays ruined by elevators. There's very little more frustrating than staying on the 40th floor of a hotel with 4 elevators and having to wait 20 minutes to get to your room.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I trust FT a lot more than TA for hotel (and other) reviews.
Yes. of course. But if you want any chance of the feedback getting to people associated with the property then TA is a much better avenue. Maybe if an owner reads about issues with his/her property they just might look into it. Posting of FT has very little chance of getting any attention (some exceptions do exist) and our exposure is pretty limited compared to the people that read TA.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes. of course. But if you want any chance of the feedback getting to people associated with the property then TA is a much better avenue. Maybe if an owner reads about issues with his/her property they just might look into it. Posting of FT has very little chance of getting any attention (some exceptions do exist) and our exposure is pretty limited compared to the people that read TA.
Agreed. I think some GM's have bonus plans tied into TA scores. It certainly has more posters and TA makes sure their posts appear at the top of google searches. So I suppose its normal for the property to pay attention.

That being said, I can't read more than a couple of TA reviews without losing interest. My sense is that most posters on TA either rarely travel or are retirees traveling on a tight budget.

GM's would be be well advised to see what their best customers think and that's on FT!
MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:58 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Exactly. Which is why I always post my reviews here and also on TripAdvisor. I always get more responsiveness from my reviews on TA.
damon88 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: MR Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I have said for many years that many of the complaints levied at the Ambassadors are better directed to the hotels that fail to execute. Bad hotels don’t execute well, regardless of how good an Ambassdor may or may not be. Your Ambassador in this case did her job very well, but the hotel simply blew it. A true shame.

I couldn't agree more. So far my Ambassador has been great. She's been very responsive and I feel very fortunate.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hopefully, this unfortunate incident had made you more aware that your Ambassador actually is pretty good at her job and has been trying hard to make some of your hotel stays more special. In the future, hopefully you will have better luck in choosing better hotels—and she can take better care to follow up to better ensure yo get what she intends!

For everyone else, I do hope that this unfortunate example may make others realize that many if not most of the problems we experience at hotels are rarely the fault of our Ambassadors. They aren’t perfect, but the hotels are far more likely to get it wrong than perhaps some have assumed about their Ambassadors.
Again, I completely agree. I have no complaints about her and my interactions with her to this point have been indicative that she IS very good at her job. Regarding your second point, the challenge that Marriott might have in the future is the fact that if they make promises of the Ambassador service and the weak leak is continually the hotels failing to deliver, that's nothing but frustrating for all of us AND frankly, the Ambassadors. If further failures occur, even if it's not the Ambassadors' faults, it doesn't exactly put the best foot forward. Perhaps Marriott needs a compliance program (which may include secret shoppers) to ensure that hotels in their constellation are delivering in accordance with the Terms and Conditions as well as the expectations set by the Ambassador program.
andrewstahl and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Very true. Only once in 15 years do I remember a GM reaching out to me after reading a post on Flyertalk. It was many years ago for the Pulitzer in Amsterdam. They had a wonderful manager who really cared about his guests. But RogerD408 is correct. TA is the way to go if you want attention.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I just wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to the social media group that has been posting in this thread. Unbeknownst to me, my ambassador had sent an introductory email last weekend, I had never seen the email and reached out to William. He was able to get me a copy of my ambassador’s email to me.

i wrote back to her today and look forward to having a single point of contact. I’ve been platinum every year (earned) for 19 years. This should be a treat.

just as an aside, I have learned that according to SPGs Marsha system (they have a slightly modified system until they fully integrate with Marriott) I am listed as an X5 Marriott member. This was always the system code for Five Star members. That seemed interesting. Platinum Premier was always X4 in the Marriott system.

Ill keep everyone posted as to when I hear back from my ambassador and my experiences.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Chewie
I am listed as an X5 Marriott member. This was always the system code for Five Star members. That seemed interesting. Platinum Premier was always X4 in the Marriott system.
they took the easy route and simply remapped the new statuses into the old codes (and renamed 5 star to pp with amb). it makes you wonder if a secret tier (like plat premier used to be before its devalue) / 5 star level for super VIPs is in the works or else what are the mitt romneys of the world suppose to have now?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:27 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
I've had stays like that. Well, more like the opposite, stays ruined by elevators. There's very little more frustrating than staying on the 40th floor of a hotel with 4 elevators and having to wait 20 minutes to get to your room.
I quite liked the JW Marriott Dubai but totally understand how half the reviews are negative specifically calling out the elevators. They are INFURIATING, they make me want to commit unspeakable acts. Every. Single. Time. Argh, I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it.

(Otherwise great stay at a great hotel)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Out of curiosity: what is five star? First I hear of it.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Five Star was the special designation given to “Friends of Bill” and franchise/property owners. You can do a search on FT or even google.
C17PSGR and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:57 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Chewie
Five Star was the special designation given to “Friends of Bill” and franchise/property owners. You can do a search on FT or even google.
Apparently the Board of Directors of Marriott also hold the Five Star status.

I am only from the SPG side so I see the Starwood VIP status similar to the Marriott Five Star. Starwood VIP was given to senators/Congressman to help "educate" the contributions of the hotel industry. President George W Bush was given Starwood VIP status after staying in the St Regis Beijing.

It's also a tool to grease the wheels in abroad where rule of law is weak. Some times Marriott Five Star treatment brings stronger persuasion in negotiations. Most times, things get done. Once a rare while, you get caught like Goldman Sachs did in Malaysia.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interesting ... I was greeted at check in at a legacy Marriott the other day as "Thank you for being a VIP member." I thought it was odd but was with someone so I didn't follow up. Later, I was down at the desk with a questions and asked a different FDA what status she saw and she said "you're VIP status, that means you have an ambassador." I was in a hurry and didn't have time to ask her to show me the screen.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Interesting ... I was greeted at check in at a legacy Marriott the other day as "Thank you for being a VIP member." I thought it was odd but was with someone so I didn't follow up. Later, I was down at the desk with a questions and asked a different FDA what status she saw and she said "you're VIP status, that means you have an ambassador." I was in a hurry and didn't have time to ask her to show me the screen.
I like the sound of that a lot better than "oh, you're a Plat - the place is crawling with your ilk."
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GTJoe
I couldn't agree more. So far my Ambassador has been great. She's been very responsive and I feel very fortunate.

Again, I completely agree. I have no complaints about her and my interactions with her to this point have been indicative that she IS very good at her job. Regarding your second point, the challenge that Marriott might have in the future is the fact that if they make promises of the Ambassador service and the weak leak is continually the hotels failing to deliver, that's nothing but frustrating for all of us AND frankly, the Ambassadors. If further failures occur, even if it's not the Ambassadors' faults, it doesn't exactly put the best foot forward. Perhaps Marriott needs a compliance program (which may include secret shoppers) to ensure that hotels in their constellation are delivering in accordance with the Terms and Conditions as well as the expectations set by the Ambassador program.
I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the the program but having a very good relationship with my Ambassador, I have learned a few things.most all being that they don't have 'authority' over the hotels, they are dependent on the hotel responding and executing any special requests they make. That being said, they will call the hotel and 'pester' them about upgrades (non-SNA as that is all systematic and they cannot impact them), they'll ask them to do special things for you, like an extra welcome gift, especially when you are on a special vacation. If they've been around a while they have relationships with various properties and they can usually work more magic with them than a random property they've never spoken to (i.e. the entire Marriott brand).

The odd flaw in the process is that if your Ambassador wants to do something special for you, if they don't tell you, you don't know they asked the hotel to do it. So are you supposed say 'hey btw, I didn't get anything special delivered to my room when I checked in'. It's not a guaranteed thing. All I know is the first 3 Ambassador's I had did nothing special on my personal vacations with Mrs. Deac83, the only way I knew I was missing out on anything was because I had colleagues that had Ambassadors that would send things like wine and chocolate covered strawberry's to them each time they checked in.

Having been PP for many years at Marriott and now many years with an Ambassador, I can say the failure point is primarily with the hotel. At least with the Ambassador you have someone that can watch your back and when things don't go right they can work with you to make it better next time. I only felt like the hotels really recognized me as PP about 10% of the time (in part because of Marriott's insistence of using 'platinum' in that designation) with an Ambassador I feel like the hotels are aware 70-80% of the time.

As someone else said earlier, I look at the relationship as a team effort, she's not my personal assistant, but we work together to make my hotel stays as good as possible.
rny321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.