Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire Amb
Breakfast at PVR Marriott

If you are Titanium Elite,Are you entitled to A Complete Breakfast in Restaurant at Marriott Resort in Mexico (PVR) or not ? same goes for Sheraton Resort in Mexico (PVR). Please let me know.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:19 am

Rule-of-Thumb: For any individual hotel, by the time you work out what breakfast benefit you are entitled to it will be lunchtime
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE
If you are Titanium Elite,Are you entitled to A Complete Breakfast in Restaurant at Marriott Resort in Mexico (PVR) or not ? same goes for Sheraton Resort in Mexico (PVR). Please let me know.
No. However, you are entitled to choice at check-in between welcome points, a welcome amenity, and daily breakfast in the restaurant for yourself and one other person. Unfortunately, what that breakfast is can vary because some properties are claiming toast and coffee are breakfast.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by earnings

Can you please elaborate?

If they offer breakfast as an option for a welcome gift, that covers the breakfast benefit?

or should we be getting the breakfast benefit regardless and opting for another welcome gift?

so far Im offered the option of a gift, points, or breakfast when I check in.
There are two benefits covering two separate provisions of the terms that cover breakfast. One is the breakfast provided under the provision of lounges. This is a "continental" breakfast in the club lounge at some brands. If the hotel doesn't have a lounge or the lounge is closed then it's breakfast in the restaurant. Some but not all hotels claim they only have to provide you a "continental" breakfast in the restaurant since they are only required to provide a "continental" breakfast in the lounge. The problem is lounge breakfasts almost always include hot eggs, hot bacon or sausage, and hot oatmeal. By contrast, "continental" breakfasts served in restaurants almost never include hot options. This is the breakfast benefit that most people are familiar with and it's the one that most people refer to when they ask questions. The second breakfast benefit isn't strictly a breakfast benefit. It's part of the welcome arrival choice you get at check-in at certain hotels (mostly legacy SPG but also resorts). It's a completely separate provision of the terms. Here, the breakfast, if you choose, it is not defined as a "continental" breakfast. It's simply "breakfast." But again, there are widespread reports of hotels (mostly resorts) saying toast and coffee or a bagel and coffee is their breakfast.
earnings likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:59 am

My colleagues and i are Plat Elite and are very disappointed that many Marriot hotels with lounge will only offer breakfast in lounge (often a very limited breakfast) and not breakfast in restaurant.
Recently had that bad experience at marriots in netherlands and russia
It is a very sh--tty way to treat loyal Plat members who stay 50+ per year.
Also the UPGRADE TO BEST AVAILABLE room is never offered unless you insist with front desk

Now we started staying at Hiltons where you can get immediate Gold simply with a credit card and amazingly find that Hilton offer free breakfast in restaurant
or in lounge Just had that nice experiecne at Hilton Strasbourg.
So why bother with marriot at all. they should work harder to deserve our business and dont seem to care
stc likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Rule-of-Thumb: For any individual hotel, by the time you work out what breakfast benefit you are entitled to it will be lunchtime
Quote of the day!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:38 am

deleted - forgot to hit the quote button.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 26, 2019 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by finarg
My colleagues and i are Plat Elite and are very disappointed that many Marriot hotels with lounge will only offer breakfast in lounge (often a very limited breakfast) and not breakfast in restaurant.
Recently had that bad experience at marriots in netherlands and russia
It is a very sh--tty way to treat loyal Plat members who stay 50+ per year.
Also the UPGRADE TO BEST AVAILABLE room is never offered unless you insist with front desk

Now we started staying at Hiltons where you can get immediate Gold simply with a credit card and amazingly find that Hilton offer free breakfast in restaurant
or in lounge Just had that nice experiecne at Hilton Strasbourg.
So why bother with marriot at all. they should work harder to deserve our business and dont seem to care
If you don't like Marriott only offering breakfast in the exec lounge, then you should do as you're doing & stay at a different chain.

But Hilton is not necessarily better. Hilton technically only has to offer a continental breakfast in the restaurant. Not all properties will provide a full breakfast. And unless you're upgraded to exec level or pay for it, you won't have lounge access at all at the Hilton chain as Gold. That was a major reason I dropped Hilton & stuck w/ MAR. No matter if I get an upgrade or not, I always have exec lounge access as Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador at MAR brands.

Not all MAR lounges offer just cont'l breakfast. In Europe in particular they're usually more robust. AMS Marriott in particular does a very robust breakfast offering in the exec lounge. Sorry you had a bad experience with your Netherlands/Russia trips. I've been very lucky w/ room & suite upgrades, but I realize others have not, so that's definitely a case of YMMV.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Not all MAR lounges offer just cont'l breakfast. In Europe in particular they're usually more robust. AMS Marriott in particular does a very robust breakfast offering in the exec lounge.
In fact, I'd say most offer much more than continental in my experience. In the US, the lounges typically have some type of egg and breakfast meat at a minimum. There's one in particular that serves some of the best bacon I've ever had . In Asia you often get a very nice restaurant-quality breakfast. Europe has been hit or miss for me. For example, at the Vienna Marriott, the lounge breakfast is meager, but you have (at least last time I was there) the option of eating in the very nice Parkring restaurant for free instead.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by itravelalot
No. However, you are entitled to choice at check-in between welcome points, a welcome amenity, and daily breakfast in the restaurant for yourself and one other person. Unfortunately, what that breakfast is can vary because some properties are claiming toast and coffee are breakfast.
At the W Punta Mita, the breakfast amenity is coffee, juice, fresh fruit plate, and toast OR a pastry. If you pay an upgrade fee of $30, you and a guest will be upgraded to the AYCE breakfast buffet. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by finarg
If you stay at SPG legacy hotels and resorts or Marriott legacy full-service resorts, you can choose breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as your Platinum Elite Welcome Gift choice.

Also, if you stay at a Marriott legacy full-service hotel, and it has no lounge or the lounge is closed, you'll get breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 in addition to you Platinum Elite Welcome Gift (such as 1,000 points).

In other words, it's not necessary to jump ship to another hotel program just because you like restaurant breakfasts better than lounge breakfasts (although that's an option too).

All else being equal, if I have a choice between a hotel with a lounge and a hotel across the street without one, I'll pick the one with a lounge. I like the convenience of a lounge breakfast. The added bonus is that's it's nice to have lounge access in the evening. But that's just me.

Of course, the major variables are how good the breakfasts are in the lounge and the restaurant. Also, there's the issue of each hotel's definition of "breakfast in the restaurant," which can have many meanings.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Horace
The added bonus is that's it's nice to have lounge access in the evening.
This. I don't always make it to breakfast, whether in lounge or restaurant, but do tend to use the lounge in the evenings.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire Amb
Sheraton PVR & Marriott PVR

Originally Posted by Horace
If you stay at SPG legacy hotels and resorts or Marriott legacy full-service resorts, you can choose breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as your Platinum Elite Welcome Gift choice.

Also, if you stay at a Marriott legacy full-service hotel, and it has no lounge or the lounge is closed, you'll get breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 in addition to you Platinum Elite Welcome Gift (such as 1,000 points).

In other words, it's not necessary to jump ship to another hotel program just because you like restaurant breakfasts better than lounge breakfasts (although that's an option too).

All else being equal, if I have a choice between a hotel with a lounge and a hotel across the street without one, I'll pick the one with a lounge. I like the convenience of a lounge breakfast. The added bonus is that's it's nice to have lounge access in the evening. But that's just me.

Of course, the major variables are how good the breakfasts are in the lounge and the restaurant. Also, there's the issue of each hotel's definition of "breakfast in the restaurant," which can have many meanings.
So Is Marriott PVR a Legacy Hotel/Resort and you get a Complimentary (Full) Breakfast ?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michele Foley

At the W Punta Mita, the breakfast amenity is coffee, juice, fresh fruit plate, and toast OR a pastry. If you pay an upgrade fee of $30, you and a guest will be upgraded to the AYCE breakfast buffet. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.
Did you complain? I wouldn't hesitate to raise this with the general manager. Others on here have also posted the Marriott corporate leadership email addresses before. This should be reported, if only to document it so Marriott can't claim they never receive these complaints.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE
So Is Marriott PVR a Legacy Hotel/Resort and you get a Complimentary (Full) Breakfast ?
At the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa you are given a choice at check-in that includes daily breakfast. Unfortunately, it seems this property is not compliant with the breakfast benefit and offers a "continental breakfast" that is neither on the menu nor offered to guests otherwise paying for breakfast. See here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30529777-post220.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.